Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I have my Pre set up so that it connects with a WiFi network both at home and at work. But when does the Pre use the WiFi rather than the phone link? I assume that it uses WiFi to download updates and to access the internet - right? I ask because I wonder if there is any benefit in having WiFi switched on all the time like this, as I assume this drains the battery faster. WiFi is free and phone connection is not, of course . . .
  2. #2  
    I personally leave my wifi off off until needed at home or anywhere else. Reason being is battery drain when I turn it on is huge. It has it's own signal so it's the signal is never dropped unless I lose connection, or turn it off. Plus when wifi is on and I leave my Pre on my TS it runs hot. This is my method but alotve people use the sleep option under the wifi prefrences. It does help ease battery life a bit by turning your wifi off while your pre is sleeping and turning it back on once you..um awake it lol
  3. #3  
    Actually, it has shown that the WiFi uses less battery than a data connection.

    EDIT: Just look here http://www.precentral.net/how-improv...ly-accessories
    Last edited by jvvpc; 05/18/2010 at 02:32 AM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jvvpc View Post
    Actually, it has shown that the WiFi uses less battery than a data connection.

    EDIT: Just look here http://www.precentral.net/how-improv...ly-accessories
    I've had my Pre for 11+ months and I leave wifi on all the time. Since I have access in most of the places I spend any extended time, I find that it saves battery for me.

    I also leave bluetooth and GPS on all the time and my battery easily lasts all day. It all depends on your personal situation such as signal strength and use of 3G/EVDO functions.
  5. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #5  
    WiFi def. uses much less battery than Cell data... Since I have Wifi @ home & work.. I just leave it on... Doesn't really effect my battery life much when searching during the travel time...
    But now if you dnt have Wifi everywhere & the Pre is constantly searching.. You'll burn ur batterry...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  6. #6  
    my experience with wifi and the battery is this: if at anytime you have a choice between wifi and 3g, go with wifi, this will be most efficient for you. If you only have 3g access, turn wifi off, your phones battery will be drained as it searches unsuccessfully for a wi-fi connection. If you don't have a strong 3g connection, connect to wifi. you're battery will drain quicker if your phone is trying to find other cell data networks.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkeyHerald View Post
    I have my Pre set up so that it connects with a WiFi network both at home and at work. But when does the Pre use the WiFi rather than the phone link? I assume that it uses WiFi to download updates and to access the internet - right? I ask because I wonder if there is any benefit in having WiFi switched on all the time like this, as I assume this drains the battery faster. WiFi is free and phone connection is not, of course . . .
    I don't think anyone really answered your question. I believe the answer is that if you set up wifi with a known network and if Wifi is on it will always connect if it can find a known network. You will be able to tell by the arch like symbol on the top of the phone and if you tap it it will say the name of the wifi network it is connected to. Wifi is generally free and is great for data as it is almost always going to be faster than the cell data (3G or otherwise) although wifi is actually dependant internet connection speed too. It is completely independant of the cell network and will work when regardless of cell signal.

    Your voice calls will always go over the cell network unless you are able to use something like Skype which is VOIP.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  8. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #8  
    If you like to save battery set it to 2G mode only and use WIFI for the data.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I don't think anyone really answered your question. I believe the answer is that if you set up wifi with a known network and if Wifi is on it will always connect if it can find a known network. You will be able to tell by the arch like symbol on the top of the phone and if you tap it it will say the name of the wifi network it is connected to. Wifi is generally free and is great for data as it is almost always going to be faster than the cell data (3G or otherwise) although wifi is actually dependant internet connection speed too. It is completely independant of the cell network and will work when regardless of cell signal.

    Your voice calls will always go over the cell network unless you are able to use something like Skype which is VOIP.
    Yes, my experience is that your Pre will go to wifi first (if turned on), and only go 3G/EVDO if it doesn't find the wifi signal. This can be a pain sometimes if you are in a situation in which you need to log into your wifi signal. For example, if I am in Starbucks and want to check the weather, I have to either log into Starbucks' wifi, or turn wifi off to use the phone signal.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the answers: very helpful. I have my Pre set up to connect with WiFi both at home and work. It does this automatically, so presumably you could set it to log in automatically to Starbuck's WiFi. However at work I always have to log in afresh each day with username and password, even though I have entered these. I got an explanation from a local IT guy - something about changing IPs.

Posting Permissions