Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    This simply is not true. Ethanol is combustible, even in old engines that don't support flex fuel, as long as it is in a small amount, like 10-15%.

Ethanol is basically Moonshine... its the same alcohol that is in your vodka.

If you've ever tried to ignite vodka its burns pretty well: AKA a Molotov Cocktail.

In Brazil, their cars run on 85-100% Ethanol.

It would be pretty magical if it was filler and their cars ran on it.
    Well, yes, in an engine that is designed to run on ethanol at that concentration, it would work. But try running a regular gasoline engine on 85% ethanol. Sure, ethanol is combustible, but if it was that easy to dump some ethanol in our regular gasoline engines, then oil companies would be out of business. Our cars run on gasoline. Adding 10% ethanol is simply filler.
    My Pre on a daily basis makes people regret getting any other phone thanks to:

Being able to search for car parts online, while converting numbers, searching for the nearest/cheapest parts store, all the while under a car describing the part using the led as a flash light. Or just snapping a pic and emailing it.

Everyone of my friends just asks me to whip out the wonder phone since their's can't do anything. All smart phone users btw

I sure as hell put alot of blackberry users to shame...
    at least they got BBM lol
    This didn't happen today but on Sunday. My girlfriend is currently looking to get another cat. Well I was in the pet store getting food for my cat when she called me. While talking to her I opened up the camera and took a couple pics of the two cats they had there. I then sent them to her via sms(thank you next door coffeeshop wireless network) and was able to keep talking to her answering her questions.
    When she said she had trouble making out the pics on her phone, I was able to open up my email and send it to her that way.
    ***OFF TOPIC***

Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Well, yes, in an engine that is designed to run on ethanol at that concentration, it would work. But try running a regular gasoline engine on 85% ethanol. Sure, ethanol is combustible, but if it was that easy to dump some ethanol in our regular gasoline engines, then oil companies would be out of business. Our cars run on gasoline. Adding 10% ethanol is simply filler.
    Again you have been misinformed I am afraid.

For Example: a diesel engine can run on 100% Vegetable Oil without any modifications whatsoever.

Why doesn't someone sell then 100% Ethanol Diesel fuel and supply every Transport truck in the USA with a cheaper alternative?

Because at the time being Ethanol costs way more than Methanol (regular gas from crude oil) to produce at the moment, and there isnt enough supply of it for current demands.

Thus ethanol won't put the oil companies out of business, because economically it is more expensive of a business proposal.

"E10, sometimes called gasohol, is a fuel mixture of 10% anhydrous ethanol and 90% gasoline that can be used in the internal combustion engines of most modern automobiles and light-duty vehicles without need for any modification on the engine or fuel system. E10 blends are typically rated as 2 to 3 octane higher than regular gasoline and are approved for use in all new US automobiles, and are mandated in some areas for emissions and other reasons."

Unless your car was built before 1989, then it is able to use the E10 ethanol gasoline mixture that you can get in the US.

Again I will repeat: YOUR CAR WAS MADE TO USE 10% ETHANOL.

Not only that, but typically NON-ethanol gas is now more expensive due to its rarity, and ethanol E10 gasoline has a higher octane than regular gasoline.

Also a little known fact is that most cars made after the year 2000 in the USA can run just fine on E85% Ethanol fuel.

"The American Coalition for Ethanol ran a 2000 Chevy Tahoe, not a flex-fuel vehicle, exclusively on E85 for 100,000 miles. Then they stripped down the engine and took a look. Everything looked fine. Fuel lines, fuel pumps, etc. In fact, they say a few things looked better than normal. The video includes a look at the parts of the engine from that Tahoe."

So IMO its not worth your time to go out of your way to find Non-ethanol gasoline. Unless you are driving a really really old car.

Source: My Father is a Chemical Engineer at Suncor Refineries.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12