1.    #1  
    Hi all. I am definitely not a techie by any means, but ventured into the brave new world of installing a few patches to my VZW Pre Plus. The patches weren't anything earth shaking, just some adjustments to what I want to see on the top bar and upper right drop down menu. I also read somewhere that you should remove all patches before a systems update.

My question is, what happens if you forget to remove the patches? Will I brick the unit? I am so new to the Palm Pre that I don't remember if the unit simply auto-updates, or if it will ask me for permission to update.

Thanks in advance!
    patches are safe. just remove any themes you have installed
    What he said; patches are safe to install updates over, and have been for a while (it's not always been this way).

But please, for all that is good and holy, please stop referring to webOS as PalmOS. I see this in the App Catalog every day and it bugs me to no end. It just shows what a terrible job Palm have done in their marketing if their own userbase hasn't recognized the fact that they're using an entirely different operating system.

PalmOS is dead, and has been sold off to an Asian company IIRC that is now selling it under the name "Garnet". Palms new devices are running a completely different operating system that is NOT a skin or anything but another OS that has been built from the ground up with no roots in PalmOS what-so-ever. Your Pre Plus is running webOS. Calling it PalmOS is like me asking you whether you got your newest MS-DOS Service Pack already.
    maybe he meant palm's (as in the company's) os....and not palm os...just giving benefit of the doubt
  5.    #5  
    shows how ignorant I am. Thanks for the correction, and the info!
    What about the wifi hotspot on Sprint (mytether etc)?? Does that need to be removed like the themes or is that considered a patch and is safe in preware? Sorry if it's a dumb question, just need to know.

Thanks

By the way, I know that preware doesn't have the wifi hotspot, it was separate.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    What about the wifi hotspot on Sprint (mytether etc)?? Does that need to be removed like the themes or is that considered a patch and is safe in preware? Sorry if it's a dumb question, just need to know.

Thanks

By the way, I know that preware doesn't have the wifi hotspot, it was separate.
    HotSpot and MyTether are not patches, they are full applications that use the OS framework. MyTether might not work after an update due to application incompatibilities. You should refer to the forums at mytether.net to verify it works with the latest update before updating if you require tethering on a daily basis.