Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Does it still have alarm notifications? For example, if I enter in an appointment, and want it to notify my 30 minutes beforehand, will it alarm/vibrate? What about if I enter that in on the desktop (google calendar online)? That is probably the most important feature on my palm calendar.

I am like you, the majority (90%) of my data entry is at the desktop. Not having the search feature would be somewhat agrivating, but I have only needed that once or twice a year.
    Yes, events entered on the Pre have an alarm setting. Those entered in Google have both an email and an alarm reminder. If you use the Google method, you get the email the obvious way, and the reminder works as an alarm on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    But here's another question, hahah.

When you enter an event in Google, and that syncs to your Pre, does the Pre assign the default notification settings, or the settings you put into the event at Google? In other words, if your default in Pre is 15 minutes, but you enter 24 hours into google, does the 24hr setting transfer to the Pre, or does it just use the default?
    To expand on the answer previously, it uses the settings you put into Google.

Looking at the code for the app, the device will acutally accept virtually any setting (which is why the patches work); it's only the presentation of choices in the app that restrict what you can choose.

Did that make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    i assumed you would add it in to Palm Desktop (outlook?) and let the sync process put it in google... since you guys are already using palm desktop.
    Actually, having the Google desktop gives more options than Outlook, unless Outlook is connected to an Exchange system.

Plus, the Google Desktop "feels" very much like an app. It's really a stripped down "dedicated" Chrome browser, but a person using it likely wouldn't notice (see my previous screenshot of the app).
    Yes I did. I found it ... interesting.
    I nominated you
    I nominated you
    Which is an amazing irony. Nothing you did wrong, and nothing I'm going to share on here (at least at this point), but simply amazing.
    I just think you have been a great help tl this OP. Especially re: gmail since my opposition the gmail s legendary...
  8.    #88  
    It's me again. Popping back in here. I have been over on the Android Central website, just learning some stuff over there. Still not ready to make a decision. I know, I know, it's a curse.

Anyway, just found out that yahoo has a sync option that it says will sync yahoo calendar with palm desktop. I don't use Yahoo calendar, and I left yahoo email a long time ago, but just thought I would throw that out to you guys and "think out loud" about how that might help solve some of these issues.
    For those of us who have rather paranoid firewall security on our work Outlook (just about any large company) the Pre syncing with Outlook or multiple devices can only be done with a 3rd party software from your desktop. My company only allows specific users with BlackBerry's any mobile access. If you want to have any semblance of normal mobility yourself without dealing with a BlackBerry, then 3rd part is the only way I have found to do it. I also like to replicate data for multiple reminders locally at my desktop, and via my phone(s). I tried Classic but was so frustrated with it, I gave up and tried the cloud Google solution and duplicated my entries from the firewalled Outlook. I was so frustrated I was ready to go back to my Treo. I have tried Companion Link with some success. The bottom line is, that the Pre with its cloud structure can not replicate the functionality native to the "ancient" Treo. I seriously lament the loss of Desktop since I went to the Pre Plus on VZW earlier this year. For those of us with anything more then simplistic needs, the cloud is useless at worst, and still under development at best- and all roads lead to 3rd party software you pay dearly for.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickesbueno View Post
    ... For those of us with anything more then simplistic needs, the cloud is useless at worst, and still under development at best- and all roads lead to 3rd party software you pay dearly for.
    I couldn't possibly disagree more. Your problem is that your IT department is restricting one of the access capabilities for which the Pre was designed. For those users that don't have that restriction, the Pre does far more than "simplistic needs".

My wife's Pixi syncs fine with her corporate system. Mine does not, because our system has the same types of corporate restrictions your talking about.

I really don't have a need for my work email to sync, but I do have a need for contacts. Companion Link works very well for me for this, syncing from my corporate account to gmail (a private domain). Also sync my work calendar stuff this way.
    Hello new to this...if I choose to use Exchange for instance and make a change to a calendar event, that will sync to Outlook/Exchange, therefore NO LONGER needing Palm Desktop?

Did I understand the correctly??
    Quote Originally Posted by teeayemcp View Post
    Hello new to this...if I choose to use Exchange for instance and make a change to a calendar event, that will sync to Outlook/Exchange, therefore NO LONGER needing Palm Desktop?

Did I understand the correctly??
    Yes, assuming everything is set up correctly, that's how it works.

Please note, my caveat above isn't a word trap. It's very easy to set up your Pre to work with Exchange, but there are some Exchange systems that don't allow it. Personally, I believe they are fewer than indicated in a previous post. My experience is that most corporate environments enable EAS (Exchange Active Server). If yours does, you should be good to go.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    we installed palm Desktop in 1996 as soon as we bought our first Palm III... i've kept it as my preferred PIM ever since... have never used anything but Palm...

my new Palm Pre arrived and was activated on 11/25... and am just stunned to learn WebOS has severed the link to Palm desktop...

So I have begun studying how to port 14 years of data...

I have never had a data plan... don't want one... all my palm devices have been a phone/addressbook/datebook... nothing more... I intend to remain unhitched from data plans...

hoping someone here is of like mind and will helpfully point me to a way to convert & import Palm Desktop data to the Pre Plus via the USB...

otherwise, will be returning it...
    get companionlink. It will work with palm desktop. Free trial period and then you have to buy it.

where are you located? Hard to use a pre as a phone without a data plan.
    and here is an in-depth explanation on migrating for those of us that don't want to push all our info throug gmail.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...-their-pc.html
    Hi gilcarver, and Welcome to the P|C forums, webOS, and your new addictions!

There are 3rd party solutions like CompainionLink, or Echo from Chapura that allow you to still use your Palm Desktop application as your PIM. Both will give you 2-way sync'ing with the Palm Desktop. Otherwise you can simply use the Palm Data Transfer assistant to import all of your Palm Desktop information into a gmail account (or Palm Profile).

Congrats on the new device!
    but, NEVER put them in your palm profile because you can't get to them from a PC.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    get companionlink. It will work with palm desktop. Free trial period and then you have to buy it.

where are you located? Hard to use a pre as a phone without a data plan.
    i've never needed the data plan... no interest... all i need and/or want is a pim/phone nothing more... used my centro and the treo before that in the same manner...
    who is your carrier? Verizon won't sell voice without data.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    @cantafforit

AT&T honored the "smart phone exclusion" i have had since my first Treo on Verizon ... Palm Pre's are selling so poorly... it wasn't hard to arm wrestle the managers...
    Last edited by gilcarvr; 11/27/2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: clarity
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast