1.    #1  
    I saw the Palm Mobile Hotspot app in the catalog and preceded to attempt to download. The app downloaded fine, but it kept showing an install failed error. A little while later, my phone suffered a random restart. After restarting, a box popped up near the bottom of the screen saying I was signed out of my Palm Profile and had a button saying to restart the phone. When the phone was finished restarting, the phone appeared to be in the final stage of the activation screen. It said my phone was setup and some other stuff I don't recall. After yet another restart, my phone appeared normal on the home screen (theme still installed etc). However, all my apps, Preware, and all the apps I purchased from the catalog have vanished. In addition, I can not launch the messaging app (nothing happens). This is on a Spring Pre.

Any help would be great appreciated! Would doctoring the phone bring my phone back? I have all of the media (pics, videos etc) backed up so I'm not concerned about that. I'm just concerned I lost all the apps I purchased in the app catalog.

Thanks!
    Any apps you purchased from the app catalog can always be downloaded again onto your phone w/o any charge. This is a standard feature.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    are you on Sprint or VZ?

Doctoring should be the LAST thing you do when nothing else works. You need to provide more info for anyone to be able to help you.

There are a bunch of people popping up because MHS is showing up on Sprint catalogs. I'm pretty sure that's a problem at Palm, because the MHS app is a verizon-only application.

Everyone else should be trying to use MyTether. Are you on Sprint?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    are you on Sprint or VZ?

Doctoring should be the LAST thing you do when nothing else works. You need to provide more info for anyone to be able to help you.

There are a bunch of people popping up because MHS is showing up on Sprint catalogs. I'm pretty sure that's a problem at Palm, because the MHS app is a verizon-only application.

Everyone else should be trying to use MyTether. Are you on Sprint?
    Yep I'm on Sprint with the Pre. I'm on a Live Chat with Palm now. What more information would you like?
    Quote Originally Posted by twister17e View Post
    Yep I'm on Sprint with the Pre. I'm on a Live Chat with Palm now. What more information would you like?
    Smart move, unless I miss my guess they will recommend a partial reset and letting the palm recover apps and stuff stored via the backup that came with your phone. You will lose a few settings and some data stored in your apps but its a lot better than having to doctor your phone unless you have stuff backed up already, (which it doesn't sound like you have). I've only had to do that once and was glad I had backed up all of my MP3's and some other files to my notebook...

Good luck!

BTW, when you get done and get Preware reinstalled via WebOS QI, I would recommend searching through the WebOS stuff about backup patches/apps to protect your data not backed up by palm.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    Smart move, unless I miss my guess they will recommend a partial reset and letting the palm recover apps and stuff stored via the backup that came with your phone. You will lose a few settings and some data stored in your apps but its a lot better than having to doctor your phone unless you have stuff backed up already, (which it doesn't sound like you have). I've only had to do that once and was glad I had backed up all of my MP3's and some other files to my notebook...

Good luck!

BTW, when you get done and get Preware reinstalled via WebOS QI, I would recommend searching through the WebOS stuff about backup patches/apps to protect your data not backed up by palm.
    Thanks for the reply. I did have everything backed up except for my text messages. Don't really care about those though, as I text a lot and clear them out about every month anyways. Palm did recommend a partial erase. My main concern was making sure my palm profile wasn't corrupted or anything. I didn't want to lose the apps I paid for in the App Catalog. I probably should have gone straight to Live Chat but figured I would post a thread to see if anybody else has had this issue before.
    Quote Originally Posted by twister17e View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I did have everything backed up except for my text messages. Don't really care about those though, as I text a lot and clear them out about every month anyways. Palm did recommend a partial erase. My main concern was making sure my palm profile wasn't corrupted or anything. I didn't want to lose the apps I paid for in the App Catalog. I probably should have gone straight to Live Chat but figured I would post a thread to see if anybody else has had this issue before.
    Just curious, where is this live chat you speak of? I am guessing it is somewhere on Palm's website. Is it free?
    OP the same thing happened to me. i had to restart my phone a few times, then log into my profile again. everything is fine now.
    Be careful when going to Palm chat, before I realized that the app catalog was broken this weekend, I tried to "fix" the problem myself. When I was unsuccessful, I went to Palm chat and did the partial erase (told me the app catalog was not having problems) and I lost all my third party apps for the day. I asked specifically if this was a Palm problem and the tech said NO.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Just curious, where is this live chat you speak of? I am guessing it is somewhere on Palm's website. Is it free?
    Here's the link for the Sprint Pre. Yep, it's completely free!

When you go to Palm's website:
    • Click on support (top of screen)
    • Phones
    • Select your phone
    • Select your carrier
    • Click on support services
    • Scroll down to where it says, Palm Chat and has a link to chat now
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoove09 View Post
    Be careful when going to Palm chat, before I realized that the app catalog was broken this weekend, I tried to "fix" the problem myself. When I was unsuccessful, I went to Palm chat and did the partial erase (told me the app catalog was not having problems) and I lost all my third party apps for the day. I asked specifically if this was a Palm problem and the tech said NO.
    Granted - tech support depends upon the individual you happen to be interfacing with - and there are good and bad no matter where you go or what the subject is. Its a crap-shoot.

Just the same, I maintain that a partial reset and letting the phone/palm do what it is set up to do is a lot smarter than unnecessarily doctoring your phone back to its "out of the box" state.

It is unfortunate that most folks assume the palm-provided app backs up "everything" then find out the service isn't designed to do that. It can be an unpleasant surprise to find all of your MP3s (for example) that you downloaded and didn't back up via USB or other means are gone.

OBTW, there is an app that backs up the palms DB3 database, which contains all of your messages/emails, (look in the WebOS section of the forums for Pre Backup) - everything goes into a nice zip that you can then transfer to your notebook via USB. The author is working on a way to send it as an attachment via gMail which would be *very* nice for those of us who "forget". Used in conjunction with another backup app or routine for apps/patches one can feel a lot more "protected".

Bet before summer is over someone comes out with a single App that "does it all".....
  12.    #12  
    After Vincent from Palm looked at my profile nothing was corrupt and all my paid apps are back ! Now I just have to restore my backup. Thanks for everybody's help!
    The mobile hotspot application may briefly show in the app catalog for Sprint and other non-supported carriers, however if you're carrier does not support that application the application will not install to the device.

This issue is being worked on on our end.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    yeah I tried downloading and it caused my phone to signoff of my palm profile. Once I restarted it asked me to erase apps or restart.. I restarted and it forced me to sign in and start over.... Im pretty annoyed but its whatever.