1.    #1  
    I'm looking to buy a Pre Plus off eBay for use as a replacement iPod touch. (Web browsing, email, light gaming).

I want to know, should I just get a Verizon Pre Plus or wait a while and get a AT&T Pre Plus? Are the keyboard upgrades worth the wait*, and most likely, price bump**? I don't live in the USA, so if I got the AT&T one, I could have the added benefit of using it as my phone, but that's not a big factor for me.

*I have to wait before AT&T Pre Pluses start appearing on eBay cheaply like the Verizon ones are

**It would take a long time before the prices start to float down to the Verizon Pre level, so it would probably be more expensive.
    If you want GPS at all, then you need the AT&T version. Verizon has crippled GPS in their Pre Plus devices.
    ATT,

the biggest advantage of VZ Pre+ is free mobile hotspot, which you will not use. so ATT pre+, GSM, is a better option, IMHO.

PS. can you actually activate it without a phone service?
    VZW = free mobile hot spot
    Go with verizon. You will always get a good signal even if your in New York or San Fran. LoL.

Plus with Verizon you can do early up grades every year for only $20 more on top of the 2 year pricing. Or if you can hold out for 2 years then you get $50 off the 2 year new contract price for being a pre-exsiting customer. Also for better customer service I would go with Verizon.

I was a Sprint And ATT customer before. I left sprint after my phone would get shut off 4 time a month, and having a yelling match with the customer service rep. I left ATT for not replacing my phone even when I had insurance on it.

There is a reason why Verizon is number one.
    Quote Originally Posted by philbert81 View Post
    Go with verizon. You will always get a good signal even if your in New York or San Fran. LoL.

Plus with Verizon you can do early up grades every year for only $20 more on top of the 2 year pricing. Or if you can hold out for 2 years then you get $50 off the 2 year new contract price for being a pre-exsiting customer. Also for better customer service I would go with Verizon.

I was a Sprint And ATT customer before. I left sprint after my phone would get shut off 4 time a month, and having a yelling match with the customer service rep. I left ATT for not replacing my phone even when I had insurance on it.

There is a reason why Verizon is number one.
    I don't think you carefuly read his post
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    If you want GPS at all, then you need the AT&T version. Verizon has crippled GPS in their Pre Plus devices.
    Is he buying a phone or a GPS? If he is buying a GPS, I suggest Garmin or TomTom would be better.

In terms of phones, I am biased to Verizon because I have had so many issues with AT&T over the years. I still have an AT&T blackberry for work, and I definitely see why VZ has been so successful with the "Map for That" ads.

VZ definitley has given me the best coverage and customer service since I switched my personal phone to them about 6 years ago.

I also read today that iPhone traffic is 60% of what is on the AT&T mobile network. That explains a lot of the AT&T performance issues because of the heavy tendency toward iPhones to bury their network with video and bandwidth hogging stuff. I've always suspected that VZ hasn't really wanted the iphone because they didn't want it to kill their network. Now that Android is outselling iPhone, that may prove to be the smart play...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Is he buying a phone or a GPS? If he is buying a GPS, I suggest Garmin or TomTom would be better.

In terms of phones, I am biased to Verizon because I have had so many issues with AT&T over the years. I still have an AT&T blackberry for work, and I definitely see why VZ has been so successful with the "Map for That" ads.

VZ definitley has given me the best coverage and customer service since I switched my personal phone to them about 6 years ago.

I also read today that iPhone traffic is 60% of what is on the AT&T mobile network. That explains a lot of the AT&T performance issues because of the heavy tendency toward iPhones to bury their network with video and bandwidth hogging stuff. I've always suspected that VZ hasn't really wanted the iphone because they didn't want it to kill their network. Now that Android is outselling iPhone, that may prove to be the smart play...
    and if he wants to keep memos he should carry a note pad. and if he wants to use the web he should get a laptop. if he wants to listen to music he should get a radio.

the gps is part of the device, how is it not relevant?
    Go with AT&T. Same phone as Verizon, but it's viable internationally. Verizon's service area is better and you'll have better connections, but you'll be stuck in the USA.
    I thought These need to be activated to even use... Can you use these without a service plan?
  11.    #11  
    I will clarify this:
    I will not be on Verizon's or AT&T's network. Verizon might as well have the best coverage, but I'm not going to join their network.
    In Europe, where I am, AT&T and Verizon don't exist. The most well known carrier in my area is Vodaphone.
    One question: if I were to get the AT&T Pre Plus and brought it into Europe, and then put my sim card in, would the GPS work? Does it use data? I use a prepaid plan, so data is EXTREMELY expensive.
    well, Verizon includes free mobile hotspot app but AT&T comes with free Touchstone charger, haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    I thought These need to be activated to even use... Can you use these without a service plan?
    I believe so, as long as you can get pass the palm profile screen it should work fine. My service was disconnected for almost a month, I stoll had access to all web content, and other data via wifi connection
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philbert81 View Post
    Plus with Verizon you can do early up grades every year for only $20 more on top of the 2 year pricing.
    As a note, Verizon has done away with the $20 early upgrade fee. As long as you are a "My Verizon" customer you can upgrade every year at contract price.
    You will lose out on the new-every-two-cash-towards-your-new-phone however.
    you should grab the gsm version, that way you also get a back uphone.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    There is a developer tool somewhere on this forum that let's you skip activation (and therefore it doesn't have any voice functions) so it will work like an iPod Touch. That way a developer can work with one or more handsets without having to buy service for each of them. It's in the Homebrew section somewhere.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    Since you don't live in the US I would say you should just go for the AT&T version just so you have the GSM capability if you need it.
    Have you looked at the German Pre Plus? only two keys different, and it will work with European 3G bands, should you wish to use it as a phone.
    I would get the AT&T because it is supposed to have a better keboarf than the VZW Pre Plus.