1.    #1  
    I may need to doctor my phone, and I'm wondering what I will lose. Never doctored before.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    by the time it is all complete you will only have lost your homebrew, a few settings, and your soul
    nah you gonna lose more than just homebrew
    I just did - basically all files - music, pictures, wallpapers, ringtones, messaging, patches, Preware, etc. are gone.

Kept things that sync with Palm Profile - contacts, apps, calendar

Basically, back everything up onto your computer via usb cable. I keep full backup of my personal things. After doctoring, hook Pre to your computer via usb, open, and drag/drop move everything you want back into your phone.

Yes, it is a pain in the *** - mine started freezing, losing signal, had no choice, so depending upon how much stuff you have, its a pain to reload. But the great thing is you can, much easier than any other phone I have had.

So if in doubt, create Palm Files File and back it up, you won't be sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    I just did - basically all files - music, pictures, wallpapers, ringtones, messaging, patches, Preware, etc. are gone.

Basically, back everything up onto your computer via usb cable. I keep full backup of my personal things. After doctoring, hook Pre to your computer via usb, open, and drag/drop move everything you want back into your phone.

Yes, it is a pain in the *** - mine started freezing, losing signal, had no choice, so depending upon how much stuff you have, its a pain to reload. But the great thing is you can, much easier than any other phone I have had.

I don't know what version of WebOS you Doctored to, but I have doctored many times and the last few versions DO NOT ERASE ANYTHING ON THE USB PORTION OF YOUR PHONE. That means music, pictures and anything you have added there will be there when you are done.

If you were running Preware and Save Restore, those would be the only two homebrew items you would need to manually install using WOSQI. Then you could launch Preware and make a saved package list, then go into Save/Restore and restore your preware saved package list. Then go back into Preware, tap saved packaged list and then tap install all. It will cover all patches and homebrew apps.

It isn't hard and isn't a big deal.
    Just doctored Friday with newest version of WebDoctor, lost everything as mentioned, use Save/Restore for Palm things. I would rather backup and take the few extra minutes just in case, if you value things on your phone you have added.
    It's a bit late now, but the WebOS Repair Utility is always worth a try if your Pre is still responding, before a visit to the doctor.

It checks all your system files against the ones in your latest version of webOS Doctor, replacing any missing or changed ones. I've found it helps 'spring clean' your Pre.

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...y-v2-01-a.html
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    You will lose all your custom profile links (the links that Synergy misses). If you have quite a few, that'll take some time.

WHAT?? You lost music and pictures? That were on your USB portion? Don't know why that happened. But just to be safe, you can easily back up your usb data to your computer. And the Save/Restore homebrew works great. And also, you should get your memos back. And yeah, the WebOS Repair is a very good option and easier because you won't lose anything.
    what's the current version of doctor ?
    Just doctored Friday with newest version of WebDoctor, lost everything as mentioned, use Save/Restore for Palm things. I would rather backup and take the few extra minutes just in case, if you value things on your phone you have added.
    I would be curious to know what version you believe is the newest...

Not only have I doctored many times and not lost everything as I stated in my post, but anyone interested can go look HERE to read the quote below on the WebOS Internals - How to Recover, article.

Fortunately, Palm has created a tool called webOS Doctor intended for users to easily restore their devices in the event that they cannot boot for one reason or another.

Note: Before Trying the following steps below. Try removing the battery first and reinsert the battery and turn on the device this will determine whether or not you need to perform the following steps.

Note 2: As of WebOS 1.3.1 your USB data (Pictures, Videos, etc.) is no longer deleted during the process. Older versions of WebOS Doctor WILL DELETE ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA ON THE DEVICE.
    The information HERE at the Palm support site is from the release of the Pre and has not been updated to reflect the changes in the later versions of the WebOS Doctor.

HERE is another link that goes back to WebOS version 1.3.5 to confirm what I have said.

There are plenty of places out there for people to find these answers (google found all those links) on their own, yet most are too lazy and want someone to spoon feed it to them. So if you are going to spoon feed somebody information here... please make sure it is accurate!
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    what's the current version of doctor ?
    Look HERE.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for the helpful responses. I don't like to google stuff like this because the responses her are more likely to be accurate and uo to date.

It looks like it shouldn't be too painful...

There is nothing wrong with my phone. I may need to doctor in order to do some testing, which I cannot discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Thanks for the helpful responses. I don't like to google stuff like this because the responses her are more likely to be accurate and uo to date.

It looks like it shouldn't be too painful...

There is nothing wrong with my phone. I may need to doctor in order to do some testing, which I cannot discuss.
    Good Luck! You should be fine. WebOS Internals Save/Restore is a huge help in getting your phone re-patched and homebrewed after the Dr.

I do it everytime a new WebOS update comes out and everything has settled and been updated to work with it.
    I just caught up with this post and want to add a couple of things.

First, Google is not the best answer here. Use the Search button for words, you can find many links if you look, some relevant and often just what you need before starting a new thread/post.

Second, my advise I will stand by. Thanks GAPost, Luckily I do backup everything to my computer (missed a few new pics), so very easy just to plug back in and reload. That is what I was telling the OP, never hurts just to be safe, because the more you have the more you might have lost.

And lastly, don't care what it says about WebDoctor and not losing information. I have doctored before and lost little, this time I lost everything, so the comments from me is what should happen doesn't always happen. A lot of good people try to make it happen that way, but better to back up on phone, on computer, use Save/Restore, but always a plan B, this time it was good I took that extra step.
    Forgot to mention, I do believe 1.4.1.1 is the newest, the one I used. Maybe bad things sometimes happen to phones that aren't supposed to, just like computers. Defies logic or I have something else on there that happened to react the wrong way with the Linux instructions. Don't know, but I'm up and running.