Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Earlier while my Pre was downloading my 30 Palm Catalog apps for the second time after my second random Palm Profile drop it got rather hot (45 deg C) and triggered Jason Robitailles device temperature warning patch. So I opened the slider and blew on the keyboard to help dissapate some of the heat and it dropped to 44C, so then I thought it might cool better if I pull the back cover off. When I did I expected the battery to be hot to the touch.

It wasn't.

The heat was coming from the area below the battery where the diagram is for how to properly install the battery.

I don't know what is under that area but it is where the heat was being generated.
    That is the processor working hard from all that usage.
    Yep I've noticed the same thing too!
    That is most likely the 3G radio. I moved my Touchstone to a vent mount for this reason alone. The Touchstone + 800mhz + Heavy 3G use makes the phone way too hot. But it's no match for the A/C in my car.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  5.    #5  
    I should also point out that since I had just been through two partial erase and profile reloads, I would have been running at the default 500 MHz processor speed.

I just see so much here in the forums about battery temp, that I thought I would point out that the battery isn't the culprit. (based on my anecdotal experience today).
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    That is most likely the 3G radio. I moved my Touchstone to a vent mount for this reason alone. The Touchstone + 800mhz + Heavy 3G use makes the phone way too hot. But it's no match for the A/C in my car.
    Agreed, I mounted my car touchstone to a universal GPS vent mount and the A/C keeps it under 30, just about no matter what I am doing.

At work I have a very small desk fan that I point at my Pre while on the TS with the slider open and again I seldom get over 32 there.

A little air flow really makes all the difference, even at room temperature.
    processors get hot. That is why computer processors require a fan on top of it. Some heavy duty processors require a liquid cooling system.
    Pastorrich, are you using the updated device temp. patch? The old one uses the battery temp sensor, so it is not as useful as the actual cpu temp readout.

What you are feeling is the communication board, not the logic boad that contains your cpu, ram, and memory. Amazingly the logic board is actually under the screen! The mirror on the back doubles as a heatsink for the processor. So now you can see that the temps you were monitoring were kind of irrelevant. I have uberkernel with Govnah installed, and that shows me the actual CPU temperatures
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    That is the processor working hard from all that usage.
    Nope that is the communication board getting hot from all that data being transffered
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Agreed, I mounted my car touchstone to a universal GPS vent mount and the A/C keeps it under 30, just about no matter what I am doing.

At work I have a very small desk fan that I point at my Pre while on the TS with the slider open and again I seldom get over 32 there.

A little air flow really makes all the difference, even at room temperature.
    I just started using this setup a couple days ago and I am surprised how well it works. Like you said a little air flow makes all the difference. I don't even need to run the A/C to cool it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    So the mirror doubles as a heatsink? Interesting.

How does the Govnah temperature detection work? When I open the app, the temperature reading never changes from "..."
    The heat was coming from the area below the battery where the diagram is for how to properly install the battery.

I don't know what is under that area but it is where the heat was being generated.
    That's the comms board. See my Palm Pre disassembly thread for pictures of it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by RaAkhenaton View Post
    So the mirror doubles as a heatsink? Interesting.

How does the Govnah temperature detection work? When I open the app, the temperature reading never changes from "..."
    it will only read the cpu temp if you have the uber kernel installed -- or if there is one out there --some other kernel that has the patch for cpu tem installed - right ron?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_V View Post
    Pastorrich, are you using the updated device temp. patch? The old one uses the battery temp sensor, so it is not as useful as the actual cpu temp readout.

What you are feeling is the communication board, not the logic boad that contains your cpu, ram, and memory. Amazingly the logic board is actually under the screen! The mirror on the back doubles as a heatsink for the processor. So now you can see that the temps you were monitoring were kind of irrelevant. I have uberkernel with Govnah installed, and that shows me the actual CPU temperatures
    which is the updated patch? -- is it available on preware -- i have 1.4.1-1 installed and i am not seeing an update through preware --
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_V View Post

I am actually monitoring battery and processor temps with various apps and patches and yes, they are the most current. I probably run preware more often than most, checking for updates and new apps a couple of times per day at least.

I give Rod's super useful and easy to use utility a real workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    which is the updated patch? -- is it available on preware -- i have 1.4.1-1 installed and i am not seeing an update through preware --
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...arnings-8.html

Read about it here. Jason says it's not in preware, and to get it from post 145
    Earlier while my Pre was downloading my 30 Palm Catalog apps for the second time after my second random Palm Profile drop it got rather hot (45 deg C) and triggered Jason Robitailles device temperature warning patch. So I opened the slider and blew on the keyboard to help dissapate some of the heat and it dropped to 44C, so then I thought it might cool better if I pull the back cover off. When I did I expected the battery to be hot to the touch.

It wasn't.

I think the most important thing to figure out here is why you are getting logged out of your palm profile. This is beyond the norm and shouldn't be happening.

Next time this occurs I would like to get some log files from you and possibly dig into what is causing the random palm profile disconnects.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I think the most important thing to figure out here is why you are getting logged out of your palm profile. This is beyond the norm and shouldn't be happening.

Next time this occurs I would like to get some log files from you and possibly dig into what is causing the random palm profile disconnects.
    I've had this happen exactly once. Unfortunately I was out having dinner at the time and restoring usability to my phone trumped figuring things out. But if I ever have it happen again I'll hopefully be in a position to pull something for you.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post

Yes, it was the most important thing to me. Both times it happened while the app catalog was having its issues and I was in the app catalog attempting to update/download apps.

The first time was after I had tried the "change date" fix to update an app that was failing due to the certificate problem. The app was downloading when the notification came up and said I had been signed out of my Palm Profile and I would need to sign in. The only button available was to restart the phone then of course it came up and asked if I just wanted to restart or totally erase my phone. I chose restart and the next thing you know I am selecting English again.

The second time was while my apps were reloading after the partial erase and I had the app catalog open to monitor the download progress. It did the same thing as above.

Since the certificate problem was fixed I have been good to go with no further errors.
    Agreed, I mounted my car touchstone to a universal GPS vent mount and the A/C keeps it under 30, just about no matter what I am doing
    Have you posted pictures of this setup? I've been wanting to do exactly the same thing. Especially now that stones are so cheap at RatShack.
    Twitter: dullgeek
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast