Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Hey guys. I was wondering something. If I purchase another Palm Pre plus from Letstalk, outright for $349, can I add Data Unlimited & AT&T Navigator instead of regular Smartphone data for the Pre?

Will AT&T find out? Would save me $10 a month and give me the nav app I know you used to be able to purchase Treo 680s from Palm.com and add their MediaNet for $15.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    I don't know, but if you get the phone as an upgrade, you will save at least $200, and that's 20 months of the cost for the GPS service. Or you can do what I did and use it to buy a Garmin 765t that has lifetime traffic and will continue to work even if I shut my phone off...
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't know, but if you get the phone as an upgrade, you will save at least $200, and that's 20 months of the cost for the GPS service. Or you can do what I did and use it to buy a Garmin 765t that has lifetime traffic and will continue to work even if I shut my phone off...
    haha problem is I am not eligible for an upgrade on this number till November
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    I think they have stricter rules concerning specific data plans these days, especially after these carriers realized that mandatory smartphone data is the way to go. It may work, but they may demand that you change it or else.

I know when I was on AT&T, I had a BlackBerry plan ($30) and tried to use the iPhone with it. It worked fine, but I'd get a text message and an e-mail within 5-10 hrs telling me to switch to the iPhone plan or to be billed for my usage on the iPhone. Keep in mind, the iPhone plan was the same price ($30) and if I wanted to add both the iPhone+BB plan to my account, there was no way to do it. Considering you're trying to save money by going with a "lesser" data plan, I'm guessing AT&T already knows that and will attempt to upgrade you to the more expensive one.

So... you're up against a very good system that tracks you by IMEI registered with the network (even T-Mobile can tell if you're using an unlocked iPhone).. but I think it shouldn't hurt to try if you're up for it.
    Wow, just checked Letstalk after this post last night and it was $349. Today it's up to $649!
    Hold up for those who want to buy with no contract... Wait until Palm re-release the dev phone pricing.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Why? Isn't it like $500 right now?
    I was talking to an AT&T rep today while purchasing the Pre for my wife (yeah she liked mine and had to have one also). I asked if I could keep the grandfathered MediaMax data plan, and she showed me that the system wouldn't allow it.

The AT&T rep even told me of an example of her cousin sticking her SIM card into a friend's iPhone to try it out for an hour. She later found out that the AT&T system detected her iPhone usage and added the appropriate data plan to her account automatically. Fortunately her cousin worked for AT&T and was able to remove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****hay View Post
    Why? Isn't it like $500 right now?
    http://www.precentral.net/att-pre-pl...ortal-discount

PS: It's funny to see your name getting censored every time someone quotes you.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *****hay View Post
    Wow, just checked Letstalk after this post last night and it was $349. Today it's up to $649!
    I saw that and I nearly cried! Is there a shortage of ATT Pre Plus'?
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Hey guys, I just called my local AT&T Store and they said I can come in and purchase one outright for $399. No access to my account or anything, just to make sure when I pop my SIM card in to go online and change the data plan or it will be done automatically. They have them in stock too!
    Aaron M. Fisher

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Bought mine outright also and am using my iPhone data plan. Of course, I've always used my iPhone data plan for phones other than my iPhone. ATT doesn't seem to care, but of course, this Pre + is a carrier phone and the others have been various phones that were bought sans carrier-mostly Nokias, and ATT has never said anything. I've got 30 days before can't return it so if they give me crap about using Pre + on iPhone plan I'll just hand it back to them-and cry.
    I'm not sure if I understand you. Do you still have the iphone? You can add/remove the plans, change phones. I removed my iphone plan a month after I bought it, you just need to call them and give them the IMEI number of the new phone. The same thing with adding, just give them a call and give them the IMEI. If you are using both phones it shouldn't be a problem. Right now I'm switching between iphone and ATT's Sony w580, and they never changed my plan (I have the iphone plan).