Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 117
  1. #21  
    Can you use goosync to sync the centro to Google? Haven't tried it yet, but it comes with Classic.

    Speaking of Classic, you can use that to keep your wife's centro calendar and yours in sync.

    And to the person who said they paid to sync their Centro to Outlook, isn't that free, part of the Palm PIM? I used to use my Palm to transfer contacts and data between my laptops.

    I love the cloud, but the old way had alot of advantages.
  2.    #22  
    Ok, let me run this thought by you guys...

    I don't really care as much about my contacts being synced with my wife. There may be times when I have a contact that she needs, but rarely. The majority of my needs is sharing the calendar.

    Can't I just switch to using Outlook as my desktop manager for the Treo, then download the Google/Outlook Calendar sync program? The Treo syncs with Outlook, who then syncs up to Google, which then syncs down to the Pre. All for free.

    Anything I am missing?
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    b) You can update your PIM from any computer anywhere in the world.
    I think this is the kind of information that frustrates new users. They hear people tell them that they can sync their full PIM to the cloud, then they get a Pre/Pixi and it doesn't do that, then they get frustrated.

    The truth is that a stock Pre/Pixi does NOT sync your full PIM to the cloud ("full" PIM being Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, & Memos). What it DOES do is sync your Calendar and Contacts to the cloud so that you can edit those 2 components from anywhere in the world.

    If you primarily care about Calendar and Contact information then you may be very happy with the cloud solution. If you are a heavy Tasks and Memo user and you want to access Tasks and Memos on the desktop then you will likely be very disappointed with the cloud solution.

    Eric
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I thought that the only way to use CompanionLink directly was through a wired (USB) link. By doing the 3-way sync, I have a wireless connection that I don't have to think about.
    Actually, Companionlink has a sync to Google option. I have GroupWise sync to Google (using Companion Link), which then syncs to my Pre, all wirelessly.

    I can remember all of the gyrations I went through trying to "lose the wire" on my Treos (I can't count the number of times I've had IR driver issues). I'm so glad to see a solution that finally works, and syncs with no wire.

    Though the solution for the Treo that I finally got to work for me didn't cost me money, it wasn't a solution from Palm. It was a solution from Novell (that they purchased for Intellisync/Nokia).

    Bottom line in all of this, a company has to decide a direction that it's going to go. It can't be all things to all people for free out of the box. Those that want the system to do something different simply have to pay for it, or search for "free" systems (that may, or may not work).
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Thanks folks. I guess I just lament the fact that there isn't the option anymore. I spend the majority of my workday at my computer, with palm desktop open. It is much easier to punch in new contacts and appointments on the desktop, as opposed to pulling out the phone and punching things in on it.
    Exactly, this is the distinction that we often fail to make.

    Some are really happy with "The Cloud" and some really miss the Palm Desktop and each of us doesn't understand why the other person doesn't "get it".

    The TRUTH is that there are two, very different kinds of "former Palm Desktop users". You have to determine which one are you, and then which one is the person that wants to give you advice, and then decide which will work best for you.

    PERSON #1
    One kind of Person used the Palm Desktop as primarily a "backup solution". They may have entered data on the desktop and they view some data there but would not consider the Desktop as "mission critical". Maybe they are on the road alot, maybe they just prefer entering data on their phone, but they see the handheld device and "primary" and the Desktop as "secondary" or maybe barely important at all. This user is also "primarily" a Calendar and Contacts user. They don't use Tasks and Memos much and if they do they are content to have handheld-only versions of their tasks and memos and don't need desktop access to them.

    If you are "Person 1" then you will very likely be extremely happy with the Cloud solution and see it as a big step forward in syncing and as a simpler solution.

    PERSON #2
    There is a second kind of Person that sits at a desk a lot and they use the Palm Desktop as their primary means of entering and accessing data. They enter a lot of data and its faster and easier to do that with a full size keyboard. They need this data on their Palm too but probably the bulk of the data gets ENTERED on the Desktop side. These users in addition to making heavy use of the Calendar and Contacts, also use Palm Tasks and Memos to sort their todos and take notes and keep reference materials. They may enter Tasks and Memos on their Desktop but they need that data to show up on their Palm TOO and be ale to edit it on the Palm side as well.

    If you are "Person 2" then you will very likely be extremely disappointed with the Cloud solution and see it as a big step backward in syncing and wonder why Palm abandoned the simpler Desktop solution.


    As you probably guessed I am a "Person 2" so I purchased CompanionLionks USB sync for WebOS and I have been pretty happy. I wish the ToDo and Memo apps were a little more robust but it works for me whereas the Cloud solution was unworkable as it ignored HALF of the PIM functions I need.

    If you are a "Person 1" then give the Cloud a try and I suspect you will be delighted.

    If you are a "Person 2" then save yourself the headache, the Cloud will only frustrate you, and buy Companionlink now and you will be much, much happier with your Palm Pre/Pixi.

    just my 2 cents.
    Eric
    Last edited by edfehrman; 05/17/2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling...
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Ok, let me run this thought by you guys...

    I don't really care as much about my contacts being synced with my wife. There may be times when I have a contact that she needs, but rarely. The majority of my needs is sharing the calendar.

    Can't I just switch to using Outlook as my desktop manager for the Treo, then download the Google/Outlook Calendar sync program? The Treo syncs with Outlook, who then syncs up to Google, which then syncs down to the Pre. All for free.

    Anything I am missing?
    That sounds like it would work. I never used Outlook, so I'm not sure of the details, nor have I used the Google to Outlook program. But, sounds like a plan.
  7. #27  
    @hparsons. You are correct that I mixed two issues, because they are both important. I don't trust Google to index my data, and I don't trust them to be available. Yes, the info is on my phone. But if the cloud service goes down, I won't be getting anything new from the exchange server... like new meeting invites. You know, stuff that business users can't live without because a cloud server hiccups. Sorry I confused you. Both security and reliability are major reasons I don't want my life to be tied to Google. Got it?
  8. #28  
    @eric +1

    I am person 2.

    And I ended up using Pocket Mirror because I had been forced to Outlook previously, and because I like the WiFi/BlueTooth sync options... More than I thought I would, actually.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Ok, let me run this thought by you guys...

    I don't really care as much about my contacts being synced with my wife. There may be times when I have a contact that she needs, but rarely. The majority of my needs is sharing the calendar.

    Can't I just switch to using Outlook as my desktop manager for the Treo, then download the Google/Outlook Calendar sync program? The Treo syncs with Outlook, who then syncs up to Google, which then syncs down to the Pre. All for free.

    Anything I am missing?
    I use Outlook but I also use Companionlink. I've never used Google/Outlook sync but it sounds like it would work.

    I use Companionlink because my company doesn't allow us mobile access to our Outlook servers (govt level security). By using Companionlink, at least I can get my calendar updates and my contacts to my Pre (which is what I really needed).

    Outlook on my PC --> Companionlink syncs it --> Google receives it from Companionlink --> Google sends it to my Pre (and vice-versa).

    That's how mine works.

    Your plan sounds like it should work.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 05/17/2010 at 02:53 PM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  10.    #30  
    Yes, Eric! Exactly.

    Persons #1 are phone people. Persons #2 are computer people who also benefit from having their information on their phone.

    Would I be wrong in assuming that Palm rose to power on the #2 folks? Business folks who wanted to carry their desktop info around with them?

    Back to my last post...I have been experimenting with the Outlook/Google sync program and it seems like a pretty good feature. It can only sync your main outlook calendar with your main google calendar, but that might be all I need.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by edfehrman View Post
    ...
    The TRUTH is that there are two, very different kinds of "former Palm Desktop users". You have to determine which one are you, and then which one is the person that wants to give you advice, and then decide which will work best for you.
    ...
    Very well put!! I'm serious, I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right. However, there's a third type of person, somewhat similar to #2.

    Person #3
    The person who is primarily a desktop user, but uses a different PIM besides the Palm PIM - Outlook or GroupWise. The majority of the data was entered in via a desktop app, but was frequently added to or modified from the phone. This user is may also be "primarily" a Calendar and Contacts user. They too don't use tasks and memos much, or if they do are happy with handheld only versions, or versions that have other synchronization capabilities.

    I'm the #3 guy
  12.    #32  
    I have often been compared with #2, but not in the sense we are talking here.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    ...
    Back to my last post...I have been experimenting with the Outlook/Google sync program and it seems like a pretty good feature. It can only sync your main outlook calendar with your main google calendar, but that might be all I need.
    While it does sound like you've got a solution in the works, have you considered getting your wife a Pre or Pixi?

    I don't know who your service provider is, so having you both on a data plan may be way too expensive to make it a consideration. However, if it is, post a thread asking folks who are in a situation where both sides of the couple have Google calendars.

    There's a lot to be said about the way the calendars are handled. I didn't understand it at first either; but once I got used to it, my wife loved it. Ironically, I'm the tech pro in the family, but she seemed to grasp the whole shared and not shared Google Calendars much better than I (I suspect it's because I was still trying to find "categories"...).

    I have three or four work related Google Calendars (depending on how many projects I'm working on), and one main "activities" calendar. Because of recent surgery on my knee, a calendar for that as well. She subscribes to my Activities and my Dr/PhysTherapy calendars, to keep us coordinated in what we're dong (and to remind me to see the dr's). I susbscribe to her Activities and Family calendars, again to keep us coordinated in what we do. Neither of us sees the work calendars (though she only has one).

    Both of us use desktop applications to enter most of the information, and we both see it on our Pre (and Pixi in her case) constantly.

    Since we both have seperate computers (I use about 5 different computers, she uses 2), this type of setup would have been next to impossible with the desktop based calendars.

    Pixi's are going pretty cheap now. Keep that possibility in mind, as you get used to your Pre.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    there's a third type of person, somewhat similar to #2... but uses a different PIM besides the Palm PIM
    If you use a different PIM like Outlook or Groupwise, then you are not a "former Palm Desktop user" in the sense that I was discussing ;-) BUT, I get your point. Thanks!

    I think in the end that we just need to recognize who we are and what we need.

    I suspect some old-time Palm users get ticked because Palm made their name buy catering to #2 people and have now switched strategies to #1 people so we feel somewhat "bait & switched".

    It seems to me that Android and iPhone BOTH already cater to #1 people... If Palm wants to build market share and differentiate their brand from the pack they should cater to BOTH #1 & #2 people. I don't know of any other phone maker that is doing both well.

    just my 2 cents!

    Eric
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    While it does sound like you've got a solution in the works, have you considered getting your wife a Pre or Pixi?

    I don't know who your service provider is, so having you both on a data plan may be way too expensive to make it a consideration. However, if it is, post a thread asking folks who are in a situation where both sides of the couple have Google calendars.
    Yes, I'd love this solution. However, I just can't justify the expense right now. We are thinking about switching from T-Mobile to AT&T, and I assume they are going to require the $30 data plan with the Pixi. That's an extra $360 out the door. Plus, I don't think she would use the Pixi to it's full capability. I think letting her have my Treo would be a stretch. I doubt she would use the email and web at all, so maybe giving her the Treo without data would be a good fit.

    Quote Originally Posted by edfehrman View Post
    I suspect some old-time Palm users get ticked because Palm made their name buy catering to #2 people and have now switched strategies to #1 people so we feel somewhat "bait & switched".

    It seems to me that Android and iPhone BOTH already cater to #1 people... If Palm wants to build market share and differentiate their brand from the pack they should cater to BOTH #1 & #2 people. I don't know of any other phone maker that is doing both well.

    just my 2 cents!

    Eric
    +1. Yeah, I think Palm has to attract the #1 people, but continue to provide the #2 people what you have always done and what brought you to the game in the first place.

    Here's the situation: I came to the Palm Pre because I loved the Palm Pilot and the Treo, and assumed the Pre would be the next generation. However, if the Pre is just Palm's version of the iPhone, maybe I should consider the iPhone as well. I don't mean that as a slam, or to troll, just thinking out loud. Is there a good, objective article that compares the Pre and the iPhone?
  16. #36  
    I got Companionlink today, and everything sync'd up great. I used USB. No Google. No cloud. Just like a hotsync, but I've only used it the one time so far. Try the 14-day free trial.
  17.    #37  
    OK guys. Thanks for your replies, but let's take the fight somewhere else.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Ok, let me run this thought by you guys...

    I don't really care as much about my contacts being synced with my wife. There may be times when I have a contact that she needs, but rarely. The majority of my needs is sharing the calendar.

    Can't I just switch to using Outlook as my desktop manager for the Treo, then download the Google/Outlook Calendar sync program? The Treo syncs with Outlook, who then syncs up to Google, which then syncs down to the Pre. All for free.

    Anything I am missing?
    Somehow this thread got totally hijacked... Let's try responding to the actual question here.

    Help me understand your need a little better. Are you trying to share the same calendar on two phones? If so, where does the information get entered? Do you create new appointments on one or both phones, or on a PC that you want syncing to more than one phone?

    The scenario you described will work, although the answers to your questions my determine if there are any gotchas. For example, you may create some sort of loop that starts duplicating appointments.

    As you know, I am not a fan of syncing to the cloud for my needs but it may be great for you. I would suggest that you break this up into sub-tasks. If you want to switch to Outlook:

    1) the first step is to change the Hotsync settings and then sync your up-to-date Centro with Outlook.

    2) Once you have that working and understand how it resolves conflicts, etc, then you can figure out the part of syncing the same outlook client to google calendar. Spend some time understanding the limitations of google calendar, how it handles all-day events, multi-day events. repeating appointments. All stuff that Outlook does well, but Google may not do well enough - depending on how you use the calendar.

    3) If you are happy and successful at that point, then you can sync your Pre to Google calendar.

    I think this will give you a safe route where you can stop at any time without having messed up your current information. The other thing is that Companionlink has a 14 day trial (as does pocket mirror) so you can always try one of those to see if you like it. I know they eventually want $40, but you will pay that for an extended battery, and you will probably buy $40 of apps from the catalog.

    If it were me, I'd use the Palm Hotsync between the centro and outlook, and either companionlink or pocket mirror between outlook and the Pre. but, that's me. It is more like the old Hotsync model which is comfortable, and it avoids the cloud syncing which I think is still immature and not for me.

    But, if you want to try your suggestion - I'd recommend that you do it by following the steps I've outlined above.

    PM me if you need more help and don't want to sort through all the hijacking...

    Everyone else... can we stay on topic and help the guy? Please? Thanks!
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Somehow this thread got totally hijacked... Let's try responding to the actual question here.

    Help me understand your need a little better. Are you trying to share the same calendar on two phones? If so, where does the information get entered? Do you create new appointments on one or both phones, or on a PC that you want syncing to more than one phone?
    Thanks for this post.

    Here is my situation...
    Currently I am a T-mobile customer with an unlocked AT&T Treo 680. My wife just has a plain old moto razr. Currently, we share one calendar on our home computer, via palm desktop. She makes her entries in pink and I make my entries in Blue. I sync my Treo on this machine as well as my laptop at work.

    Our problems...
    First, T-mobile in our area stinks. There was a sweet spot for about 6 months where AT&T was sharing their towers with TMO, but about a month ago that agreement ended, and I can't get coverage in various places of my hometown, namely my office. Secondly, I want my wife to have a device that has my calendar on it. Currently, she has her own paper calendar book that she carries with her, but she doesn't have my contacts, and she can only see my calendar when she is home because she doesn't transfer Palm Desktop to her paper calendar book.

    What I want...
    To cut as many financial corners as possible. I want a device for my wife that will carry our calendars (either an all-in-one calendar or multiple calendars in one view). I believe, to ensure she uses it, it needs to be integrated with her phone (I tried giving her my old Palm m500 but she could never remember to take it with her or keep it charged). I want that device to somehow be able to communicate with whatever device I have, on a somewhat easy procedure (ie., not a manual beam between the two devices for each change in calendar). I love the idea of a Palm and a Pixi sharing Google Calendars, but I don't think I can afford it.

    What I was thinking...
    I thought we could make the switch to AT&T, I could give her my Treo, I could upgrade to a Pre, if I could somehow figure out how to get them to share information. I guess if I really wanted to go extra cheap, I would keep the treo for myself and just get her another Treo or Centro and just sync to a single Palm Desktop file. However, now that I have seen the yummy goodness that is the Pre, I don't think I can ignore the urges inside of me. That is, unless I can't get it to do what I want.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    At the risk of muddying the waters more, do you already have a Google account, and what does it look like on your Treo if you go to m.google.com?

    What I'm getting at is that your wife may be able to edit the calendar directly on the Google Mobile website.
    I've accessed my Google Calendar on the mobile Google site using my PSP Go, and it's all read-only, no editing...
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions