1.    #1  
    My phone was stolen and I wanted to do a remote erase through palm. Everytime I do it and click ok it immediantly say Failed to Erase Device. I called palm and they said everything was good on there end. Sprint said the samething. Palm did tell me though that the phone has to be powered on to do it. I read the fine print on palm site about the erase and it say that its a sms message sent to the phone. So even if the phone was off should it be waiting for the phone to turn on before tell me it failed?

Can someone with expreance in this explain to me how this work. I need my phone erased for my family's saftey SO plz HELP!!!!!!
    Last edited by balla2g2; 05/17/2010 at 03:31 PM.
    Im sorry to hear that your phone got stolen =/

As to some help, here is the palm kb atricle on how to perform a remote erase.
    kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/pre/p100eww/sprint/solutions/article/44616_en.html
    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - How to remotely erase your phone

Im sure you have probably read that all the way through but if not I hope it helps, it does say that if you are having trouble it might be that you need to verify your palm profile email.

Here is the kb article for that.

kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/pre/p100eww/sprint/solutions/article/44538_en.html
    Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Cannot remotely reset phone

Sorry about the url format, first post lol
    Hope some of that helps.
  3.    #3  
    My email is verified and I know how to do the erase on the computer its just when I click the last ok box i get the message "failed to delete device." Does that mean the phone has been powered down?
    sorry to hear about the theft... look out for "i got my phone on craigsslist/ebay and wanna erase everything" threads.. The thief might be dumb enough to come here..
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, and if Palm and Sprint say that everything went through on your end it might be ok. I'm sure once the device is turned on, it will be booted out of the Palm Profile and your personal information should get wiped.

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Trouble performing a remote erase

The remote-erase process is working, but it does not appear so. When you perform a remote erase from palm.com/palmprofile , the following occurs:
    The Palm server sends an SMS message containing the erase command to the phone.
    The server confirms that a remote erase command was sent, but it doesn’t know if the phone received the command.
    If the phone is not connected to the network, the SMS message is not received. If the SMS message is received, and the phone is disconnected from the network immediately after it is received, the Palm server waits for the phone to come back on the network to complete verification.
    For the next 24 hours, the server tries to send the remote erase command.
    NOTE If the phone is offline for 24 hours after the command was first sent, the server does not send the command again after that 24-hour period elapses.

After the remote erase process begins; it may take up to several hours to complete, depending on the amount of data associated with your Palm profile.
    Hope everything works out balla, let us know how things play out!
  7.    #7  
    Well day 2 of my stolen phone. I checked sprint and still no usage and by now the is mostl likly dead. Still get the failed to erase device message on the palm profile site. Do you think its time to give it up and go and head and cut service and get a new phone ordered? Or should I wait a little longer to erase the phone. The girl who took it was charged with burgary and maybe be she trashed it. She told my wife through a mutual friend she doesnt have it. What do yall think. btw with a police case number will i be able to get a free phone from assurant (how ever you spell it) or will i still have to pay 100 dollars?
    I imagine you will have to pay the $100 to get a new phone since that is the deductible. Its the same as if you had your car stolen and trashed. Your insurance would get you a new car - less your deductible.

As far as your phone settings... Did you happen to use an Exchange account for any of your email accounts (you could remote wipe with that if you did). If you haven't done so... be sure you go on-line and change all of your email passwords and site passwords you had on your device. You don't want anyone to be able to open up the email app and have access to your accounts from the phone in case it didn't remote wipe. There's really no way to tell you how long to wait before deactivating that phone and moving on... it's a tough one to call and I certainly feel for ya (I had the same thing happen with my last Treo680).
  9.    #9  
    I think imma suck it up and count my loses on this one. Tired of having no phone now... Its time to get a new pre and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles, and if Palm and Sprint say that everything went through on your end it might be ok. I'm sure once the device is turned on, it will be booted out of the Palm Profile and your personal information should get wiped.

The remote-erase process is working, but it does not appear so. When you perform a remote erase from palm.com/palmprofile , the following occurs:
    The Palm server sends an SMS message containing the erase command to the phone.
    The server confirms that a remote erase command was sent, but it doesn’t know if the phone received the command.
    If the phone is not connected to the network, the SMS message is not received. If the SMS message is received, and the phone is disconnected from the network immediately after it is received, the Palm server waits for the phone to come back on the network to complete verification.
    For the next 24 hours, the server tries to send the remote erase command.
    NOTE If the phone is offline for 24 hours after the command was first sent, the server does not send the command again after that 24-hour period elapses.

After the remote erase process begins; it may take up to several hours to complete, depending on the amount of data associated with your Palm profile.
    I am stuck and believe I may be gettng wrong info from palm chat line.

i reported m ypre stolen last saturday, 7 days ago. without thnking about "remote erase", i went to verizon and cancelled the srvice. i was out of town, and move dthe srve to my good ol' 755 which i still carried just in case i ever needed a backup on the spot.

AFTER moving the service to another device, i started the "remote erase" and "stolen phone" process at palm site. Well, you already know that the remote erase cant happen now because there is NO carrier signal. Also, the phone battery had died the night before so i know there was no power to the phone at all.

So, lo and behold, turns out my phone wasnt stolen..ubt had been misplaced (long story for another time) and i found it a week later, that is, today. Of course..the power still off.

BUT...in my happiness, i was just about to charge it and power it on and get back on the srvice when i realized...WAIT...the original "remote erase" process was inititiated (as confirmed on the palm screen last saturday)...but it coild not have been done or completed because the phone HAD NO SERVICE. and no battery power....so the "remote erase" signal may not have ever got to the phone..it had no battery power and no service

I thought "cripes..my pictures, documents, pdfs are probabl ySTILL on my device...DONT turn it on now, as the remote erase might kick in once i get the signal on it again.

So..the phone is in my hand..and i started a chat session with palm

They are saying "cant abort a remote erase once it is initiated". They said once i turn the phone on again, even with my own profile...the remote erase will start and there is no way it can be stopped". OUCH!!

i said "how can it initiate even if there is no service and no power? it may have tried to initiate..but there is no way that any signal could have gotten to the phone. ...so the remote erase signal must still be on the rnway, waiting to take off to my phone when put service on it.

So..pam says "no way it can be stopped." even if its a week later..or more..when someonne else puts a carrier signal o nthat phone, the remote erase will go to the serial #..and start the erase process.
    I pleased ...no way..there HAS to be a way to see if the signal got there...OR to abort the process altogether.

Question: is this true that there is no way it can be stopped even if there os a very good chanc ethat the original signal never even got to the device ?

Also...the reason i ask is that the palm chat reply seemd to be the opposite of what was posted about: the above said that the server will not try the signal again after 24 hours. So..for me...im a week later here...and i MAY be able to retrueve my stuff on the device..BUT, i dont want to take the chance of turning it on now after i just had htis palm chat with them.

To re-iterate: i went to palm site to do the remote erase AFTER I had moved the carrier service to another phone. the device had no battery power left so i doubt anything occureed...BUT..the signal may be waiting to kick in when i turn it on now?..i dont know.

I told palm chat that my best bet seems to be to put the device away until palm can patch and allow for a command to "abort the erase". Seems simple enough.

Any thoughts are welcome..but for now..back to my treo. I had hundreds of pics on the device...kids..vacation..priceless. yes i should lhave backed it up..but thats my bad there.

thanks.
    Hmmm...another option would be to wrap the phone in foil with the USB cord plugged into the side (but not the computer). This will keep the device's radio from receiving a signal. Tear a small opening on the foil in the middle of the screen just so you can see if the screen is on and so you can get your finger in to tap the bottom of the screen. Plug the phone into the USB of your computer and power the device on. When it is powered up, put it into USB mode with the foil still in place and pull your files off of the device.

NOTE: You don't have to have the foil wrapped tight around the device... you can create a large "bubble" of foil which will allow for your hand to enter. But you just want to make sure there is enough of an enclosure to create a Faraday cage to block radio signal from all sides.

May seem an odd-ball solution, but as long as you can keep your device from receiving a signal, you are good to go. If you do not have wi-fi, you should also be able to simply put it into Airplane Mode from within the foil and then you can work freely with the device. Airplane Mode turns off the phone's radio, and since there is no wi-fi signal it will not receive any data. Once you get your files off, you can let it get a data signal and wipe the phone.

Hope that offers another possibility for you
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hmmm...another option would be to wrap the phone in foil with the USB cord plugged into the side (but not the computer). This will keep the device's radio from receiving a signal. Tear a small opening on the foil in the middle of the screen just so you can see if the screen is on and so you can get your finger in to tap the bottom of the screen. Plug the phone into the USB of your computer and power the device on. When it is powered up, put it into USB mode with the foil still in place and pull your files off of the device.

NOTE: You don't have to have the foil wrapped tight around the device... you can create a large "bubble" of foil which will allow for your hand to enter. But you just want to make sure there is enough of an enclosure to create a Faraday cage to block radio signal from all sides.

May seem an odd-ball solution, but as long as you can keep your device from receiving a signal, you are good to go. If you do not have wi-fi, you should also be able to simply put it into Airplane Mode from within the foil and then you can work freely with the device. Airplane Mode turns off the phone's radio, and since there is no wi-fi signal it will not receive any data. Once you get your files off, you can let it get a data signal and wipe the phone.

thank you. is that in theory or have you had practical experience with that method? Seems to make good sense.

also, to the reply before that which says "cancel" account:
    I'm presuming you mean "Cancel the palm account" as a way to prevent the remote erase from happening ? That part is too late, as i initiated the erase last saturday. I'm not sure on the technical aspects of what effect "cancel the palm accuont" would have, as palm chat said that the remote erase is tied to the serial # of the phone itself.

General question:
    what is the actual step by step technical process of the remote erase.
    I know step 1 is to click on "device info" and asnwer the question about lost or stolen phone. I cliked that as a stolen phone.

then, what specifically happens when after I conform "stolen/lost" phne and then confrim that i want the remote erase to proceed. ?

I know that the palm profile screen then says "remote erase initiatied" or similar. From what I gather so far, the server sends an SMS (text message or other ) to the phone device?

What happens next on the phone itself ?
    Also, what wold a palm owner see on the palm profile screen on a cmputer ? I ask this because i got the message "remote erase initiated", and when
    I went back to the computer screen about 8 hours later, i was prevented from clicking on "device info" so i presume that the "remote erase" process was stil ltrying to get to the phone. Last night, when i went to my palm profile, I was pleasantly surprised to see that i was able to click the "device info" button and , again, i saw the same original questin from LAST saturday :"lost phone ?".

I am presuming--maybe in error--that the active "device info" button perhaps means that A) the remote erase signal never go to the phone and B) that the remote erase MAYBE did a self-cancel because the phone had no power at all (and no signal) the entire time from the original "remote erase" comman of last saturday..8 days prior.

It seems that MAYBE , with the power of, that my pre+ was successfully "hidden" from the remote erase signal for not just 24 hours..but for a full week. ?

Anyway, i like the idea of the USB attachment and the tin foil, as primitive as that sounds...OR, i COULD maybe take another active verizon phone AND my laptop...and take the pre+ and a live phone to someplace where there is no verizon signal or int othe bowels of a building or something.. the "live" phone could confirm that there is no wireless service..then i coujld do the USB trick, and get my files off of it. That wuold be job 1...but i think im following the logic of it.

easier though: how does the aluminum foil actually prevent a signal ? are ther other ways to do same ?

thank you SO much. (Meanwhile, honestly, ive been enjoying thumbtyping, ultra-extended battery, and the D-pad of my old 755p. 4 days now, with broadband connected, live email, and STILL have 30% of battery left. Incredble powerhouse with the ultra battery))

thanks..

Then, the phone powers itself on t

Another thought:

1) cant i just power it up?
    2) since there is no carrier signal going to phone the remote erase may not 3have hit it yet.
    3) if no signal hitting the phone at all..ni wifi. no carrier..no data etc etc. shouldnt i be able to get to the usb connection and transfer m ystuff no problem?
    4) after transferrring from usb to pc, i can then put on carrier serivce. the wipe might happen..but all of my stuff would be saved anyway via both the palm profile backup and the usb transfer.

i jus tneed some re-assurance tha tthe darn phone wont go into "erase" mode when i power it up. If it powrers up okay..can i simply retirve stuff via usb..or do i still have to acitvate profile again etc//?...and then that of course would require the data connection..and...back to where i started ?

and then access via usb
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedmy755 View Post
    Another thought:

1) cant i just power it up?
    2) since there is no carrier signal going to phone the remote erase may not 3have hit it yet.
    3) if no signal hitting the phone at all..ni wifi. no carrier..no data etc etc. shouldnt i be able to get to the usb connection and transfer m ystuff no problem?
    4) after transferrring from usb to pc, i can then put on carrier serivce. the wipe might happen..but all of my stuff would be saved anyway via both the palm profile backup and the usb transfer.

i jus tneed some re-assurance tha tthe darn phone wont go into "erase" mode when i power it up. If it powrers up okay..can i simply retirve stuff via usb..or do i still have to acitvate profile again etc//?...and then that of course would require the data connection..and...back to where i started ?

and then access via usb
    As soon as you power the phone up it will look for a radio signal during the boot process. If it does receive the command during this process, it will wipe your phone.
    As soon as you power the phone up it will look for a radio signal during the boot process. If it does receive the command during this process, it will wipe your phone.
    Thanks. This reply brings me back up to one of the original postings that says that the signal goes out, but then the signal stops if it doesnt find device within 24 hours.

So, an sms message goes to the device, then the server sends command for remote wipe. But, it seems from earlier posting above that if the signal doesn't "attach" or find the device within 24 hours then the server stops sending the signal. Did i read that correctly, or am i misunderstanding it?

If i go to palm profile now, as i type, the preofile does show the "device info" button in "active" mode, so if i click "device info" it will proceed to ask "lost or stolen phone?" as if i am initiatinig the wipe process. However,. this is now 9 days after the original attempt at the remote wipe...so , juding from the "active" status of the "device info" button, it looks like the original "remote wipe" signal may not have been received at all, THEN, it MAY hav ebeen cancelled after 2r hours (as per a previous posting ), and MAY have "reset" the entire process back to a sort of "non event" or in a position to resend the the "remote wipe" signal.

That's how it LOOKS...unless that "remote wipe" command stays out in the cyberworld floating aruond indefinitely until the device is activated on a carrier and then the original signal attaches... OR...what is it that the server stops doing after 24 hours? does it cancel the wipe.? report it as "wipe failed?" or what is the 24 hour window referring to. ?

thanks.
    good news.

the remote erase signal never got to my phone in the first place. i plugged in usb cable. clicked device to say "use as usb only", and quickly copies my files (documents, pics, vids, etc) over to my laptop.

the device had so signal , no carrier, no phone so no data service BUT when i looked on the notificatoins areas i noticed "thats odd, that is an email from today".. well the wifi signal WAS active and was receiving my emails when i attached the usb cable which was providing power (the battery i knew to be empty).

so, all my contacts and everythign else was just the same as it i never misplaced the phone in the first place.

the remote erase action never occurred. I'm not going to try to explain or theorize on it..but palm chat techies did insist that as soon as the device powers on and has a signal, the remote wipe will start.

so..i didnt have carrier service BUT the wifi was active..and still there was no wipe occurring. So,,that could be a good thing or a bad thing. for me, it was a good thing.

last thing now is to see what will happen when i put the carrier service (phone and data) back on the device. maybe the wipe happens then but i doubt it: if the wipe was going to work, it shold have started when the wifi signal wsa going to the phone...as the "wipe" command is tied to the serial # of phone.

so...palm you out there?...explain this ? seems the remote wipe was cancelled when the original signal did not find my device with 24 hours. so, for me, that turned out to be a good thing. BUt for anyone else, well, it there is an active wifi signal, whoeever steals your phone may have the smarts to...well, turn it off...wait more than 24 hours...maybe wait 2-3 days..THEN power it up. at that point, (just as i am experiencing now) it seems that any person that has the device in possession not only has access to all your hard drive data files...but, ALSO...your emails continue to sync...so THAT might be something for palm to look into.

thanks for the earlier feedback...greatly appreciated.

my only issue now is: stay with my 2007 trusty treo 755 with ultra 3200 battery and awesome keyboard with AGENDUS pro for supreme contact managment and datebook/notes, and just use the pre plus as a usb drive, camera and local wifi device. ..OR go back to the pre plus as my sole device, and deal with the contact management shortcomings, yukky keyboard, BUT the hotspot is a major major plus.. Tough call here as i honestlry dont need everythign that the pre+ can do, but thats a discussion for another thread. texting and emails with my treo 755 are actually a joy to do, prompt , simple, tactile, efficient.

thankfully, my hundreds of pics were not erased. very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedmy755 View Post
    the remote erase action never occurred. I'm not going to try to explain or theorize on it..but palm chat techies did insist that as soon as the device powers on and has a signal, the remote wipe will start.

so..i didnt have carrier service BUT the wifi was active..and still there was no wipe occurring. So,,that could be a good thing or a bad thing. for me, it was a good thing.

last thing now is to see what will happen when i put the carrier service (phone and data) back on the device. maybe the wipe happens then but i doubt it: if the wipe was going to work, it shold have started when the wifi signal wsa going to the phone...as the "wipe" command is tied to the serial # of phone.
    Text messages don't come via WiFi; they come from the phone signal.

Palm likely told you it would erase it in case you were a phone thief trying to figure out how to steal somebody's account/info. That is a good thing!