Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 117
  1. #61  
    also, have you shut off your home phone? It's a wireless world!
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Have you considered Sprint? Though you'd be stick with a "lowly" Pre (instead of the Pre Plus), they have free mobile to mobile between them and any other carrier.
    After they bought Nextel, Sprint used to be a major player in our area due to the large blue collar market we have here. However, it doesn't seem like they have invested as much in cell towers as AT&T, and their service is lacking. One of our guys in our office has Sprint, and when he gets a call, he has to get up from his desk and walk outside to keep from getting shotty reception.


    At the risk of scaring you off, make no mistake about it, the Calendar interface on the Pre is very different than the Treo, and in many ways is a step backward. That said, Synergy (in my opinion) more than makes up for the deficiencies..
    Talk more about this, please.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I feel you on cost cutting. You must bbe listening to dave ramsey!.
    Hahah! YES!!!!

    we shut off cable completely. We get OTA channels, most in HD, plus netflix which streams to our tv. Plus hulu.

    total tv cost per month - $9

    where do you live? Have you tried OTA tv now that the signals are digital?
    I live in central KY. Near Lexington. If I could figure out a way to not miss any UK Basketball, I'd be ready to get rid of cable altogether too.

    one thing about the current webOS phones regarding your wife. The keyboards are WAY smaller than the Treo, and the screen doesn't respond to finger nails or a stylus. That's something to get used to...
    Wow, way smaller? The Treo is already pretty small. The wife doesn't have long nails, so that isn't much of an issue. There isn't much data entry on the device, as we are both mainly desktop-heavy users (good old #2 kind of people), but thanks for the heads up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    also, have you shut off your home phone? It's a wireless world!
    We switched to voip a few years ago. It was so nice to tell AT&T I didn't care to do business with them anymore. Now looks like I may be jumping in bed with them again. For business reasons, I still need/want a home phone so I may be reached after hours, and I also want/need my name in the phone book. Yes, I could get my landline number ported to my mobile, and have that listed, but I don't want my mobile number out there.
  3. #63  
    isnt UK basketball broadcast on one of the major networks? ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox? That's a major program, hey should be on broadcasy tv...

    PS, I really like the Pre calendar interface. Look at the screenshots from parsons. I think it's better...
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    isnt UK basketball broadcast on one of the major networks? ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox? That's a major program, hey should be on broadcasy tv...

    PS, I really like the Pre calendar interface. Look at the screenshots from parsons. I think it's better...
    ESPN bought the rights this year. It used to be CBS, but now most of the games are on ESPN.
  5.    #65  
    Oh, and another thing, I need NFL football.
  6. #66  
    Well Whitenack, I have 6 phones on our plan, we have 3 PRE'S and one Treo 755p and 2 dumb phones for our younger children. My wife does not want to give up her Treo 755, she Hot Syncs at least 2 times a day. Each Pre and Pixie have their own g-mail account and I subscribe to each one, my wife computer syncs with her g-mail account. So the end of the day I have 5 different calenders from all of my kids and my wife accounts. It is sometimes overload when we are busy but it has saved us 2 hours every Sunday going over where and when we would pick up a kid.

    I have all my work and my g-mail and yahoo accounts syncing together. My wife gets all the calender info she needs on her Treo except my work calendar. With 4 kids in grade and high school we are everywhere.

    My wife owns her own business and runs it thru her Treo, she is really good with it, but i see her work calendar and everything is color coded by me, when something changes it is easy to see. And it is great when my child adds something in there calendar using the computer or Pre I see the changes in a few minutes with out calling or texting me. If they are really good they go to their g-mail and do invites asking to spend the night over at friends house or asking to go to the movies, and my wife and I both have to accept the invites for them to go.

    I'm on Sprint with 5 Everything Plan and one on its own account.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ome thing about vz. They allowed me to use my centro without a data plan. I bought it with data, when I lost my job I called and they turned it off. There is a setting in myverizon to block data so I didn't accidentally run up a huge bill.
    Just posting to confirm that this is true. I currently pay for 3 Treo 755p's with Verizon without data plans--just phone plans. Just as the poster does, I too have the internet blocked on all three phones just so web charges cannot accidently be activated. We use other smartphones for web access.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Oh, and another thing, I need NFL football.
    well, start delivering pizzas... And eat more beans&rice!!!

    or spend the weekends with a neighbor that has cable...

    Of course I'm kidding. But, for us the OTA+Netflix route is perfect. Both look outstanding on a 40" HDTV.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/19/2010 at 10:11 AM.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    Well Whitenack, I have 6 phones on our plan, we have 3 PRE'S and one Treo 755p and 2 dumb phones for our younger children. My wife does not want to give up her Treo 755, she Hot Syncs at least 2 times a day. Each Pre and Pixie have their own g-mail account and I subscribe to each one, my wife computer syncs with her g-mail account. So the end of the day I have 5 different calenders from all of my kids and my wife accounts. It is sometimes overload when we are busy but it has saved us 2 hours every Sunday going over where and when we would pick up a kid.
    ...

    I have all my work and my g-mail and yahoo accounts syncing together. My wife gets all the calender info she needs on her Treo except my work calendar. With 4 kids in grade and high school we are everywhere.

    ....

    I'm on Sprint with 5 Everything Plan and one on its own account.
    This requires a dedicated thread. I don't know whether to be envious of your organization skills, or whacked out that you are the family that causes my kids to come home and tell me I am the only one that doesn't give a cell phone to each child upon entering elementary school...

    Obviously you are the poster family for every tech-related commercial we see on TV (Sprint, Clear, iPhone, etc etc). I never thought there was actually a family that DOES all the stuff as we see it portrayed in a 30 second spot. holy cow, have they been filming you all this time?

    I got tired just reading that, thinking of how hard it is to keep my own calendar up to date... You guys deserve some sort of award, or maybe an intervention - I can't decide which!

  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    well, start delivering pizzas... And eat more beans&rice!!!

    or spend the weekends with a neighbor that has cable...

    Of course I'm kidding. But, for us the OTA+Netflix route is perfect. Both look outstanding on a 40" HDTV.
    Haha, yep. Beans and Rice... We have switched all our grocery shopping to generic brand. Cut our grocery bill in half. Getting ready to pull the trigger on stepping down to basic cable, and lining up my friends/family for times when UK plays on extended cable.

    I wish OTA was an option in my area. I checked things out online and I only have 2 channels within range. The joys of rural living.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    At the risk of scaring you off, make no mistake about it, the Calendar interface on the Pre is very different than the Treo, and in many ways is a step backward. That said, Synergy (in my opinion) more than makes up for the deficiencies..
    Talk more about this, please.
    ...
    Sorry, I missed this earlier.

    The forum has had a lot of complaints about the lack of features and functionality of the Calendar program. There were many things I didn't use on my Treo, so I'm sure I'm going to miss a lot here, but these are a few things that come to mind:

    • The WebOS App does not show tasks on the calendar.
    • It doesn't allow you to invite others
    • There are no icons for easy category/calendar indentification on the WebOS App
    • The PalmOS app had a lot more information compacted together
    • No color in the month view
    • "Date Picking" is clumsier using the spin wheel in WebOS instead of the calendar picker in PalmOS
    • Scrolling through dates on the WebOS App is slower than it was on the PalmOS App
    • No search capability on the WebOS App


    These are just a few that come to mind. I've frustrated a number of users in my "defense" of the WebOS calendar. I don't apologize for saying that it suits me very well, and I have no real issues with it.

    That said, edfehrman pointed out earlier that the level of frustration with the PIM fucntionality of the Pre is probably related to how we previously used our Treos (for those of us that did).

    Most of my calendar entries are done at the desktop. A few are done on the phone, but even those are typically "cleaned up" more when I set down at the desk. The phone is not my "primary calender planner", the desktop is.

    The Pre's "gathering" of information works very well for folks that use the calendar, Pre, and desktop in this manner.

    I probably should note, even back in my paper Daytimer days, this is the way I used that "device". I entered data into my PIM on my computer, printed out my pages, and added notes as needed. Then I cleaned up the data on the computer.

    In short, I was "manually syncing" my paper planner. Then I graduated to doing a manual eletronic sync. Now it's all automated. Folks looking at it from that viewpoint should be able to see why the "#3 group" is happy with the Pre.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, I missed this earlier.

    The forum has had a lot of complaints about the lack of features and functionality of the Calendar program. There were many things I didn't use on my Treo, so I'm sure I'm going to miss a lot here, but these are a few things that come to mind:
    ....
    Does it still have alarm notifications? For example, if I enter in an appointment, and want it to notify my 30 minutes beforehand, will it alarm/vibrate? What about if I enter that in on the desktop (google calendar online)? That is probably the most important feature on my palm calendar.

    I am like you, the majority (90%) of my data entry is at the desktop. Not having the search feature would be somewhat agrivating, but I have only needed that once or twice a year.
  13. #73  
    yes, it has alarms. There is even a patch or two to expand choices for alarm time before event, snooze time, etc.

    since you (like me) do most of your data entry on your pc, you will probably be happy with the pre calendar
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    yes, it has alarms. There is even a patch or two to expand choices for alarm time before event, snooze time, etc.

    since you (like me) do most of your data entry on your pc, you will probably be happy with the pre calendar
    Yeah, sounds like I would want that patch? What are the stock options? I know that Google Calendar allows you to pick how much time out in advance of the event you want the notification.
  15. #75  
    I think the pre is hardcoded at 30 minutes. Camt remember. In. Addition to the patch that adds choices, there is another that makes the notification persistent so it will keep reminding. I have over 50 patches. So will you!
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think the pre is hardcoded at 30 minutes. Camt remember. In. Addition to the patch that adds choices, there is another that makes the notification persistent so it will keep reminding. I have over 50 patches. So will you!
    OK, I just read the manual online. Looks like the default is 15 and you can adjust that. Guess I should have checked the manual before I asked.
  17.    #77  
    But here's another question, hahah.

    When you enter an event in Google, and that syncs to your Pre, does the Pre assign the default notification settings, or the settings you put into the event at Google? In other words, if your default in Pre is 15 minutes, but you enter 24 hours into google, does the 24hr setting transfer to the Pre, or does it just use the default?
  18. #78  
    I have never used google calendar so I will wait for hparsons. I am legendary for my dislike of google. If I had to guess I would say yes, but it's just a guess.

    but why would you put it in google if you have your pc and your desktop?
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    but why would you put it in google if you have your pc and your desktop?
    I don't understand your question. I want it in google so it will sync to my Pre. I am entering it into google calendar on my desktop.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    I don't understand your question. I want it in google so it will sync to my Pre. I am entering it into google calendar on my desktop.
    i assumed you would add it in to Palm Desktop (outlook?) and let the sync process put it in google... since you guys are already using palm desktop.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/19/2010 at 05:28 PM.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions