Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
    Everyone used to a D-Pad: Make sure you familiarize yourselves with moving the cursor in a textfield by holding the orange/shift-key while swiping on the screen - it works great but seems to get very little attention.
    This IMHO is the biggest flaw in the execution of WebOS. There needs to be an EASIER way to select text. I had to use this 'feature' yesterday and it was a major PIA. All they need is a directional pad or arrow keys so that cursor can be more precisely positioned. This is a glaring omission on the WebOS design.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    Palm should certainly include a video that demonstrates the basics of navigating webOS. It is a little bit confusing at first. It is intuitive but intuitiveness is acquired through experience. It's new but once you get the hang of it you'll never look back.
    Check the Help app.
    The more I use it, the more I am loving it. Certainly a tinkerer's phone (and tinkering with most of the work done for you already by the awesome homebrew and precentral community), love being able to customize to my heart's content...breath of fresh air coming from the iPhone (never attempted jailbreaking simply because you have to do it against Apple's will, vs. Palm welcoming homebrew).

Although, coming from an iPhone 3G, I am missing the text-editing feature where you place the cursor by tapping and holding, then moving your finger in any direction to position the cursor to where you want the it. Meanwhile, there's a pop-up zoom view of the cursor (cuz you're covering the actual cursor with your finger) so you know when to release.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aberndotnet View Post
    The more I use it, the more I am loving it. Certainly a tinkerer's phone (and tinkering with most of the work done for you already by the awesome homebrew and precentral community), love being able to customize to my heart's content...breath of fresh air coming from the iPhone (never attempted jailbreaking simply because you have to do it against Apple's will, vs. Palm welcoming homebrew).

Although, coming from an iPhone 3G, I am missing the text-editing feature where you place the cursor by tapping and holding, then moving your finger in any direction to position the cursor to where you want the it. Meanwhile, there's a pop-up zoom view of the cursor (cuz you're covering the actual cursor with your finger) so you know when to release.
    In webos, you don't have to have your finger over the cursor to move it. Just hold square/grey/orange key and slide you finger across anywhere on the screen while not covering up the cursor.
    im new to webos but i like it so far. my biggest gripe is that the phone signal doesnt seem to be as good as my other phone (hd2 and x1a).

to me webos takes a bit of learning curve. programs on the phone is basically stripped down. if your into it or a power user it would be okay because they get set up their phone with preware and download the homebrew apps, but for a basic consumer, they might be a little disappointed as i was.

now that i have preware loaded, its time to customize my phone.
    I love mine. I have a friend who got one on Verizon last week and she has been calling me to ask for help. My wife who has an iPhone is amazed at the multitasking I can do especially while talking on the phone.
    I've been lurking on the PreCentral list for 2 years 19 weeks when AT&T finally launched their GSM Pre Plus. Of course I bought it (it was launched the day before my birthday after all...).

Coming from a long line of Palm PDAs and a Treo 680 and reading everything possible about the "WebOS experience" I thought I was ready. Reading about it and having it in your hand are two very different things - this is the finest cell phone I have ever owned (and I have had a bunch of really fine cell phones over the years).

Preware is the best thing imaginable for being able to personalize your Pre and make it operate the way you want/need it to.

For example: I'm a little disconcerted that the Bluetooth radio is in discovery mode whenever it is on. It's a security concern and I think I may write a patch for that myself... That said, pairing the Pre with my MotoRokR S9 stereo headset, the Oakley O-RokR stereo sunglasses, and my Motorola HS850 headset was as simple as it could possibly be.

Call quality is excellent - certainly as good or better than my Treo 680.

Speed is more than acceptable - even running Classic so I can have access to the three apps I don't have a WebOS native replacement for. It just works and Classic 2.0 even lets me use HotSync and the Outlook 2007 conduits!

This is just a cool phone - my son is jealous when he compares it to his iPhone. I can start a long download, reply to email, play a a quick game, and return to the browser in time to catch the completion of the download. He hasn;t been able to send an email since the last app he installed.

It was a long wait but I'm a very happy Pre Plus owner now.

/john
    Last edited by jkeefe1; 05/18/2010 at 03:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Check the Help app.
    It would be better if it played after your Palm Profile is created, don't you agree? So you're ready to enjoy webOS to fullest from the very beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    None and no.
    I think you should take it back. I've had my Pre for several months and it's restarted twice in that entire time. What you're experiencing is not normal.
    The random restarts are a problem that a lot of Sprint People had in the early days after the Pre first launched. The problem in the end came from a loose battery! Try taking the battery cover off, and folding a small piece of paper several times, and putting under the cover, on top of the Battery, and see if the problem doesnt go away. ;-)
    yep i have had both the pleasure and torture of owning a palm pre from sprint. yesterday i forced sprint to end my contract. i have had 6 palm pres since i the first one. all were broken under the warrenty and i had the total equipment protection.sprint said that they have warrentied as many as they would. they said i could purchase a new pre for like 500. but wouldnt warrenty my one month old refurbished pre. well i am tired of crappy service and crappy phones. the palm pre was a great phone that i loved. its not rugged enough for someone like me. well where do i go now?
    well i just got my new iphone 3gs 16 gigs. why did i ever get a pre? bigger in my hands. easy to use. and everything is there. i dont wait for updates or apps. i wasted soooo much money and time with sprint and palm pre. it was a good phone but now its just a chunnk of plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by leonkehoe View Post
    I think you should take it back. I've had my Pre for several months and it's restarted twice in that entire time. What you're experiencing is not normal.
    It has been fine most of the day yesterday and all day so far today, wondering if the FB app was the root cause as I have not yet reloaded that back on. May do tonight and see how it goes...
    coming from a 8GB Iphone for 1+ years i cannot handle virtual keyboards any longer.

I think webOS is the perfect blend between the iPhone OS and Android.....some limitations but much more customizable than Steve Jobs will ever let the iPhone be.

I installed preware and I was a little nervous about popping the webOS cherry but otherwise its fine.

I think the only downside, and i think this applies to almost all phones is the GPS needs to be more accurate just because that function is just so critical to so many different apps and user needs.
    I love mine, I've wanted one since the beginning but with intl travel must have GSM.
    It needs Skype, an EQ for music, free or better navigation, Google maps works but it's half-assed at best compared to my Nokia, which gave flawless operation and great free TTS navigation.
    I really like my Pre, the way it feels in my hand, the Touchstone, got a good ereader on there, got two Touchstones today for 19.99 each, it's all good!
    I haven't hacked it yet, haven't really felt the need to mess with it at that level. Reminds me of rooting my N900 and I get nervous doing that to a brand new phone, I'll wait a while till I understand what the Pre + "normal" is and go from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Hey battery is going to get better; all LiIo batteries need some sort of break-in but the Pre battery is by far the most susceptible I've ever used. My first full charge gave me all of two hours playtime. These days, a battery charge keeps me up for a day or very nearly as much.
    I sure hope so. Battery is my biggest complaint so far. I'm pretty ready to order a second one... will that charge on the touchstone by itself?

Loving the notifications, the weather dashboard app. Improved the pdf viewer with a patch, a few other things. Preware is AWESOME. I really dig the phone.

Complaints. I do have some. The battery.

I'm glad I now know how to work the cursor when entering text, but dammit, how do I copy and paste a url? I'd like to be able to copy the address to an rss feed and then add it (trying Feeds out). When I had the url in an address bar the web menu wouldn't open.

I need some kind of headset. Buds never stay in my ears.
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    the battery will not charge on the touchstone by itself. Battery life tips here http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/17233_en.html

easy way to copy off address bar is to hilight it then hold finger on gesture area and click c for copy and v for paste.
    Quote Originally Posted by redgeek View Post
    ...but dammit, how do I copy and paste a url? ...
    if you want to get the url of the page you are currently at then just scroll the page down until the address bar pops up, click it and the url will be highlighted. from here you can then tap the top right where it says "web" to bring up the menu and then go to edit and then cut or copy. Optionally (and easier/faster) you can use the shortcut of holding the gesture area and pressing the letter "c" on the keyboard for copy (holding "x" will do a cut and "v" is to paste).

if the url is a link on a webpage itself, then simply hold the square option key (its orange on my sprint pre, i think its grey on the att pre; either way its below the "a" and the the left of "z") and tap the link and it will bring up a menu that has a "copy link/url" option. then just paste it with the gesture area + "v" shortcut or through top left menu>edit>paste.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Automatic sync of email folders other than the inbox is my only gripe at this point. I should be able to select folders to automatically sync without having to go to them and open them.
    Don't be alarmed about the battery. It will take a week or so of cycles before you see it's real capacity.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Well, i just ended my HTC desire auction early this morning..Ive decided to go back to it and return the Pre to ATT..I was there at 12:10pm sun and picked mine up(touchstone arrived 2 days later) i really wanted to Like to device as it has great lines and looks very stealthy and sleek..Problem is the screen is entirely too small coming from a 3.7 inch device i just cant get used to the lack of screen size..Also the 3g RF has been terrible and i know my 3g service here is fine i get at most 3 bars and it just fluctuates back and forth from zero to 3..seems its isnt handing off to edge when its low it just sits at zero..i may have a bad unit..Taking the battery door off is horribly difficult i felt i was going to break the thing trying to open it up? After a couple days my slider already wobbles, Also the pre gets REALLY hot when i browse for a few minutes or when its charging? I keep it charging on touchstone next to my laptop and in the evening my wife has picked it up twice now accidentally thinking it was the Mouse(kensington black wireless mouse) to the laptop the are roughly the same size..lol..the Pre also just is alittle laggy not huge but im used to the HTC 1ghz pros and 576MB of ram a beast of a device..i however Love the web os , the cards swiping and flicking is really cool and love how it manages multitasking alot better than running task managers etc on android.The pre phone side when i get service is excellent earpiece sounds very good and loud..
    I hope to visit the WEB os again one day when they introduce some newer devices
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast