1.    #1  
    For the first time yesterday, I put some videos from my phone onto my computer and they loaded as QuickTime, which I don't even use on my computer. Given their competition with Apple, it seems odd that Palm would choose this video format.
    Most phones will record videos in the quick time format. It's just the standard format that is used.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    The aren't in Quicktime format - they are in Mpeg4 format, and Quicktime is the app on your pc that is capable of playing them. If you're running XP, there is nothing built-in that will play them. VLC is a good media player that can play mpeg4 video.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Yeah, what grabber said. Is it a .mov or .mp4?

If it's mp4, it's not an Apple format, it's just that QuickTime is the default player for mp4's on your pc.

If it's mov, the mov file format is made by Apple, but it's just a container file. Which means it contains media like h.264, 3gp, aac or motion jpeg. Just like avi is just a container and contains different codecs. These codecs are (mostly) not made by Apple..
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Yeah, what grabber said. Is it a .mov or .mp4?

If it's mp4, it's not an Apple format, it's just that QuickTime is the default player for mp4's on your pc.

If it's mov, the mov file format is made by Apple, but it's just a container file. Which means it contains media like h.264, 3gp, aac or motion jpeg. Just like avi is just a container and contains different codecs. These codecs are (mostly) not made by Apple..
    I don't have any idea. I just recorded a video and then transferred it to my PC. I didn't even have QuickTime and had to download it to view the videos. Can you choosed the video format to record in?
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I don't have any idea. I just recorded a video and then transferred it to my PC. I didn't even have QuickTime and had to download it to view the videos. Can you choosed the video format to record in?
    I wish. Most of my friends on different networks can't view my videos on their phones for some reason.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $Pre$ $records$ $in$ $H$.$263$ $codec$, $which$ $is$ $pretty$ $standard$ $for$ &$quot$;$new$ $gen$&$quot$; $smartphones$ $as$ $iphone$/$palm$/$google$ $strategy$: $hardware$ $decode$ $H$.$264$ $and$ $encode$ $H$.$263$
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Assuming that you are talking a Windows PC, you have the option of installing another video player (eg VLC) and then setting that as the default handler for .mp4 files (Control Panel>Folder Options>File types).
    Last edited by johncc; 05/17/2010 at 10:09 PM.
    Windows media player can play MP4 files. If not, you may need to download some codecs or plugins. The mp4 file extension does default to quicktime but you can easily change that. I use WMP to play the videos taken by the Pre.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!