1.    #1  
    So I got a great deal on a Palm Pre. So I have moved over from the Htc Hero.

Now I have done my searching and it seems like there is no easy way to overclock the Pre. I see people talking about it all over the place but no luck just finding a patch to push over.
    So if there is a easy way (any way) could I get a few links?

Also I am wondering are there Roms like I had on my Hero?
    I would just about test a new rom a week with the Hero but have not looked to much into roms for the Pre yet. I am guessing there must be but not really sure.

And if you to came from a Hero I would like to hear what you think about the change.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Search is your friend

I came from Hero and i like it much better. No Roms for Pre currently
    Very easy to overclock. Install Preware. And from there, install Govnah and UberKernel. Up to 800mhz from 500mhz.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...rclocking.html
    Before you can install the Uber-Kernal, you need to put your device in Developer Mode and install Preware. WebOS doesn't use (or NEED) users to install ROM's like Android devices if they want to change things. Just install and use Preware.

If you haven't already, be sure to read the first post of the following link and follow the two links there for step-by-step directions to install Homebrew apps. And then you can install the Uber-Kernal (OC) to your device.

***!!READ THIS FIRST!!*** Welcome to the Homebrew Apps Section!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks! I guess I am to use to the Hero and kept looking for a ROM to download and install.

But I found it now.

Anything else a new Pre user should know? I know searching would tell me a lot but might save some time if I just had a quick run down.

So far I am liking the Pre, I got it as a backup phone but might stick with it for a little bit.
  6.    #6  
    HelloNNNewman: I have put the phone in to DM, I think the one thing I am not clear on is. Do I have to put in in to DM ever time I reboot my Pre?

I also have Preware installed. I had to use that cuz the market would not work at first for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos67731 View Post
    HelloNNNewman: I have put the phone in to DM, I think the one thing I am not clear on is. Do I have to put in in to DM ever time I reboot my Pre?

I also have Preware installed. I had to use that cuz the market would not work at first for me.
    You only have to put it in Developer Mode when you use WebOS Quick Install (when you plug it in to the computer). You can turn it off after that.
    My phone is still in Developer Mode from when I installed Preware the first time and if you use the QuickInstall utility (which I do for boot screens and tweaks). You can turn it off after if you like as it won't matter then.
    roms = patches.

preware will get you two things you need. The uberkernel, and govnah to control the speed of uberkernel.

once you have preware installed, you will be amazed how much more you can do than with any other phone.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    If you have AT&T or you upgraded to 1.4.2, then you have to wait to get Uber-kernel as it is not in Preware yet.

I dont know when it will be available but I did post in the Uber-Kernel thread. If anyone has any other info let us know.
    If you can handle Roms on Android, you can totally handle Preware. Overclocking is easy as pie.
  12.    #12  
    Guess I should of stated I am on Sprint.

But yeah, Preware was easy to install and get going and getting the overclock was very easy!

I was working on a custom theme for the Hero but am going to see what it takes to make one for the Pre now.

But I think the GPS is not working for me. It feels like I am back with a Centro when I go in to google map. But it could just be a setting I have not found.

"roms = patches" Very good way to put it.

Thanks for the help everyone! Still getting use to WebOS vs Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos67731 View Post
    ...But I think the GPS is not working for me. It feels like I am back with a Centro when I go in to google map. But it could just be a setting I have not found...
    If you are on Sprint, I don't know why GPS wouldn't be working for you. Check your Location Services app. You can have it set to automatically allow programs to access GPS service, or to ask every time. Toggle it and see if you get your location services to work. There shouldn't be an issue on Sprint.