Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    cool. You will enjoy using data over wifi.
    downloading apps from the catalog, getting preware to overclock. Email. Web browsing. Try that stuff, it's addicting, and you can do it over wifi for free.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    but, NEVER put them in your palm profile because you can't get to them from a PC.
    NEVER put what in my palm profile?
    never put contacts, memos, tasks, or appointments in your profile.

if you get companionlink, it won't be a problem. Did you read rhe thread I posted above? Good info in there. I've been carrying a palm pda since my palm pro in the nineties, so I feel ya.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    just now getting that you mean don't put contacts, memos, tasks, or appointments in your profile in the online palm profile... i haven't... don't intend to do so...been planning on erasing the online profile once i get things set up... if at all possible...

i was elated to get Echo almost installed... but at the last step it couldn't find (and my palm desktop install doesn't include) palm desktop by acess.msi ... so the link to synch wouldn't install...

ptooie... so close...
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Chapura's Echo also does a good job of syncing with Palm Desktop, via a shared WiFi connection. {Jonathan}
    i know this is an old post, but wanted to know if you had any trouble with the Echo install? i got >this< close to getting the synch... but the sync manager was in need of a palm desktop by ACCESS.msi file that doesn't exist on my PD install...

wondered if you like Echo? or if you've tried any of the other pre 2 palm desktop sync programs...

i'm new to Pre... less than a week... may revert to my Centro... shortly...
    Last edited by gilcarvr; 12/01/2010 at 06:35 PM.
    I recommend that you move your stuff to outlook. At that point you have many more choices.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I recommend that you move your stuff to outlook. At that point you have many more choices.
    no thank you... never had any ms e'mail products on any of my computers...

i'm quickly coming to the conclusion its now time mourn the passing of Palm Desktop...
    you don't have to use outlook, just get it into that format because that makes it easy ti import into other apps. Not much works with palm desktop files.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilcarvr View Post
    i know this is an old post, but wanted to know if you had any trouble with the Echo install? i got >this< close to getting the synch... but the sync manager was in need of a palm desktop by ACCESS.msi file that doesn't exist on my PD install...

wondered if you like Echo? or if you've tried any of the other pre 2 palm desktop sync programs...

i'm new to Pre... less than a week... may revert to my Centro... shortly...
    I use Echo. I have ever since I got my Pre Plus last spring. I have experienced a couple of gliches over the months of use, but overall it works well ... for me.
    Nicky
    i've never needed the data plan... no interest... all i need and/or want is a pim/phone nothing more... used my centro and the treo before that in the same manner...
    I will tell you honestly, if I felt the way you do in this situation and knowing what I know, I would return the Pre and start using my Centrol (or Treo, whichever it was) again.

The Pre is designed to work with the internet. Yes, for those that are paranoid about data being stored on the internet, there are ways to avoid PIM information in the cloud; however, if the interest is solely in local storage, and none of the other features provided by a data connection, you'd be better off with the Centro. You'd have what you're familiar with, without the need to learn something new.

By getting the Pre, you're getting none of the advantages of the Pre, and all of the disadvantages.
    just now getting that you mean don't put contacts, memos, tasks, or appointments in your profile in the online palm profile... i haven't... don't intend to do so...been planning on erasing the online profile once i get things set up... if at all possible...

i was elated to get Echo almost installed... but at the last step it couldn't find (and my palm desktop install doesn't include) palm desktop by acess.msi ... so the link to synch wouldn't install...

ptooie... so close...
    I may have that somewhere, let me check some old stuff tonight.
    @gilcarvr - I've checked into this a little further, and have a suggestion. I may be wrong, but it's my suggestion anyway. It's free, so you're not out any money reading

Here's what I think has happened. Over the years, you've updated the Palm desktop from time to time, and the Windows installation "record keeping" is looking for a resource you no longer have. I'd recommend you make a copy of your Palm data files (just in case), then uninstall Palm Desktop. Microsoft once had a tool that allowed you to force uninstallation of old programs, but they removed it because some folks were damaging their systems. If you use the tool correctly, it won't damage your system (I've used it hundreds of times on users computers). You can download the tool here:
    |MG| Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2 Download

Use that to completely remove Palm desktop. Then reisntall the Palm desktop. I believe you'll then be able to properly install Echo.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Thank you very much hparsons,

I appreciate your digging... I was very close to returning the Pre... but after days of grousing and casting about and mucking up my laptop which I can't afford to repair or replace... I think I'm gonna move on...

I've always been a bit of a computer pack-rat... I once had all of my e'mail correspondence going back to when I first went online in 1994... I've also been personally dismissive of older friends and relatives who refuse to budge from the dark ages of answering machines and aol.com e'mail addresses...

I suddenly realized I was now becoming a curmudgeon... you cloud kiddies can get offa my lawn right now...

So... I'm gonna take a page from my youngest niece who's never had an e'mail address... and never enters anyone's real name in her cell phone... I have nick names for all the folks I now call anyway... or NEway (as she keeps typing and I finally cyphered out)

so I'll synch 'tacts w/the cloud... in a way that will make no sense to data miners...

and keep my centro and palmdesktop fully charged as backup for the days i need real names and addresses...

Hey YOU get offa my cloud...

gilcarvr
    --
    Palm IV > Palm Treo 600 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre Plus
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Solved...

set up my local isp mail on my Pre

emailed my Palm Desktop .vcf contact list to my phone...

Pre instantly imported...

now synching entire usb drive with a folder on my computer via Microsoft SyncToy...

voila... no cloud... no google... no hotmail

very happy camper...
    Palm IV > Palm Treo 600 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre Plus > Nokia Lumia 920
    ok,so remind me how to sync to google. I have hit sync on my contacts and calendar but...what else is there. I dont remember and have done it once, can someone email me with directioins please

tacktoday@gmail.com
    sue
    Sue
    Love my Pre plus - HATE the lack of a desktop PIM!

What it does it does pretty well - Kinda slow though.
    The pre is a great internet tool but not the business tool my Sony Clie was.

I used Palm desktop for all my business related work - even did my monthly billing from the calendar printout! - it was easily the most used software on my computer.

Does HP/Palm REALLY expect me to enter everything on that little keyboard?
    I live in a "fringe" area and frequently have no service at all and I've seen the 3G light up only once! - Syncing via the "cloud" is hit or miss

I've tried 3 3rd party solutions - none worked for me - a combination of them finally transferred all my data to the pre (via Google) but all the times on calendar appointments were wrong.
    Others seem to have had better results but for me the 3rd party solutions are useless for daily sync-ing
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456