1.    #1  
    I have read att review of pre plus. It states about this cpu still being clocked at 500 mhz. I'm sure this isint first thread about this. What is the stock speed of 3430 ti?. Is it underclocked for pre, if so getting 800 kernel really puts it at it's designed speed?
    I think 600 is stock speed, I am not 100% sure though. If I am wrong someone will come and correct me.
    I believe the pre on sprint was originally clocked at 600 mhz but a few processors were from a bad batch and failed so palm clocked it to 500 to stop any from failing. But 800 is definitely in the limits of the processor, some take better to it than others mind.
    there is uerkernel in preware that wilk go to 800 mhz safely, and blow you away with how fast it is...
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    if i remember correctly, the 3430 is designed for up to 600mhz, the 3440 for 600/650, 3445 up to 800 and the 3460 for up to 1.2ghz.. Sth like that. You can find it somewhere at wikipedia.
    the 3430 supports overclocking modes up to 720 mhz, while having a reduced lifespan by 50%. The 800mhz overclocking exceeds the oc modes. Lifespan should be decreased even more at this speed.
  6.    #6  
    have google it .... Got some information which took me back to older precentral blog. It could be pushed to 1ghz. My pre plus is still new, this is my second one. I don't think I would overclock it to 800 but I would like to get it at least to it's designed stock speed, at least for the first year. Then when it's maybe close to end of my contract to try 800. My first pre plus started to overheat just running internet radio to temp of 46. I know it's just comm board but the cpu and battery took a hit. After 2 weeks I still played internet radio, but with the backplate off to min. The damage.
  7.    #7  
    I'm not sure where but there was something about this cpu that's better for graphics then the 1ghz snapdragon?
    From what I've read, the Snapdragon chipset doesn't actually contain a GPU, just hardware-accelerated video decoding.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    the snapdragon chipset includes the same 3d chipset than the pixi (qualcomm adreno 200) which is actually faster and better featured than the pres powervr sgx 530 chip.

@topic:
    720mhz should be fine for most pre's. at this speed the cpu should live for around 4 years of permanent use.
    By the way, I'm pretty sure a webOS-Internals dev has come out to say that Palm's official reason for not clocking the Pre at 600MHz is 3G frequency harmonics; in other words, running at that frequency might result in problems with your phone signal. Would also explain why Moto are underclocking the 3430 in the Droid to 550MHz. Does anybody know what Apple does to the one in the 3GS?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    this doesnt make any sense in my opinion. 3gs is running at 600.
    Maybe it's an issue with EV-DO networks then. Two of the three popular OMAP3430 smartphones run on EV-DO (Pre on VZ and Sprint, Droid on VZ) and both of them are underclocked; the other is on AT&T GSM and runs at stock speed.

I checked, and it was rwhitby that propagated this theory which appears to have been corroborated by Palm engineers. I for my part trust rwhitby and see no reason not to believe him.

On the other hand, GSM is usually 800/1800 and 1800 would seem like it would harmonize with a processor at 600MHz, possibly leading to interference of some sort as well.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    By the way, I'm pretty sure a webOS-Internals dev has come out to say that Palm's official reason for not clocking the Pre at 600MHz is 3G frequency harmonics; in other words, running at that frequency might result in problems with your phone signal. Would also explain why Moto are underclocking the 3430 in the Droid to 550MHz. Does anybody know what Apple does to the one in the 3GS?
    so far I only hear good things about kernel 800 but does anyone know what's the average life span of stock pre plus cpu? Since upgrade is every two years maybe cutting it's life by 50% will still last for 2 years? I'm more into computer hardware, so if it's cpu is temp controlled and not overloaded they easy last 4 or more years. Just don't know how smartphones stand up.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Does anyone know the official proc. Speed of the plus? It's it 600mhz or 500mhz?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I believe the chip is rated at 600MHz, but is clocked to 500MHz to help conserve battery. UberKernel will let you clock it to 1GHz, and I believe that over 99 percent of all Pre Plus phones can be clocked to 1GHz without a problem(except for the battery running out faster of course).

I have a launch-day Palm Pre Plus(AT&T version), and I have been running it at 1.005GHz for months now. It works very well, and the only way I will replace it is if/when HP/Palm releases a new larger version.

Once you get more comfortable with the phone, there are many ways to get more out of your device. With Preware you can get unofficial patches that improve an already great OS, and if you ever get really comfortable, you can move on to the experimental/beta kernels.

Until you are comfortable and ready to run the WebOS Doctor to erase your phone and put it back to factory conditions, you should NOT try the experimental overclocking kernels. The experimental kernels, such as F102, F104, F105, SR71, and AV8B all are tuned for different things, but some may kill your phone(SR71 being the most dangerous in that regard).

Again, since experimental kernels can actually cause physical damage to your phone due to overheating and increasing voltage(for overclocking), only those who can read the warnings and are ready to run WebOS Doctor to revert their devices should try the experimental kernels. With that in mind, if and when you are ready, AV8B does an amazing job, and I find it makes my phone a bit more responsive than F105.