Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You could tell us Sprint (and VZW, etc) people... we won't bite you.

What are your first thoughts about this phone?
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Coming from a Windows Mobile device, the lack of buttons (specifically dpad) is a bit disconcerting, but I think I will get used to it soon enough. I think the whole device feels too smooth. I want to feel more texture. I also miss the ability to tap and hold for pop-up menu. I wish this will work for cut and paste. Other than that, I am enjoying it so far. It's a learning curve... not having to deal with .cab files are strange...
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post

Speak for yourself, I want my extra ram and space!
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    Coming from a Windows Mobile device, the lack of buttons (specifically dpad) is a bit disconcerting, but I think I will get used to it soon enough. I think the whole device feels too smooth. I want to feel more texture. I also miss the ability to tap and hold for pop-up menu. I wish this will work for cut and paste. Other than that, I am enjoying it so far. It's a learning curve... not having to deal with .cab files are strange...
    You can dial from the keyboard if you like buttons. It works if the phone app is running and in focus. Feels just like the old 700wx when you do that. Not that I ever want anything to feel like the 700wx, which is the worst product Palm ever made IMHO.

Two things to remember. terms like cabs/roms/mods are usually "patches" to webOS users. And, of you can imagine an idea or need, there is probably already "a patch for that"...

Quickinstall and Preware are your friends. They provide oh so much value by doing things that you would expect a phone from Palm to do... But once you've customized your phone to be exactly the way you want it, you will be so amazed at how you just cant put it down and you are always showing it to other people.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I was ready to return it within about 30 minutes since nothing seemed to work like I expected. However it is starting to grow on me pretty quickly. There is no doubt that webos is top notch, just a bit of a different paradigm.

I would rate the hardware as acceptable. It feels great in the hand and I'm getting used to the keyboard pretty quickly. Build quality seems on par or better than any other slider device......you just can't make something designed to split in two to be rock solid, but it is certainly good. I'm coming from a Nexus One and I am definitely missing the larger and higher resolution display. I keep thinking that webos on something with a nice, big screen would truly be killer. Think webos on google nexus one, htc desire or htc hd2. I'm not bashing the device, but I think the above combination would be great. I wish I knew how long it would be before we see new hardware, but the os may win me over no matter what.
    give it a couple of weeks and play with Preware, and you will never imagine going back to Android. I promise.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    That's what I'm planning on doing. I miss a larger screen, but the os really Is very compelling. I'll start hacking away shortly and I'm sure that will help as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post

Love it!

I've been a palm user for over a decade, but never had one of the smart phones. I've had VIIc (?), a T5, and most recently a LifeDrive. I will miss some of the apps (I don't plan on running Classic mode) but I'm sure I'll find suitably replacements.

The AT&T store I went to was seriously confused. They had 4 units, 2 of them out on display. But they were not familiar with the phone and were barely aware of the launch. I didn't care. I knew what I was doing, so that was good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiztik View Post
    .... I knew what I was doing, so that was good enough.
    This can not be underestimated when going to an ATT store.

You can be sure they would at least have played with it if the Pre was called iPre.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    coming from a treo pro. I really miss the dpad and "tap and hold" as well. I also miss kinoma and slingplayer and other apps. touchstone makes up for it though. Also the phone is alot faster than i expected. coming from wm 6.1 every app took about 2 to 3 seconds to load. the pre plus is equal or better than that so Im happy so far. I want to play with my virgin pre for a while so I'll know what a stock pre feels like just in case I mess something up with patches etc.
    Last edited by treogangsta; 05/17/2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I am absolutely loving it so far...sure it's only been one day, but it's been a great day. In the coming days, I plan on becoming adventurous and trying out installing homebrew/patches, overclocking, etc.

By the way, I'm coming from a iPhone 3g (jailbroken).
    Quote Originally Posted by npyle View Post
    I am absolutely loving it so far...sure it's only been one day, but it's been a great day. In the coming days, I plan on becoming adventurous and trying out installing homebrew/patches, overclocking, etc.

By the way, I'm coming from a iPhone 3g (jailbroken).
    Good boy/girl
    Quote Originally Posted by treogangsta View Post
    coming from a treo pro. I really miss the dpad and "tap and hold" as well. I also miss kinoma and slingplayer and other apps. touchstone makes up for it though. Also the phone is alot faster than i expected. coming from wm 6.1 every app took about 2 to 3 seconds to load. the pre plus is equal or better than that so I happy so far. I want to play with my version pre for a while so I'll know what a stock pre feels like just in case I mess something up with patches etc.

Could always give Classic a try. It is a PalmOS emulator, that runs on the pre. I hear Slingplayer works on there, as far kinoma I am unsure.

You get a 7 day free trial so it is worth a shot.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    So that we are clear, when us WinMo users refer to 'dpad' it is not 'dialpad,' but 'directional pad' as it in up-down-left-right directional button. There are times where I just want to advance a line to read something and I prefer not to move my finger to slide it around. On a dpad, you just press down once and it advances down a line or so.
    If there is not a patch for that, I am sure there is a way to make it so. (Wait for someone more in the know I tend not to follow patches unless I need something) There is also a place where you can request patches.
    sold my 9700 and e72 so i can run with a 3gs+pre plus combo. my first impressions are pretty good. webOS is really fluid. only issue is the build quality is a bit shotty compared to an iphone or a 9700. My pre plus (bought yesterday) has a creaking area on the chin, where if i press in a bit, it creaks, but i mean thats what happens with plastic. battery is kinda bad and i really dont like how they used the shiny plastic, way too finger print prone. other then that, i like it.
    Wish it wasn't $250, but that's pretty much my only complaint. Battery is doing much better than day 1.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    How is the call quality compared to other AT&T devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...l-quality.html
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    call quality did seem to be better than my treo pro. My treo pro would echo and i could hear myself talking thru the speaker. I did get one dropped call though.

Does google maps do navigation? I not paying 10 a month for att nav access that's plain crazy.
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast