Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Really happy with reception/call quality.
  2.    #22  
    Thanks guys.
    The Reviews at Att's site are Great also.
    I'm close to taking the plung.
    Just call me Berd.
    I put my screen protector over the mic (very small hole on bottom left of phone). That caused problem until I figured it out. My call quality has been as good or better than my Treo
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm M515 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre+ at&t - HP 32G Touchpad - HP Pre3 at&t
    I had better reception and call quality than my iPhone. I know my problem areas well and it was consistently better. I also compared my signal to my wife's iPhone at many occasions and it was always stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by arvindve View Post
    Call quality has been great. 3G network has been decent at best...dropped to Edge a couple of times...
    Another irritating thing is that AT&T doesn't let us turn off 3G...this kinda sucks at places where 3G is patchy and and data speed takes a hit. This also ruins my battery life...
    The homebrew app Quick System Tasks will let you do this. I have it turned on right now - 2G only.
    I haven't had a 3G device before, but my signal reception has been worse than my Treo 650, and same for my wife who had a Treo 680. In our house we used to have no problems with getting a signal. Now I have to walk around and look for bars (3G). Also, I rarely ever had a dropped call on the Treo, now I have them all the time with the Pre - I think this is the 3G service and not the phone? I am using Quick System Tasks to force Edge 2G where I get more bars, and am going to use it all day to see if it is better than 3G for calls. When I have a connected call, the quality is the same as it was with the Treo.
    downloads seems like they are faster but my call drops never existed when I was using my unlocked Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    I haven't had a 3G device before, but my signal reception has been worse than my Treo 650, and same for my wife who had a Treo 680. In our house we used to have no problems with getting a signal. Now I have to walk around and look for bars (3G). Also, I rarely ever had a dropped call on the Treo, now I have them all the time with the Pre - I think this is the 3G service and not the phone? I am using Quick System Tasks to force Edge 2G where I get more bars, and am going to use it all day to see if it is better than 3G for calls. When I have a connected call, the quality is the same as it was with the Treo.
    You stated it in your first sentence...bottom line is 3G drops more than 2G. So you have to decide if 3G speed and simulataneous voice and data is worth a few dropped calls. I can tell you that in my experience it is even worse when you are in motion and the towers have to "hand off" the call to one another.

Personally, I deal with it because I would be very frustrated to lose my simultaneous voice and data as I am on the phone so much. Speed is cool but much less important on my handheld as I don't really download big files or stream on it enough to make it a big deal.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by soloque View Post
    downloads seems like they are faster but my call drops never existed when I was using my unlocked Treo Pro
    I am coming from an unlocked Treo Pro and in my experience signal is much better on the Pre. I have had enough sims and devices (2 Pros and now on my second Pre) and this device gets signals in a few places that my Pro never got. For instance my parking structure is above ground and while driving around in it my Pro always dropped and my Pre has yet to drop--not even once. I have not made enough download tests to really check but I think my download speed is faster too.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Pretty much the same as my Centro and iPhone 3Gs.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I had an iphone and I use to think that phone had bad signal. Now my pre plus gets barely 1 bar when iphones around me are getting 4bars of 3g. Its killing my battery switching between edge and 3g. I didn't want to make a big deal but my friend just bought a pixi and asked "Why do I always have low reception on this phone?" he was comparing to his old nokia 71x. But I do agree the reception I get is far below average, and worse than iphones.

Can this be fixed through software? I love my pre but I never had so many problems with signal before.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    I have not seen any updates to the radio ala winmo for Palm WebOS phones. There may be someone working on it.
    BLiip

PS, you might want to edit you post to correct the grammatical error in the title.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    How's it compare with your other phones?
    Both are very good on my Pre+.
    I paid the extra fee's to do an early upgrade from my Nokia E71x, and the call quality has gone way up!

I'm glad I pulled the plug and switched early
    Reception is very good from where I'm at in CA, and call quality if very clear and it only gets bad when I'm in an EDGE area or virtual dead-zone...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    As a followup to my previous post, the plain GSM reception in marginal areas is better than my Centro was. I took a trip out to a spot that always leaves me with no signal, and was generally quite annoying, and I got steady 2g connection. There were still signal dropouts on the drive out, but fewer than with the Centro.
    10+ years of PalmOS and WebOS devices, from Vx through several Clies (until Sony killed them), to Tungsten T5 and T|X, to Centro, to Pre Plus.
    Voice quality both ways is good for me, but signal strength is noticeably inferior to my old Moto Q9H. I show 1-2 bars less signal than I used to get with the Q most everywhere I haunt, and I encounter more "dead spots" on my interstate commute than I did with the Q as well.

Still the voice quality is MUCH better, clear and distinct, and the signal issues really aren't too bad-- I think the Q just had some kind of mega-antenna or something as I used to get signal when my iPhone-rocking friends did not (and you can bet I rubbed it in their faces too lol).
    The voice quality is good, but I do think that the radio in my old BB Curve 8300 was better. It may have even been bigger, due to that phone being wider than the Pre Plus. You can't make me go back though. The Pre Plus has way more positives going for it.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Call reception is excellent. Call quality is excellent, despite being on a network overloaded by iPhone users.
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    For those of us living in fringe area of AT&T coverage, the company is now offering a "micro cell" device to boost coverage in your home or office.

Of course, they don't just give it away ($100 purchase price, $20/month to use it!) :O

AT&T MicroCell

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast