Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hey guys, wanted to get some questions straightened out. I never used a sprint pre so i wouldn't know how bad the build quality so thats mainly the reason why im making this thread. i read about the oreo effect and saw some videos, yes, my pre plus doesnt move at much as the ones i've seen on video but theres still a tiny tiny space that allows it to move back and fourth a tad bit. i figured it was because its a slider. am i right?

the other question is, does anybody suffer from creaks? the creaks aren't coming from the battery cover but from the body of the phone (right below the keyboard, like the chin area and also on the sides, below the volume rocker). again, i figured it was because the phone is mostly plastic.
    Last edited by ipodlover77; 05/17/2010 at 10:40 PM.
    yep, it's gonna creak because it is so thin. If you get the 2600mah extended battery, it wont creek. The gap is so the slider can work.

In terms of oreo, it's like a scab. The more you mess with it, the worse it will get. Let it alone. It's like your old flip phone. It will get somewhat loose over time, but it will stay together and work just fine...
    have a sprint pre for 8 months now and still in perfect condition. Infact,i took off my invisisheild for first time in 8 months and phone looked like it just came out of box. Put some new sheilds on and good to go.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    yep, it's gonna creak because it is so thin. If you get the 2600mah extended battery, it wont creek. The gap is so the slider can work.

In terms of oreo, it's like a scab. The more you mess with it, the worse it will get. Let it alone. It's like your old flip phone. It will get somewhat loose over time, but it will stay together and work just fine...
    thats good to hear
    just curious but what areas does your pre plus creak? im guessing i should live with it instead of stressing on whether or not i should exchange it.
    they all creak, it's the keyboard twisting because it is so thin. Returning it wont help because they all do it some. Especially when you squeeze it hard like I do and pound on it with thumbs. After a few days you won't notice it. One of the downsides of plastic construction. The upside is it wont snap in two when you put it in your pocket, like a Nexus does...

There is soooo much negative whining here about build quality and it causes unnecessary worry. As I said, it's just like the Moto Razr. THe flip mechanism got a but loose, but the phone kept working. Don't "test" the oreo, because it will make it worse. There is a case you can buy that doesn't snap on to the phone (it snaps to itself) that really holds the slider and prevents any oreo.

My advice, just enjoy the phone. I have insurance and if I develop any serious problems, they will send me another one... If you cant stand the slider or the creaking, the Pixi doesn't have those issues.

Enjoy!!
    is every Pre or Pre Plus pretty much guaranteed to get this 'Oreo' effect ?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Def not bro... I played with 3 AT&T Pre's today... All rock solid sliders & keyboards.. (no creaking)...
    Btw the creaking thing that *might happen, there is a 2 sec fix using a piece of tape... A quick search you'll find it....

Palm has really addressed the hardware build issues even before launching the Pluses on Verizon & At&T... So don't worry about it...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    The creaking can be fixed by cutting 2 small pieces of tape, that will fit into the 2 slots of the phone that the tabs of the cover go into.

Insert the tape as far as it goes into the slot so the sticky side is facing the bottom of the phone, then fold the tape down

Pic:
    not possible on a gsm pre, in the place where you put your tape is the sim card
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I gotta say I'm happy with the build quality of my AT&T Pre. I waited what seemed like forever to get some WebOs love
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    The tape thing I was talking about was just 2 1" pieces of electrical tape in the bottom corners of the actual Touchstone back... That's it... Doesn't have anything to do with the Pre or SIM card...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I don't have the oreo effect or any creaking. however my power button was broken out of the box. I have to press super hard for it to work and it still wouldn't work sometimes. I put a piece of eraser under the button now it works perfect. Hope hp can fix the build quality issues.
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
    For those backplate creakers, put a piece of paper between the cover and the phone. Should fix the creak.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by squ33d View Post
    Oops, that piece is misleading! I was referring to the tape right at the bottom of the phone, you can see it goes over the antenna a bit.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Mine is almost perfect after 7 months. Just slight hesitation while sliding out the keyboard, easliy fixed by positioning the thumb at the right hand side of the screen when pushing to open. Its due to the design of the slider mechanism and it beeing weaker on one side.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    blu-tack strategically placed in certain tabs where the door lines up with the phone have eliminated all keyboard creak for me.

body creak i don't mind. its just when i'm typing that i hates it.
    Get the new case that the pre slides into and you will never have to worry about build quality. Its awsome.
    Can someone please tell me what the "oreo effect" actually is? I have noticed the back on my Pre Plus is a little loose and the slider is also loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by gijello View Post
    Can someone please tell me what the "oreo effect" actually is? I have noticed the back on my Pre Plus is a little loose and the slider is also loose.
    You know how kids twist the two halves of an Oreo to get them apart?

Referencing back to the original issue. I too think the hardware quality is mediocre. Although I think highly of the webOS software, the hardware quality is really hurting sales. Software sells to technologically inclined, like folks on this forum. The vast majority of customers are not, and first impression counts a whole lot. You go into an Apple store, and you see these iPhones, iPods, and iPads gleaming like aluminum sculptures. They feel solid in your hand. Then you go and pick up a Palm Pre. The unit FEELS FLIMSY! IT CREAKS! THE TWO HALVES HAVE TOO MUCH WIGGLE. The hardware does not do the system justice. I almost walked away from a Pre for that reason.

I've come to one conclusion about Palm. The company DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO MARKET. Period. From the creepy woman ads that set the stage wrong, to the flimsy creaky hardware, to the overpriced touchstones that few casual users want to afford. It's all about the experience, stupid. Let the masses have the touchstones, and they will get the whole experience.
    Last edited by luau joe; 05/26/2010 at 12:05 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast