Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just so I'm clear...I read in the owners manuals that I can migrate my data out of Palm Desktop, but when it talks about syncing with my desktop, it says I need a 3rd party app.

So, can I can I continue to sync with Palm Desktop, or will that option be discontinued?
    Check out CompanionLink for third party solution.
    traditional sync happens via third party software now. I use pocket mirror, use echo for palm desktop, or companion link.
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    The Palm WebOS operating system no longer syncs with Palm Desktop, instead syncing to "cloud" services such as Google, Yahoo, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. in addition to Palm's cloud based backup service. In order to sync to a local desktop you will need a third party solution.
    Palm Desktop had been discontinued as a database manager for the Palm Pre & Pixi. The new WebOS uses the 'cloud' to sync all of your accounts and data with your device. You can easily migrate your data from the Palm Desktop into either your Palm account, or a gmail account.

As a Treo user of many years, I wasn't happy at first with this and was going to use a 3rd party program to get this function back. But after using WebOS without the Palm Desktop, I've gotten pretty used to not needing that desktop application. An time I make a change in any of my Exchange, gmail, or other email accounts, that info is automatically synced with my Pre without having to resort to using a desktop app. As mentioned above, if you do not want to give up using that program, there are a couple of 3rd party apps that allow the Pre/Pixi to sync with it.
    I personally won't synch with the cloud because my contacts etc are highly confidential. Not everyone agrees with me, natch. I didn't like having to pay for sync software, but I had purchased pocket mirror once for palm anyway.

the palm catalog fiasco yesterday is what will happen to my inf if the cloud has a problem - and google calendar had a similar outage last week. My recommendation is to bite the bullet and get one of the third party apps. What desktop pim do you want to sync with?
    Chapura's Echo also does a good job of syncing with Palm Desktop, via a shared WiFi connection. {Jonathan}
    Yes, the 'cloud' concept makes people a bit nervous, but IMO isn't that bad. If you are using an Exchange server, you can simply set email, calendar, contacts to sync with that and not use the cloud for your more 'confidential' info. Our company (very large, and with extremely confidential info) has moved all email and info into the cloud corporate wide as of last week. Instead of using EAS, we switched to Googles corporate email service, so for me, the point is pretty mute. When syncing data, you do have the ability to choose to sync contact data with either the cloud (Palm profile) or another point (such as EAS).

The Palm catalog fiasco (as you put it) yesterday had absolutely nothing to do with contact/email info. It was simply an outdated certificate within the catalog affecting purchased applications (nothing to do with anything else).

My company data is financial, and other proprietary info... and I'm very secure with how I am syncing this data (only personal contact info goes to the cloud, all business info goes syncs with our company's system).

But... definitely go with whatever makes you feel secure...
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Check out CompanionLink for third party solution.
    CompanionLink works for me, as well. You end up with a 3-way sync. You set your Pre to sync with Google and then CompanionLink syncs your Palm Desktop to Google.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks folks. I guess I just lament the fact that there isn't the option anymore. I spend the majority of my workday at my computer, with palm desktop open. It is much easier to punch in new contacts and appointments on the desktop, as opposed to pulling out the phone and punching things in on it. Not a slam against the little buttons, just saying using a keyboard and a mouse is easier.

Additionally, I am trying to figure out a way to pass my treo on to my wife and upgrade to a Pre, and keep the ability of being able to see each other calendars. Palm Desktop was good at that, and Google Calendar has promise, but treo can't sync with Google Calendar and Pre can't sync with Palm Desktop.

Yes, I could buy 3rd party software, or could upgrade my wife to a Pixi, but I'm trying to save money, just like everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Additionally, I am trying to figure out a way to pass my treo on to my wife and upgrade to a Pre, and keep the ability of being able to see each other calendars. Palm Desktop was good at that, and Google Calendar has promise, but treo can't sync with Google Calendar and Pre can't sync with Palm Desktop.

Yes, I could buy 3rd party software, or could upgrade my wife to a Pixi, but I'm trying to save money, just like everyone else.
    is it possible to upload your callender file from palm desktop to google calendar then sync your pre to google calendar?
    Thanks folks. I guess I just lament the fact that there isn't the option anymore. I spend the majority of my workday at my computer, with palm desktop open. It is much easier to punch in new contacts and appointments on the desktop, as opposed to pulling out the phone and punching things in on it. Not a slam against the little buttons, just saying using a keyboard and a mouse is easier.

Well, if you really want to sync with Palm Desktop, you can using Echo. It's full two way sync. And if you can also get your wife's Centro to sync to the same Palm Desktop profile, then that should work. Yes, you'll have to pay a little extra, but hey, back in the day I paid a good penny to sync up Outlook to my Centro, so I have some sympathy, but...

And here's something you really don't want to hear, but I'm gonna say it anyway... just switch to Google. It really does work soooooo well with WebOS. Yes it is risky to have your info in the cloud, it's true (it's not FUD at all), yes you should be concerned about who has access to your information, it's true. If you work in the military, if your a spy, if your the president forget it. But if your contacts and calendar have lower privacy needs, then EMBRACE THE CLOUD!

I was like you. I was doubtful, fearful, but guess what a) your data is still at risk of disapearing on your own desktop. And if you don't properly backup your PIM data, it's gone forever baby. I have learned the hard way that disk drives fail. Twice!

b) You can update your PIM from any computer anywhere in the world. I remember not being able to update my Palm Desktop calendar on my desktop AND laptop. If I tried to sync both with my centro, I couldn't. That was a pain. Now I can't go back to Palm Desktop. If I'm in the living room on my laptop and my wife wants to take a look at my calendar, she can. If I'm on the road, and I add in an appointment and she's at the desktop she gets the change practically in real time.

My only wish is that Palm had their own cloud solution, but I know that they just don't have the resources. (Maybe HP will get the message?)

Oh, and what about updating your wife's Centro. Good question. Maybe it's time for someone you love to get a Pixi?

BTW, all of the 3rd party options have a free trial, so you can load your phones and try it to see if it's worth it to you. ALso check out COmpanionlink. It syncs via usb cable, but it supports the PalmDesktop client.

I agree its expensive, but use the free trial. I decided it was worth the money (I use pocket mirror) to do things the way I want to. If I had wanted to be married to gmail, I would have a motodroid. I want the choice, and I would have stayed on my centro had not te PalmOS vendors ported their apps to webOS,

I embrace the cloud for many things, but my business contacts and exchange/outlook info isn't part of that. THe cloud is fine for syncing facebook and twitter, but not corporate data.

IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    CompanionLink works for me, as well. You end up with a 3-way sync. You set your Pre to sync with Google and then CompanionLink syncs your Palm Desktop to Google.
    If you have companionlink, why are you bother with google? You can just go between companionlink and your pc. Not saying what you are doing is bad, just wondering why you are putting google in the middle...
  15.    #15  
    Yeah, I have no problem with the cloud. The problem is that I was hoping to pass off my treo to my wife, possibly without a data plan, and somehow sync her calendar with mine. Going from a treo with data and a dumbphone to two palms w/data is a big jump for us financially.

Maybe I should adopt (what I assume is) Cantaffordit's philosophy and just accept/admit it and pay for it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If you have companionlink, why are you bother with google? You can just go between companionlink and your pc. Not saying what you are doing is bad, just wondering why you are putting google in the middle...
    I may be mistaken, but I thought that the only way to use CompanionLink directly was through a wired (USB) link. By doing the 3-way sync, I have a wireless connection that I don't have to think about.
    I may be mistaken, but I thought that the only way to use CompanionLink directly was through a wired (USB) link. By doing the 3-way sync, I have a wireless connection that I don't have to think about.
    Ah, I missed that you wanted wireless sync. You are correct, direct is only through USB.

That' swhy I use Pocket Mirror - WiFi or Bluetooth. However, it doesn't do Palm Desktop, only Outlook. If I was using Palm Desktop, I'd be looking at Echo for PC.
    Yeah, I have no problem with the cloud. The problem is that I was hoping to pass off my treo to my wife, possibly without a data plan, and somehow sync her calendar with mine. Going from a treo with data and a dumbphone to two palms w/data is a big jump for us financially.

Maybe I should adopt (what I assume is) Cantaffordit's philosophy and just accept/admit it and pay for it anyway.
    Once ou are synching your Pre to the desktop, she can also sync the centro to it using the palm hotsync... WHen I first got my Pre, I was doing that with my centro as a backup until I was sure I understood how synch was working through pocket mirror. Nothing to stop you from synching the centro to the same data source as the pre. actually pretty clever.

That would allow you to give your Centro to your wife and avoid the data plan. One month and you've paid for your 3rd party app!
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/16/2010 at 10:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Ah, I missed that you wanted wireless sync. You are correct, direct is only through USB.

That' swhy I use Pocket Mirror - WiFi or Bluetooth. However, it doesn't do Palm Desktop, only Outlook. If I was using Palm Desktop, I'd be looking at Echo for PC.
    I used the trial version of Echo when it first came out and I don't remember at this point why I didn't like it as well as CompanionLink. I've been using Palm Desktop for more than 10 years and like it more than Outlook. Old dog, new tricks.
    I used the trial version of Echo when it first came out and I don't remember at this point why I didn't like it as well as CompanionLink. I've been using Palm Desktop for more than 10 years and like it more than Outlook. Old dog, new tricks.
    I agree. Palm Desktop was actually a top-flight PIM in it's own right. I finally moved to Outhllok because my company required it. Otherwise... I would still be using it.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast