Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21  
    No what I am saying is that android got to where it is today because it had many devices over a rather short period of time, not just 2 devices in a year. Palm had no way of getting a crap load of devices out, sure they could have licensed it out, unlikely for free as they are not made out of money like google currently is. Plus with free options out there there may have been maybe 2 other phones right now if they licensed it out. 2 devices (maybe 4) in a single year is not easy. Apple is lucky because they have a following.


    All Android Phones
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not sure where you're seeing more developers willing to develop for Palm simply because HP bought them. Developers - as I understand it. I could be wrong - tend to value great development tools, platform consistency, and a huge user base over whether the parent company has deep pockets or not.

    Palm's still catching up in some of these areas. Even with the Hot Apps cash giveaway, I'm not seeing a lot of unique offerings that differentiate the platform.
    Hi, Simply put, most firms did not want to write for Palm, if the thought Palm was going to go out of Biz. Now that is no longer an issue! Therefore, now that Palm will be flush with $, more people will write for webOS! Take Care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Android marketshare is going to sink in the foreseeable future as companies won't get the system for free the way it is right now, but are forced to pay Microsoft and Apple licensing fees to the tune of $80 per device. Once this is firmly established, hardware manufacturers will think twice about churning out Android devices the way they are right now and are probably rather going to go the WinPho7 route; I can even see Symbian^3 selling more devices in 2012 than Android. Once this turns out to be true (who knows, maybe Google can find a creative way around the problem), developers will jump off.

    Palm on the other hand -- webOS is really easy to develop for, but I wholly understand developers that wouldn't touch a system that there was no guarantee would even live to see 2011.

    Now that HP has webOS, and has said they're going to seriously push it, developers ALREADY see a new market opportunity. ESPECIALLY since the market is small as it is. Developing for the current, small webOS market gives you a much bigger chance to become a leader in the market than you would have in Appleland. Once you're a leader in this niche market before it explodes as a result of HP putting it on five different smartphones, a bunch of tablets, netbooks, regular notebooks and running a massive ad campaign, chances are you'll stay a leader in the market.
    I have no idea how you figure that manufacturers are going to "think twice" about making Android devices when it's the only viable mass market OS to hit thus far since the launch of the iPhone, and has a 50K app base to start from. Sure, Windows Phone 7 will enter the picture and take some spotlight through the sheer force of Microsoft's will (and bank accounts), but Android is already the hero smartphone of every US carrier except for AT&T. The only thing that would change that in the forseeable future is Apple announcing a CDMA iPhone available on Verizon and Sprint.

    As for your outlook on WebOS, this is the same logic that's been bandied about since WebOS launch. What developer wouldn't want to be a big fish in a small pond, right? Turns out...a lot of 'em. For all of the talk about "better chances" for new developers on WebOS, the empirical data doesn't back it up.

    iPhone continues to see recent/new success stories from indie developers like the Doodle Jump guys or Tapulous or Backflip or many other developers who are raking in the cash. Even the highest profile indie WebOS success story (Self Aware Games) has been bringing in a fraction of the downloads and cash, and that cash comes from in-game purchases.

    I'm not saying that indie developers can't succeed on WebOS, but that breakthrough in terms of a unique killer app or critical mass or whatever have you just hasn't manifested yet.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    No what I am saying is that android got to where it is today because it had many devices over a rather short period of time, not just 2 devices in a year. Palm had no way of getting a crap load of devices out, sure they could have licensed it out, unlikely for free as they are not made out of money like google currently is. Plus with free options out there there may have been maybe 2 other phones right now if they licensed it out. 2 devices (maybe 4) in a single year is not easy. Apple is lucky because they have a following.[/url]
    In America, at least, there were just two Android devices available for the first year - the G1 and the MyTouch 3G, from a single manufacturer, just like Palm and also on a single domestic carrier, the smallest of the majors, BTW. The third US device - the Sprint Hero - didn't go on sale until a year after the launch of the G1, and then only on the next-to-smallest carrier.

    Palm, on the other hand, got on the the biggest domestic carrier just 7 months after launch and did even worse than when they were just on Sprint.

    Android's rise didn't come as the result of the combined sales of dreck like the Acer Liquid or Samsung Behold II or Huawei Pulse. Or even from Google's own superphone, Nexus One, which sold poorly. It came because they paired it with effective advertising and good pricing from a single carrier, then followed it up with an even better spec'd sequel. Getting it really right - even once - does a lot to offset all of those dud Android handsets that have already been forgotten.

    Palm has yet to get it really right. I hope the first HP/Palm handset nails it.
  5. Keldog's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    #25  
    Speaking from personal experience, I have friends that have started working on new webOS apps.. and are quite excited about the future of the Palm.

    That being said, webOS has a pretty big hurdle to overcome. Best course of action might be to carve out a niche and produce quality over quantity.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    First 11 months - 2.5K apps (Count Homebrew if you want to. Android has FIFTY - not 30 - thousand apps in their official market).
    Next 6 months - 27,500 apps. Really? You think that's going to happen just because Hewlett Packard acquired them?
    1. I know android has 50, i'm saying palm willl get 30...

    2. look at the first month of the pres release.. Look at how many apps released then, now look at how many they released last month..

    it took them 2.5 months to hit 50 apps. While it's true that the sdk was only for a limited number of devs, palm has to still improve their tools, release new apis, etc..


    3. Android had about 10-20 000 apps, it had gotten them slowly over the years, then when android hype came, it got 30 000 apps in a month (march). Palms pdk makes it really easy to port iphone apps, once it gets proper hype (it had it, but the tools weren't ready yet, and by the time they where they lost their hype), it will get apps..

    Maybe not 30, 000, but 20, 000 is a minimum. With a new phone, palm will get the momentum that they need.
  7. #27  
    If you were to count the ammount of programs that can run in the Classic App, how many would that make then? Hmmmm.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by keldog View Post
    speaking from personal experience, i have friends that have started working on new webos apps.. And are quite excited about the future of the palm.
    more power to them, that's great to hear!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by atl10pnr View Post
    If you were to count the ammount of programs that can run in the Classic App, how many would that make then? Hmmmm.
    I have always thought that Palm made a major mistake in marketing the Pre and webOS, as far as classic Palm OS Apps were concerned.

    They should have STRESSED that not just are we offering you ____ (fill in a #), number of new apps, for our new webOS, with thousands more on the way, better yet, all of your favorite Palm OS apps will work as well.


    In stead of having that freaky commercial that first came out, they in effect should have tried to sell coal to the coal man.

    That would have been selling "having your cake and eating it too"!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    3. Android had about 10-20 000 apps, it had gotten them slowly over the years, then when android hype came, it got 30 000 apps in a month (march). Palms pdk makes it really easy to port iphone apps, once it gets proper hype (it had it, but the tools weren't ready yet, and by the time they where they lost their hype), it will get apps..
    This is a common misconception on these forums. It makes it easy for game developers to port their games, but all other applications (especially those developing using the cocoa framework) is next to impossible to straight port.

    To port a typical iPhone application a developer essentially has to rewrite the application from scratch.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I have always thought that Palm made a major mistake in marketing the Pre and webOS, as far as classic Palm OS Apps were concerned.

    They should have STRESSED that not just are we offering you ____ (fill in a #), number of new apps, for our new webOS, with thousands more on the way, better yet, all of your favorite Palm OS apps will work as well.


    In stead of having that freaky commercial that first came out, they in effect should have tried to sell coal to the coal man.

    That would have been selling "having your cake and eating it too"!
    You can't exactly make those sort of claims "with thousands more on the way" because Palm has no control over the market, unless they're personally pushing "thousands" of new apps.
  12. #32  
    my personal opinion is, that most of the big time app makers are in bed with apple, and would like nothing more, than palm going out of business.... now that hp is on board we should see more devs writing for webos... and if i was smart enough, i would be one of them... there is going to be lots of money to be made soon
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    my personal opinion is, that most of the big time app makers are in bed with apple, and would like nothing more, than palm going out of business.... now that hp is on board we should see more devs writing for webos... and if i was smart enough, i would be one of them... there is going to be lots of money to be made soon
    Sadly, developers aren't going to make the move until WebOS starts to consume more of the market share. You may see more applications from big corporations that have the resources, but independent developers are going to remain where the market lies.

    They're just NOW slowly beginning to make their way to Android. Android is still lacking in a lot of areas in regards to app selection / quality.

    Hell, the iPad on average is adding around 200 apps a DAY.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You can't exactly make those sort of claims "with thousands more on the way" because Palm has no control over the market, unless they're personally pushing "thousands" of new apps.
    HI,

    OK my hyperbole got in the way, lets make it "with many more on the way"! LOL, ahhaha,

    take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  15. #35  
    Does anyone even check the app catalog anymore? The Beta feed has more intereting apps and some of my most used apps are homebrew...pathetic
  16. #36  
    I think most of you guys have the right attuide but arnt thinking realistily. Palm is not gonna come close to android in this year not even nxt year. Google also has a very strong following they taken apples spot with sales and not slowing down anytime soon, android isent gonna die in 2012 and not that many more people are gonna develop for webos just cause hp is in the picture. Android has thousands of apps added every month they have the fastest growing app market in march alone they had 9000+ added....but keep thinking positive :-) (ps. I have a pre and am a die hard palm fan so don't flame me I'm only 16 lol)
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    I think most of you guys have the right attuide but arnt thinking realistily. Palm is not gonna come close to android in this year not even nxt year. Google also has a very strong following they taken apples spot with sales and not slowing down anytime soon, android isent gonna die in 2012 and not that many more people are gonna develop for webos just cause hp is in the picture. Android has thousands of apps added every month they have the fastest growing app market in march alone they had 9000+ added....but keep thinking positive :-) (ps. I have a pre and am a die hard palm fan so don't flame me I'm only 16 lol)
    Rome wasn't built overnight, but now that Palm is not closing and webOS has a firm footing, behind HP/Palm, there soon will be many more apps. Maybe not as fast as I like, but it will happen.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Rome wasn't built overnight, but now that Palm is not closing and webOS has a firm footing, behind HP/Palm, there soon will be many more apps. Maybe not as fast as I like, but it will happen.
    thats what i mean people think its gonna happen in months its gonna take us years to catch up gain some share
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Does anyone even check the app catalog anymore? The Beta feed has more intereting apps and some of my most used apps are homebrew...pathetic
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Does anyone even check the app catalog anymore? The Beta feed has more intereting apps and some of my most used apps are homebrew...pathetic
    Hi, so sorry, not me. I only check to totals. I still have my Centro and cannot get a Pre or what ever the next one is called when my 2 year contract ends mid Oct! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions