Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. sooby77's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi everyone,

    My ATT Pre Plus feels quite hot when I was playing with it today. I installed battery monitor and the temp hovers around 45 to 47C. Is this normal? Thanks.
  2. #2  
    Not normal, but understandable when you play hard on it... Lots of work with the wifi and phone radios will warm in up. SO will the touchstone.

    Put it in airplane mode for about 10 minutes, off the charger, screen off. Then check the temp...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/17/2010 at 09:08 AM.
  3. #3  
    wait a week. Once everything is synchronized and synergized, the heat will dissipate faster and battery will last longer
  4. sooby77's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
       #4  
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have another question. When I 'dock' my Pre Plus on the Touchstone, the notification dialog keeps popping up every few second saying "Charging Battery." Is this normal? It seems like it's losing connection and the reconnecting with the Touchstone.
  5. #5  
    you are not placing the Pre on the charger properly. before my case (has a hole for the TS) I used to place it on the bottom of the pre and slide down. once I felt the second set of magnets "lock in" i knew i had proper placement
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. I have another question. When I 'dock' my Pre Plus on the Touchstone, the notification dialog keeps popping up every few second saying "Charging Battery." Is this normal? It seems like it's losing connection and the reconnecting with the Touchstone.
    FYI, it is also possible that you have a defective touchstone. There were issues with some early ones but that was cleared up long ago - so that is a very remote possibility. Several things to keep in mind to make sure you are using it correctly:

    1) Always use a palm-branded wall adapter. Always. I've fried several USB ports (VZ graciously replaced them even though it was my stupidity). Always (did I mention that?)

    2) When putting the phone on the touchstone, put it slightly higher than where you think it goes. Put it in the center, or even just a little higher. Gravity will take over and it will slide in to the perfect spot.

    If you meet those two conditions, it should work perfectly. If not, you have a Touchstone issue. Before you panic on that, there is a major thread around here that you should explore. It has more information of a patch that helps, how to verify the cause, and what to do if your touchstone has an issue.

    I've found that if you follow the two items above, they are 99.9% perfect (remember that heat is generated by the power transfer...).

    I have 5 touchstones, because I cleaned out two sprint stores at $20 each (two even came with the TS back). The 5th one came from VZ when I got the phone. All 5 work perfectly. One in the car (perfect car kit...) and 4 scattered throughout the house...

    You will probably get more/better/faster help if you find the thread about the Touchstone patch...
  7. sooby77's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    you are not placing the Pre on the charger properly. before my case (has a hole for the TS) I used to place it on the bottom of the pre and slide down. once I felt the second set of magnets "lock in" i knew i had proper placement
    I think I had it placed correctly. I've always did what you said, let it slide down until it 'locks in.' I'll swap the battery in and out and see if it's still a problem. Otherwise, I'll go at ATT store to get it replaced.
  8. #8  
    By the way, 47 is an immensely high temperature that I have so far only achieved by overclocking to 800MHz and playing 3D games while on the touchstone. "Normal" playing around with the phone, even with 10 app cards open simultaneously should NOT give you this much heat. Are you overclocking already?

    If I were you I'd keep it for a few more days and see if it gets better. If it doesn't, I'd say your phone almost certainly suffers from some sort of hardware defect and I'd talk to AT&T about it.
  9. sooby77's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    By the way, 47 is an immensely high temperature that I have so far only achieved by overclocking to 800MHz and playing 3D games while on the touchstone. "Normal" playing around with the phone, even with 10 app cards open simultaneously should NOT give you this much heat. Are you overclocking already?

    If I were you I'd keep it for a few more days and see if it gets better. If it doesn't, I'd say your phone almost certainly suffers from some sort of hardware defect and I'd talk to AT&T about it.

    That's why I started this thread. I thought it was odd that it is this hot. 47C was when it was on the Touchstone. I think I have a defective Touchstone. I have 2 other Touchstone and the flashing on and off of the charging message does not happen. I wonder if the Touchstone is making it hotter than it should be.

    Edit: My current temp on the non-defective Touchstone with WIFI on while surfing the app catalog is 38C. Is that considered a normal temp?
  10. sooby77's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
       #10  
    I wasn't doing anything intensive earlier, just browsing the app catalog and checking email and the temp started to rise to 41C. I am starting to get concerned. My ATT Pre Plus is not overclocked. Now on the Touchstone, not doing anything on it, the temp is at 43c and climbing.

    Edit: My temp is at 50C just sitting on the Touchstone. What in the world is going on?? Is there anyway to see the CPU load like on a computer?
    Last edited by sooby77; 05/17/2010 at 08:35 PM.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    I wasn't doing anything intensive earlier, just browsing the app catalog and checking email and the temp started to rise to 41C. I am starting to get concerned. My ATT Pre Plus is not overclocked. Now on the Touchstone, not doing anything on it, the temp is at 43c and climbing.

    Edit: My temp is at 50C just sitting on the Touchstone. What in the world is going on?? Is there anyway to see the CPU load like on a computer?
    My temps about 40c on the touchstone, only thing I got going on right now is an alarm. Probably fairly normal, 50c does seem a tad bit high though.
  12. sooby77's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
       #12  
    What is everyone's temp on the Touchstone or normal usage?
  13. waltah's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #13  
    Just sitting here connected via USB it's at 88 F.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by sooby77 View Post
    What is everyone's temp on the Touchstone or normal usage?
    Touchstone: 40-45c
    Usage(browser): 35-40c

    Seems normal to me.

Posting Permissions