Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Thanks, everybody, for your input.
    Im inside AT&T store getting my Pre Plus now n
    i love it
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You can dial from the keyboard if you like buttons. It works if the phone app is running and in focus. Feels just like the old 700wx when you do that. Not that I ever want anything to feel like the 700wx, which is the worst product Palm ever made IMHO.

Two things to remember. terms like cabs/roms/mods are usually "patches" to webOS users. And, of you can imagine an idea or need, there is probably already "a patch for that"...

Quickinstall and Preware are your friends. They provide oh so much value by doing things that you would expect a phone from Palm to do... But once you've customized your phone to be exactly the way you want it, you will be so amazed at how you just cant put it down and you are always showing it to other people.
    Hey there, cantaffordit. My first palmphone was the Kyocera 6035, like you. It was the very first smart phone. I loved it. I was the first one in my town to get one, I think it was back in 2002. Then a 7035, then a treo 600, then treo 650, a couple of Nokias, Blackberries, etc. I got the Pre Plus for AT&T on Tuesday. So far I like it, but it's not intuitive like my Blackberry's were. I need to read the user manual. FWIW, I've been waiting months for the release of the AT&T version, and reading up on the flaws in the Verizon & Sprint versions.

There are two things my phone can do that I don't think the CDMA versions could do. 1) It syncs my google apps for domains account just fine. Prior versions only worked with gmail, from what I read. 2) I can assign custom ringtones for each email account. This was almost a deal breaker for me when I was deciding whether to buy the device. What a pleasant surprise to find out this can be done in the AT&T version. That's my 2 cents.
    I have been waiting for years to replace my Treo 650 .... which oddly enough, bit the dust this morning ... served me well for almost 5+ years but was mad at Palm for not offering a worthy GSM replacement.

However right now, I am a bit hesitant to invest in a HP device. I am also a bit perturbed by AT&T's hesitancy to carry phones which compete with the iPhone. Given the flat sales of the Pre and Pixi as reported by Sprint / Verizon, I have got to wonder about the future of this line from a software and accessories development standpoint.

The thought of not having a Palm phone is something I haven't done since the "last millenium", with its sales figures, I must wonder if it's a wise move to invest in Palm Hardware at this juncture.

I use my 650 primarily as a phone, with the secondary usage being as GPS w/ TomTom and a Seido GPS / Cradle. My other most useful apps are:

Treo Alarm
    Tracker Dog
    PDF Reader
    E-Book Reader
    Astroware Suduu
    Browser
    E-Mail (rare)
    Tide Tool
    Metro
    Mini - Office Suite

To me a phone is not an entertainment device nor a substitute for a laptop w/ a full keyboard. I almost never have the thing in my hand for more than 5 minutes .... longest usage is when in cradle as GPS or when I am wasting time doing Sudoku.

So, given the preceding, I must say that my brain is telling to wait for the iPhone 4G just because of the ever expanding market dominance and the customer benefits that go with what that brought to Palm in its day. My heart is hoping someone will talk me out of it using logical discourse please rather than "Apple is Evil" rants..
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Very excited to pick it up yesterday and was enjoying it when it's working properly, but have run into some issues already I'm hoping to resolve. Things have gotten a little worse today and have already done a full erase and am considering doctoring it..

Apps installed:
    Facebook
    Slacker
    Dr. Podder
    SmartRunner
    Preware

Two google accounts setup.

Issues I've encountered:

1. Random luna restarts -- had this happen 3 or 4 times yesterday. Couple times trying to hit the power button, getting no response, then hitting it again. Also had it happen when I placed it on the touchstone and poof, reset. One more when I closed the slider.

2. Freeze on the touchstone. Left my phone on the touchstone overnight and when I got up this morning, it was frozen at 3:53 AM and had to pull the battery to reset it (now know about the power button + ringer switch combo to reset).

3. Menu button (top left) disappeared at one point and top menu bar was completely unresponsive. At this point as well the top center where the time displays was showing just the date.

Think that's it.. anyone else seen these type of problems?

EDIT - have deleted all downloaded apps at this point and will see how it goes running barebones...

Sometimes the contacts for the Touchstone back don't fully make contact with the back of the phone. It will cause freezing and luna restarts. You can try adjusting this by slightly bending the contact pins on the back of the Pre (underneath the battery cover) so they make a better connection.

Just throwing this out there.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    I have been waiting for years to replace my Treo 650 .... which oddly enough, bit the dust this morning ... served me well for almost 5+ years but was mad at Palm for not offering a worthy GSM replacement.

However right now, I am a bit hesitant to invest in a HP device. I am also a bit perturbed by AT&T's hesitancy to carry phones which compete with the iPhone. Given the flat sales of the Pre and Pixi as reported by Sprint / Verizon, I have got to wonder about the future of this line from a software and accessories development standpoint.

The thought of not having a Palm phone is something I haven't done since the "last millenium", with its sales figures, I must wonder if it's a wise move to invest in Palm Hardware at this juncture.

I use my 650 primarily as a phone, with the secondary usage being as GPS w/ TomTom and a Seido GPS / Cradle. My other most useful apps are:

Treo Alarm
    Tracker Dog
    PDF Reader
    E-Book Reader
    Astroware Suduu
    Browser
    E-Mail (rare)
    Tide Tool
    Metro
    Mini - Office Suite

To me a phone is not an entertainment device nor a substitute for a laptop w/ a full keyboard. I almost never have the thing in my hand for more than 5 minutes .... longest usage is when in cradle as GPS or when I am wasting time doing Sudoku.

So, given the preceding, I must say that my brain is telling to wait for the iPhone 4G just because of the ever expanding market dominance and the customer benefits that go with what that brought to Palm in its day. My heart is hoping someone will talk me out of it using logical discourse please rather than "Apple is Evil" rants..
    OMG Jack! Where the heck did you come from?
    What a longtime its been.
    Glad to see you.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbplan View Post
    Hey there, cantaffordit. My first palmphone was the Kyocera 6035, like you. It was the very first smart phone. I loved it. I was the first one in my town to get one, I think it was back in 2002. Then a 7035, then a treo 600, then treo 650, ...clip...
    Another 6035 guy here.
    We should of had a club.
    Awesome device.

6035 -> 650 -> 8525(TYTN) -> 750 -> 850(TreoPro)
    Just call me Berd.
    Hi Guys,

I'm a former iPhone 3g user that has recently upgraded to the pre plus. I must say that the multitasking on webos is hands down the best. However, their are serveral things that need improvements for palm to compete with apple and google. First, the app store is serious in need of more and better content. If not from homebrew this phone would be forgotten about. Secondly, as I type using my new pre, why make a physical keyboard harder to use than a virtual keyboard. Adding the fact, the auto correction just plain sucks. Third, palm took a step back when launching a device with a screen smaller than your competitors. While the screen is stunning, I think a 3.1 in screen doesn't bring out the beauty of webos. There are some software issues too, but what device doesn't have those. I'm going to keep the phone for another 5 days using patches and homebrew apps to see if this phone will work for me. If not I will return this baby back to att.
    I got my Pre Plus in the mail yesterday afternoon...I have to say, this phone is amazing! I personally love everything about it. It actually exceeds my expectations so far.

I have it overclocked via Uberkernel/Govnah, and it's blazing fast. Also installed about 30 patches and counting, plus a whole bunch of apps.

Don't know how anyone could not love this thing...

And yes, I am typing this on my beautiful Pre.
    I can't sync my Outlook Notes. I was able to purchase the "missinc sync" from Mark/Space for $39.99 (integrated sync which the iPhone brings out of the box) but still I can't sync my outlook notes, is anyone else having similar problems on the Pre/WebOS?
    Chester Vargas - Palm VII, Handspring Visor, T2, T3, TX, Treo 650, 680, 750, Treo Pro ==> iPhone 3GS 32GB ==> Pre Plus at&t ==> Pixi Plus at&t ==> Pre Plus at&t
    just bought one online, no contract. waiting for it in the mail now. will report back!
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    I can't sync my Outlook Notes. I was able to purchase the "missinc sync" from Mark/Space for $39.99 (integrated sync which the iPhone brings out of the box) but still I can't sync my outlook notes, is anyone else having similar problems on the Pre/WebOS?
    Have you tried Chapura's PocketMirror? It syncs Outlook notes, tasks, calendar and contacts.
    get palms data transfer assistant, it's free and will bring your not over. It's on the palm website.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    I am a lifetime Blackberry user who has decided a change was needed and purchased a Palm Pre Plus on ATT this week. So far, So good. I would like to thank all the members here as reading these posts, instructions, etc. have been amazingly helpful to modify my pre the way i want it. And of coarse the people who work on homebrew and preware... THANK YOU!!!! Your work absolutely makes this phone well worth it.

I do have a question if anyone can help me. I have downloaded the virtual keyboard but it says its not yet available on 1.4.2. Does anyone know when it will be available because that keyboard might be the last step to me never going back to a blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    Have you tried Chapura's PocketMirror? It syncs Outlook notes, tasks, calendar and contacts.
    I will have to try Pocketmirror from Chapura. Now I just wasted $39.99 on the missing sync (can't get a refund) and will have to invest another $40 on chapura's pocket mirror. What a waste of monies when Palm (new HP) could have provided an out off the box sync solution from the getko.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    get palms data transfer assistant, it's free and will bring your not over. It's on the palm website.
    did you see this po$t.... havent used it and so dont know if it works but he says its free

just looked at it, might not be what your looking for
    Last edited by c_legaspi; 05/23/2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darmster View Post
    First, the app store is serious in need of more and better content. If not from homebrew this phone would be forgotten about.
    What apps did you have on your iPhone that you can't get on the Pre? (I am just wondering, not saying the app catalog even remotely has the selection of the app store.)

Secondly, as I type using my new pre, why make a physical keyboard harder to use than a virtual keyboard. Adding the fact, the auto correction just plain sucks.
    Once you get used to the keyboard you can type extremely fast on the Pre. Once most people get used to it they like it. Kinda hard to explain.

Third, palm took a step back when launching a device with a screen smaller than your competitors. While the screen is stunning, I think a 3.1 in screen doesn't bring out the beauty of webos.
    Fully agree. I am hoping the next Pre has a bigger screen.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I love it to bad we had too wait so long
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    How is the call quality compared to other AT&T devices?
    On my Treo 650 I rarely ever had a dropped call. Now with the Pre I have at least one every day - the benefits of being on the wonderful world of 3G vs Edge.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast