1.    #1  
    Tried searching for this but came up empty. Anyone else often have problems opening google maps? Many times mine will just sit with the icon flashing, then tell me I need an internet connection when I already have one up and running with EVDO and it ultimately won't open. I have to keep throwing the card away and reopening....it'll usually start working, but it takes a long while. What's the deal?
    Sometimes it happens to me but only rarely. When it does happen, all other Internet connections fail, the browser won't go anywhere, email doesn't work, pinging fails, etc. These problems go away after a reset however. I suspect that there is some problem with Java subsystem which controls the various radios. I haven't had a chance to try it but I very much suspect that using a utility like the Homebrew Luna Manager to restart Java on the phone will probably clear up this problem without a full phone restart.
    I'm having this same issue - I receive an error msg - Google Maps requires an internet connection

Is there a long term solution to this problem?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue View Post
    Tried searching for this but came up empty. Anyone else often have problems opening google maps? Many times mine will just sit with the icon flashing, then tell me I need an internet connection when I already have one up and running with EVDO and it ultimately won't open. I have to keep throwing the card away and reopening....it'll usually start working, but it takes a long while. What's the deal?
    If you have a Pre Plus, perhaps your phone is trying to spare you from the disappointment of learning that the maps function doesn't work when it opens.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    If you have a Pre Plus, perhaps your phone is trying to spare you from the disappointment of learning that the maps function doesn't work when it opens.
    The map does work when it opens.
    I saw that issue once. I don't recall it being consistent. Check to make sure your phone has a valid data connection - 3G and/or WiFi - by opening maps.google.com or something else on the web. I only saw it once or twice, and it was back when I was patching randomly and doctoring almost daily just to learn stuff.

Are you able to get valid internet content (email, browser, etc) when it is doing this? google maps actually downloads the maps each time you start it, which is part of why it takes so long to load - and why it needs the data connection.