Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HI all,

As you know for the past few weeks, I have been keeping a running total of apps.

WE ADDED EXACTLY 166 APPS IN THE PAST 2 WEEKS!

Catalog Apps 2420
    Home Brew Apps 474
    Web Apps 428
    Beta Apps 164
    Total as of today 05/16/2010 (drum roll please), 3486!
    Last weeks total (minus) 3320
    Total new apps added 166

For the last few weeks, we were adding 120 to 150 a week. Now this two week period was 166. I assume the weekly drop off to approx 86 per week, reflects Palm's former economic condition. In other words, before a suitor was named for Palm.

It would be natural for additional app weekly totals, to dip and pick up at an even fast rate now that HP is in the picture.

Even with a dip in weekly app output to 166 for 2 weeks, that is still a total of roughly 4,000 new apps a YEAR. I would think we will see a weekly increase to several hundred and well beyond, in short shrift!

As I keep saying, Palm was assisting Game Loft to port 3D games to webOS. I expect they will continue that program with Game Loft and other firms as well. In fact, I expect it to increase it exponentially, since it is a relatively fast & easy process. After all, Palm is actively hiring additional personnel!

The merger of Pam HP is a win-win for all of us, now and further down the road. This as:

1. new apps appear
    2. as more firms start writing and porting for webOS
    3. and as Palm, HP or Palm/HP roll out new hardware!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    You said it all....

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    +1
    +2
    First we catch Android with their 30k, then we go after Apple...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post
    First we catch Android with their 30k, then we go after Apple...
    Since HP entered the picture, I have no doubt at all that we will get way past android in no time flat.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    by dec the pre will be at over 30k. That's a promise.
    Agreed. Lets hope we have a big muber next week
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I could less about total volume of apps, I just want good quality apps.

Who needs 500 fart apps, who even needs one fart app for that matter, and all those girls of, who cares, give me apps that really do something that I need.

I would be happy if we had 5,000 apps that were all useful and productive.

95% of Apples apps are useless and redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    by dec the pre will be at over 30k. That's a promise.
    First 11 months - 2.5K apps (Count Homebrew if you want to. Android has FIFTY - not 30 - thousand apps in their official market).
    Next 6 months - 27,500 apps. Really? You think that's going to happen just because Hewlett Packard acquired them?
    Quote Originally Posted by john3976 View Post
    I could less about total volume of apps, I just want good quality apps.

Who needs 500 fart apps, who even needs one fart app for that matter, and all those girls of, who cares, give me apps that really do something that I need.

I would be happy if we had 5,000 apps that were all useful and productive.

95% of Apples apps are useless and redundant.
    And since that same ratio of 95 percent "useless and redundant" holds across every app store regardless of the platform, WebOS has approximately 125 official apps that are not useless and redundant. iPhone would have 10,000 by your math.

Still don't want volume?

You need volume to generate more good apps. "Good" apps don't happen in a vacuum. The more critical mass a platform gets, the more "good" app developers want to use that platform.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I still think the amount and variety in real useful apps is still too limited... I don't see HP changing this.
    Should be nice to see some the catalog grow.
    I agree with John, there are way to many uselss Apps as it is, who cares about quantity, I would rather have something that is useful.
  15.    #15  
    Hi all,

Indirectly I care about quantity. This because, when the columnist write about a phone, they say only 3,000 apps, not 3,000 quality apps. From what I have read and heard, many programmers where holding back on writing for webOS, waiting to see if Palm sunk or swam. Now due to the financial investment of HP and their deep pockets, I see many more now willing to write for Palm.

take care, Jay
    Well with quantity comes some quality. I would rather have 5000 fart apps and a couple of great quality apps over 0 fart apps and no quality apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Indirectly I care about quantity. This because, when the columnist write about a phone, they say only 3,000 apps, not 3,000 quality apps. From what I have read and heard, many programmers where holding back on writing for webOS, waiting to see if Palm sunk or swam. Now due to the financial investment of HP and their deep pockets, I see many more now willing to write for Palm.

take care, Jay
    Not sure where you're seeing more developers willing to develop for Palm simply because HP bought them. Developers - as I understand it. I could be wrong - tend to value great development tools, platform consistency, and a huge user base over whether the parent company has deep pockets or not.

Palm's still catching up in some of these areas. Even with the Hot Apps cash giveaway, I'm not seeing a lot of unique offerings that differentiate the platform.
    Deep pockets help get the device out to more people with more Ad's the tools are pretty decent as of now, platform is not going to change much. Deep pockets means more devices other then 2. Which means more form factors. Android would not be where it is today if they had not had all the devices out there. If they had just 2 it would not surprise me if it had less of a market share than palm does at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Deep pockets help get the device out to more people with more Ad's the tools are pretty decent as of now, platform is not going to change much. Deep pockets means more devices other then 2. Which means more form factors. Android would not be where it is today if they had not had all the devices out there. If they had just 2 it would not surprise me if it had less of a market share than palm does at this point.
    There were always going to be more than two devices. HP will likely migrate it to a tablet, but that's yet another area where they are arriving somewhat late to the party and success is far from guaranteed.

Android's ubiquity is due to 1)Google getting comprehensive development tools out before even the FIRST phone launched and 2)It being used by a ton of moneyed manufacturers like Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and LG who can quickly blanket multiple carriers and regions across the world. HP, even with all of their resources, will not have the same impact and scope - at least initially.

As for your last sentence, it's simply not true. With simply the G1 and the MyTouch 3G/Magic, HTC sold over two million Android devices in roughly the same period of time that it took WebOS to get to 1.5 million.
    Android marketshare is going to sink in the foreseeable future as companies won't get the system for free the way it is right now, but are forced to pay Microsoft and Apple licensing fees to the tune of $80 per device. Once this is firmly established, hardware manufacturers will think twice about churning out Android devices the way they are right now and are probably rather going to go the WinPho7 route; I can even see Symbian^3 selling more devices in 2012 than Android. Once this turns out to be true (who knows, maybe Google can find a creative way around the problem), developers will jump off.

Palm on the other hand -- webOS is really easy to develop for, but I wholly understand developers that wouldn't touch a system that there was no guarantee would even live to see 2011.

Now that HP has webOS, and has said they're going to seriously push it, developers ALREADY see a new market opportunity. ESPECIALLY since the market is small as it is. Developing for the current, small webOS market gives you a much bigger chance to become a leader in the market than you would have in Appleland. Once you're a leader in this niche market before it explodes as a result of HP putting it on five different smartphones, a bunch of tablets, netbooks, regular notebooks and running a massive ad campaign, chances are you'll stay a leader in the market.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast