Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got the ATT Pre Plus and I'm aware that mobile hot spot is not included; I'm wondering if there is a way to get mobike hot spot working on the ATT version. I have it working on my Sprint Pre and want to make sure it works on ATT as well. Anyone know if it is possible to install or will it not work?
    Why not give it a whirl? Worst thing is it doesn't work and you just remove the patch and the app.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
  3.    #3  
    will try as soon as I get home. I hope it works. Then both of my Pre's will be superphones lol
    go get mytether.com
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    It seems that Mobile Hotspot does not work for the AT&T phone.

I have been testing it all day. It will connect, and you can connect your wireless to the phone, but it does not seem to access the internet.

I will do more testing tomorrow, but it does not look like it works at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post

I have been testing it all day. It will connect, and you can connect your wireless to the phone, but it does not seem to access the internet.

I will do more testing tomorrow, but it does not look like it works at the moment.
    Are you using MyTether?
    will be watching this thread... Nterested to do this for a friend's att pre
  8.    #8  

+1

I too will try again tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Are you using MyTether?
    I am using mobilehotspot patched ipk .. Does MyTether work better then mobilehotspot?
    I am using mobilehotspot patched ipk .. Does MyTether work better then mobilehotspot?
    Mobile Hotspot is Verizon software. I don't know if it will work or not. MyTether should be a more generic way to do this. There is another one called FreeTether, but I haven't tried that.

In terms of MHS, you'd have to check the MHS thread where they are running it on Sprint, and determine if they think MHS will run on AT&T...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Mobile Hotspot is Verizon software. I don't know if it will work or not. MyTether should be a more generic way to do this. There is another one called FreeTether, but I haven't tried that.

In terms of MHS, you'd have to check the MHS thread where they are running it on Sprint, and determine if they think MHS will run on AT&T...
    Not it's not, it's Palm's. I have it installed on my phone, all credits point to Palm.

If anything O2 is getting it soon I last heard. Just that Verizon now seems to have some kind of exclusivity agreement on it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Going to give MyTether a try, little confused on the round-about install process though. I tried to register for the forums so I could then donate and give my credentials, but it seems that there was a database problem. I can't wait to get Tethering working though, psyched about that "feature" XD
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM that you are describing on your AT&T Pre on my Sprint Pre which I bought a few weeks ago. I installed the mobile hotspot App - it is a "patched" ipk file whose download location is described on this Forum in some excellent threads - and then I tried to run the App. Sure enough, it connected - and it allowed me to make wireless connection with my laptop - but it was totally unable to access any internet or browser sites.

It was highly frustrating and irritating to say the least.

Then I went back a re-read all the MOBILE HOTSPOT INSTALL threads on the Forum - and they make it very clear that you have to install not one but TWO files - first is the patched Mobile Hotspot App - and the other is called something like freetetherD, I can't remember the exact name. It turns out I had only installed one but not the other. So, I went and installed the tethering patch/app/ipk/whatever-it-is (I used Web OS Quick Install - or WOSQI - to install it via a USB connection from my Mac) - then I did a soft restart on the Pre....

And Voila! It WORKED!!!!!

So my suggestion to you is go back and reread the appropriate Mobile Hotspot Installation Thread - and you'll find the name/location of the 2nd file - get it and install it on your Pre. Hopefully that will work for you.....it did with me!

Good luck.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
    I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM that you are describing on your AT&T Pre on my Sprint Pre which I bought a few weeks ago. I installed the mobile hotspot App - it is a "patched" ipk file whose download location is described on this Forum in some excellent threads - and then I tried to run the App. Sure enough, it connected - and it allowed me to make wireless connection with my laptop - but it was totally unable to access any internet or browser sites.

It was highly frustrating and irritating to say the least.

Then I went back a re-read all the MOBILE HOTSPOT INSTALL threads on the Forum - and they make it very clear that you have to install not one but TWO files - first is the patched Mobile Hotspot App - and the other is called something like freetetherD, I can't remember the exact name. It turns out I had only installed one but not the other. So, I went and installed the tethering patch/app/ipk/whatever-it-is (I used Web OS Quick Install - or WOSQI - to install it via a USB connection from my Mac) - then I did a soft restart on the Pre....

And Voila! It WORKED!!!!!

So my suggestion to you is go back and reread the appropriate Mobile Hotspot Installation Thread - and you'll find the name/location of the 2nd file - get it and install it on your Pre. Hopefully that will work for you.....it did with me!

Good luck.

Miguel
    I remember reading about the freetether patch as well, someone on AT&T should try it and report back. It'd be awesome if it works.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whorhay View Post
    I remember reading about the freetether patch as well, someone on AT&T should try it and report back. It'd be awesome if it works.

I have the second file installed.. still no luck

Maybe I will reinstall them, but that will have to wait till tomorrow :/
    Last edited by Vkitty; 05/17/2010 at 01:14 AM.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I have the second file installed.. still no luck

Maybe I will reinstall them, but that will have to wait till tomorrow :/
    I should have mentioned one other thing. When I was doing the install on my Pre, I thought I had actually installed both files....but in reality I'd only installed one (the Mobile Hot Spot patched file) and not the other (the freetetherd file).

Turns out my problem was that when you use WOSQI to do the install, it automatically installs the MobileHotSpot file when you click on it in the drop down menu - but (at least on my computer) installing the other one, the freetetherD file, was a TWO-step process: FIRST I had to select it in the drop down menu....but that didn't actually install it to my Pre: all it did is make the file/name appear in the WOSQI window. Then you have to click on the file - and click the "Install" button. I confess: it was a major Newb Error - but the WOSQI App is kind of complicated actually so I suspect maybe some other people might be making a similar error.

Good luck though.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    maybe some other people might be making a similar error.

I just double checked, and I do in fact have both files installed. Still no luck in getting mobilehotspot to work with AT&T

I do have version 1.4.2 so that is probably the reason it is not working on AT&T and I will need to get the updated version if I can.
    that; or AT&T might actually be blocking the service server-side.
    I just noticed on the att website that it says the pre includes tethering. Has anyone fiued out how that works? I'm assuming it's the oldschool method via usb to a single pc like we did with the treo and centro?

I didn't see this in the precentral review but it's on the att website...
  20.    #20  
    @Vkitty do you know what version of mobile hotspot you have installed? On my sprint pre it's 1.0.14 and it works great. I remember when I set it up I had to update the file. I haven't checked my att pre+ but maybe the verson migt have something to do with it. I'll double check when I get home tonight.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast