Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjcd View Post
    I am a lifetime Blackberry user who has decided a change was needed and purchased a Palm Pre Plus on ATT this week. So far, So good. I would like to thank all the members here as reading these posts, instructions, etc. have been amazingly helpful to modify my pre the way i want it. And of coarse the people who work on homebrew and preware... THANK YOU!!!! Your work absolutely makes this phone well worth it.

I do have a question if anyone can help me. I have downloaded the virtual keyboard but it says its not yet available on 1.4.2. Does anyone know when it will be available because that keyboard might be the last step to me never going back to a blackberry.

the virtual keyboard issue i myself am not sure, though I myself will ask the developer about if its compatiable at its current state for the AT&T version (even if it states not compatiable for 1.4.2). Ill let you know ASAP
    I have to say there are many things I love about the Pre, but at the same time I feel that this is a step backwards from the Treo. For me, it's all about the PIMs. The PIMs on the Pre are seriously deficient. I can't believe that the Pre's Universal Search is so feeble, not even close to the old Find function. If I have a contact Tom Smith with the title Plumber, and search "plumber" - nothing will come up. If you have a company with the name A&Z Plumbing and search "plumbing" - nothing will come up - but will if you search A&.... results will be returned. I haven't found a solution for this yet, but this is a considerable step backwards.

One can forget about the lame built in Memos, but fortunately there is the fine replacement ClassicNote which has built in full search functionality.
    Last edited by Convert; 05/24/2010 at 07:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbplan View Post
    There are two things my phone can do that I don't think the CDMA versions could do. 1) It syncs my google apps for domains account just fine. Prior versions only worked with gmail, from what I read. 2) I can assign custom ringtones for each email account. This was almost a deal breaker for me when I was deciding whether to buy the device. What a pleasant surprise to find out this can be done in the AT&T version. That's my 2 cents.
    Just an FYI my Sprint Pre syncs my Google Apps for domain just fine AND u can have different ringtone/alerts for each email account.

So u att/pre folks aren't so special after all..........oh wait how much memory u got..........oh yeah double the sprint amount..........ill go hide now....LOL
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeefe1 View Post
    ...For example: I'm a little disconcerted that the Bluetooth radio is in discovery mode whenever it is on. It's a security concern and I think I may write a patch for that myself... That said, pairing the Pre with my MotoRokR S9 stereo headset, the Oakley O-RokR stereo sunglasses, and my Motorola HS850 headset was as simple as it could possibly be...
    /john
    This is incorrect info. The phone is only in discovery mode while you have the bluetooth app open (and bluetooth on). Once you close the app the phone is no longer discoverable. Upon relaunching the app you'll see a message that it is making the phone discoverable again.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Loving my Pre+ on ATT. No double types or missed characters. Fast GPS lock. Classic running with Datebk6. Moving data over from Handyshopper. Life is Good.

Now I just need to get a copy of NanPlayer.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Can someone with an AT&T Pre+ tell me if the GPS navigation service is included in their plan? In reading their website, it sure seems to be, and as I follow the purchasing path on their website there is no place to add it. So, unless it can only be subscribed to from the phone (which is possible I guess), I don't see where it is an extra cost option...

From the AT&T page for the Pre+:

The Palm® Pre (TM) Plus has:

Voice-guided GPS
    Built-in GPS
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    It has been fine most of the day yesterday and all day so far today, wondering if the FB app was the root cause as I have not yet reloaded that back on. May do tonight and see how it goes...
    Ended up getting a replacement on friday and this one has been flawless so far.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm a former 650 and 680 users now 1 week with the Pre. This is an awesome device with technology far ahead of its time. I may not be ready for its technology.
    I've always been amazed that anything I needed to do just "worked on Palm" or there was someone who was going to make it work and this made my life easier. Of course I wanted to upgrade to their latest device, we always want more when it works but also I found as ATT is upgrading their network the more I was noticing its effect on the performace of the 680 and sadly since the 680 will NEVER be updated the Pre was the next step. All in all, I can’t put it down it’s truly amazing. There has been a Palm vs. Iphone riverly in my home for the last 1 ˝ between me and my son, the two worst issues IMO of the Iphone (items # 2 and 6) are now on my Palm.

Differences from Treo 680 to the Pre for me
    1. not being "one-hand friendly"

2. having to touch with just the right part of the finger instead of just tapping or highting with my finger nail for cut, copy & paste makes it very difficult to correct a typo and I have small fingers.-I'd like to see at least arrow keys because when I touch to make a correction I end up somewhere around the character would be nice to have an arrow key to navigate instead of havin to keep trying to touch in the right spot or deleting the entire line.. I hate using my son's (who is liking my Pre lately) for this very reason. It's too much work/frustrating and definately slows my multi-tasking down and makes it impossible to play a game of Solataire.

3.Two programs I'm dependant on are Call Rec and Genius.
    I can use Genuis via Classic BUT I wish I didn't have to actually load Classic before using it. Would be nice to have a launcher program like Initiate to select which programs to appear on the initial screen even if they are loaded in Classic. As for Call Rec it will load into Classic but will not record. I have a need to record both sides of a conversation. At first I thought Call Rec didn't work because it needs a memory card but I ran NVbackup which puts the back up on a memery card, just to see which of my programs work in Classic and that works. Anyone have a suggestions because this could put me back to the Treo regardless of the changes due to ATT‘s network upgrade.

4. IM program like AIM or ATT Instant messager. Both will load via Classic but AOL/AIM freezes and ATT IM loads with the Classic cert but them dislays an illegal operation.

5. No memory card use, thinking I could learn to live with this..

6. Having to wait for a charge to use the phone when the battery drains. Another thing about the Iphone I hate. With my Treo I would just pop in a freshly charged battery or put in on the charger and it instantly started ready for use with no wait time.

7. I have always made it a point to purchase devices with no moving parts even before the Treos. The slide out keyboard, althought VERY sturdy at this point worries me. Who ever built the 650 and 680 made solid devices. My 650 has always been in a case but my 680 was always in my pocket without a case and thrown around in the car This phone has been burried in the sand, in the ocean and pool and just turned on flawlessly when cleaned off or dried.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm a former 650 and 680 users now 1 week with the Pre. This is an awesome device with technology far ahead of its time. I may not be ready for its technology.
    I've always been amazed that anything I needed to do just "worked on Palm" or there was someone who was going to make it work and this made my life easier. Of course I wanted to upgrade to their latest device, we always want more when it works but also I found as ATT is upgrading their network the more I was noticing its effect on the performace of the 680 and sadly since the 680 will NEVER be updated the Pre was the next step. All in all, I can’t put it down it’s truly amazing. There has been a Palm vs. Iphone riverly in my home for the last 1 ˝ between me and my son, the two worst issues IMO of the Iphone (items # 2 and 6) are now on my Palm.

2. having to touch with just the right part of the finger instead of just tapping or highting with my finger nail for cut, copy & paste makes it very difficult to correct a typo and I have small fingers.-I'd like to see at least arrow keys because when I touch to make a correction I end up somewhere around the character would be nice to have an arrow key to navigate instead of havin to keep trying to touch in the right spot or deleting the entire line.. I hate using my son's (who is liking my Pre lately) for this very reason. It's too much work/frustrating and definately slows my multi-tasking down and makes it impossible to play a game of Solataire.

I can use Genuis via Classic BUT I wish I didn't have to actually load Classic before using it. Would be nice to have a launcher program like Initiate to select which programs to appear on the initial screen even if they are loaded in Classic. As for Call Rec it will load into Classic but will not record. I have a need to record both sides of a conversation. At first I thought Call Rec didn't work because it needs a memory card but I ran NVbackup which puts the back up on a memery card, just to see which of my programs work in Classic and that works. Anyone have a suggestions because this could put me back to the Treo regardless of the changes due to ATT‘s network upgrade.

4. IM program like AIM or ATT Instant messager. Both will load via Classic but AOL/AIM freezes and ATT IM loads with the Classic cert but them dislays an illegal operation.

5. No memory card use, thinking I could learn to live with this..

6. Having to wait for a charge to use the phone when the battery drains. Another thing about the Iphone I hate. With my Treo I would just pop in a freshly charged battery or put in on the charger and it instantly started ready for use with no wait time.

7. I have always made it a point to purchase devices with no moving parts even before the Treos. The slide out keyboard, althought VERY sturdy at this point worries me. Who ever built the 650 and 680 made solid devices. My 650 has always been in a case but my 680 was always in my pocket without a case and thrown around in the car This phone has been burried in the sand, in the ocean and pool and just turned on flawlessly when cleaned off or dried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Can someone with an AT&T Pre+ tell me if the GPS navigation service is included in their plan? In reading their website, it sure seems to be, and as I follow the purchasing path on their website there is no place to add it. So, unless it can only be subscribed to from the phone (which is possible I guess), I don't see where it is an extra cost option...

From the AT&T page for the Pre+:

The Palm® Pre (TM) Plus has:

Voice-guided GPS
    Built-in GPS
    the first 30 days free - after $9.99 per month for unlimited access
    can you point me to where it says that on their website? To me, the text that says "included" doesn't indicate a restriction, and I don't see it in their order path. Is it something that can only be ordered from the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    So that we are clear, when us WinMo users refer to 'dpad' it is not 'dialpad,' but 'directional pad' as it in up-down-left-right directional button. There are times where I just want to advance a line to read something and I prefer not to move my finger to slide it around. On a dpad, you just press down once and it advances down a line or so.
    Not quite the same, but you can get movement akin to directional arrows by holding the solid key (it's orange on the original pre, but I think they changed it?) and just swiping on the screen in the direction you want the cursor to advance.

Another tip along those same lines is to hold shift with the delete key to delete a word at a time.

The third text tip I have is that if you type something that autocompletes, and it is at the end of a sentence, it may be habitual for you to hit space for the autocomplete, but then your punctuation isn't there. You can put the period, exclamation, question mark there, and the autocomplete will occur.
    : (){:|:&};:
    @dianaml

Check out zCorder in Preware. I think it will record your conversation. If not, I know such apps will be developed by homebrewers once the mic and speaker APIs are released by Palm. I think they told the dev conference that they are targeting Q3, but you should check with the zcorder developer for details...
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    the virtual keyboard issue i myself am not sure, though I myself will ask the developer about if its compatiable at its current state for the AT&T version (even if it states not compatiable for 1.4.2). Ill let you know ASAP
    THANKS! Ive downloaded it to my pre using preware but it says its not ready yet for 1.4.2 and its holding the spot (which i assume means once it is it will automatically update through preware). I'm just curious if anyone knows when it should be available. I cant wait to get that running to "quick text" and whatnot using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    Coming from a Windows Mobile device, the lack of buttons (specifically dpad) is a bit disconcerting, but I think I will get used to it soon enough. I think the whole device feels too smooth. I want to feel more texture. I also miss the ability to tap and hold for pop-up menu. I wish this will work for cut and paste. Other than that, I am enjoying it so far. It's a learning curve... not having to deal with .cab files are strange...
    I am also coming from a Win Mo Treo Pro and was really nervous about no dpad and softkeys. I am dealing fairly well, still adjusting.

I really like the Palm Pre Plus so far. Now that have Preware and Quick System Tasks installed, I can now switch back and forth between 2G and 3G. This will allow my Pre to make it 12 hours.

Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    can you point me to where it says that on their website? To me, the text that says "included" doesn't indicate a restriction, and I don't see it in their order path. Is it something that can only be ordered from the phone?
    The AT&T Navigator application comes on the phone. The Terms of Use mention a monthly fee. When I bought mine in the store, there was an option to add the service for the fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    The AT&T Navigator application comes on the phone. The Terms of Use mention a monthly fee. When I bought mine in the store, there was an option to add the service for the fee.
    Thanks! I wonder why I can't find that on their website or in the order path on to buy on line. Seems almost deceptive to say it's included and not mention that it requires a cost that you won't know about until you have purchased the phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by dianaml View Post
    I use mine one handed all the time. You must have small hands?

Call recording may not be to far from happening: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...2-zcorder.html

Why not use the built in messaging app for AIM? ATT is not in the list, but you can add a whole bunch more IM services via http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-your-pre.html

Waiting for a charge when completely depleted, true. As far as popping in a freshly charged battery, this you can do with the Pre as well.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I'm having resets daily on my Pre, and my wife is also. Is this common of a Pre? That's why I bought a new phone in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Loving my Pre+ on ATT. No double types or missed characters. Fast GPS lock. Classic running with Datebk6. Moving data over from Handyshopper. Life is Good.

Now I just need to get a copy of NanPlayer.
    What are you using as a Handyshopper replacement? That is one of my favorite apps.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast