Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Have you posted pictures of this setup? I've been wanting to do exactly the same thing. Especially now that stones are so cheap at RatShack.
    Not yet. I will try and take some and email them to you (just PM me with your email) so I can send them from my Pre !

    It's really simple, although I did hot glue the TS upside down on the mount to provide an angle that would keep the pre from bein nearly vertical and falling off with every little bounce. It works without a hitch.

    Now all I need is a decent bluetooth receiver to plug into my aux port on my car stereo to be totally wireless in my car.

    EDIT... I used the "Bracketron" universal mount at RatShack, so you could duplicate it exactly if you wanted.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Now all I need is a decent bluetooth receiver to plug into my aux port on my car stereo to be totally wireless in my car.
    I use the Blackberry Audio Gateway. Unfortunately, this is a A2DP device only. And the Pre doesn't seem to be able to bind voice to my car's bluetooth at the same time as binding stereo to the BBAG. So I'm stuck using either one or the other.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yes, it was the most important thing to me. Both times it happened while the app catalog was having its issues and I was in the app catalog attempting to update/download apps.

    The first time was after I had tried the "change date" fix to update an app that was failing due to the certificate problem. The app was downloading when the notification came up and said I had been signed out of my Palm Profile and I would need to sign in. The only button available was to restart the phone then of course it came up and asked if I just wanted to restart or totally erase my phone. I chose restart and the next thing you know I am selecting English again.

    The second time was while my apps were reloading after the partial erase and I had the app catalog open to monitor the download progress. It did the same thing as above.

    Since the certificate problem was fixed I have been good to go with no further errors.
    That's interesting I was in the app catalog today and noticed the same thing. I had just checked Govnah and all of a sudden after 15min. In the app catalog my temp shot up to 47C from about 36C while in the catalog. Has anyone else experienced the icons in the app catalog flashing on and off or is that just me?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I use the Blackberry Audio Gateway. Unfortunately, this is a A2DP device only. And the Pre doesn't seem to be able to bind voice to my car's bluetooth at the same time as binding stereo to the BBAG. So I'm stuck using either one or the other.
    Motorola T505 here.

    -- Rod
  5. #25  
    So... Pre Crappy processor + Charging + Tethering = Melted phone...?

    I don't understand why it has such difficulties with this... It's been getting warm more often than before...
  6. #26  
    Don't use any throttling like Govnah as this causes the CPU to heat up more then using a straight kernel or a straight 800MHz Patch. Also, this is my experience but I have removed black paper over the aluminum CPU cover, I scraped off all the silver plastic wrap from the silver covers as well. I have poked the holes open in the aluminum box to allow the CPU better airflow and I have noticed a slight decrease in average CPU temperature.

    My knowledge of computers tells me that the paper cover and extra "supposed thermal material" is overkill and not at all necessary. Also, lack of airflow through the aluminum cover allows for stale air to heat up more quickly in the CPU cover.



    I know people may disagree but this is my opinion and experience.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    So... Pre Crappy processor + Charging + Tethering = Melted phone...?

    I don't understand why it has such difficulties with this... It's been getting warm more often than before...
    I tether using the 125MHz processor speed just fine. I don't use Govnah to throttle on demand but i do use the specified speeds when doing specific tasks. Try Govnah in powersave 125mhz min & 125mhz max for tethering and let me know if you have any issues as i have not has a single overheating issue with this setting while on Tethering for Xbox Live or Laptop Tethering.

    I would not recommend using any on demand throttling AT ALL, EVER.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  8. #28  
    I can't imagine doing an xbl tether, that works? I guess I'll try govnah and hope that works, thanks.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    I can't imagine doing an xbl tether, that works? I guess I'll try govnah and hope that works, thanks.
    I have used it many times now with no issues. Of course you do need the unthrottle download manager patch and also to make sure your in a good 3G area.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  10. #30  
    I have it on now, seems like it's "cooler", but if I want to do a simple task like check the temp on the tool bar it's slow, which seems like it would be expected.

    Edit: The temp has gone back to normalish, I set everything to 250 and will try it that way. Thanks
  11. #31  
    I had heat issues running at 800 Mhz so I set back to 500 Mhz . My Pre was still running very hot especially on the TS . I used fans, A/C, and so on until I was resetting every few hours by needing to pull battery as the screen would not light up.

    I took phone to Sprint repair after removing mom Palm "approved applications.

    The moron head tech told me I had too many applications. ( I may have 40 ) He claimed the limit was 25 total applications per PALM. And that took processing even when they were not in use.

    We argued as I demanded that he supply documentation from Palm that says more than 25 applications is the limit on the Pre. Things got quite ugly in that Sprint Store. He finally with a lot of very loud arguing agreed to test the phone on their "machine" . The Pre failed what ever test they were doing. They are sending me another Pre.

    Why is it that everyone at Sprint has a different "opinion" without any technical documentation or manufacturer support ? They make such ridiculous claims they become there own enemy. If it were only me on my plan and not the wife and kids too. I would have walked out gladly paid the 200 bucks and changed carriers. But with 7 devices it is not practical.( BTW - Sprint could care less- I could have had one phone with no plan or contract and been treated as more valued. ) Most workers in this store do not speak English either! I had to wait for the English speaking workers. Most speak Spanish well but no English. That is a real problem for them.

    I really like my Pre. Sprint is the issue IMO . I know from this board what causes the heat issues and likely so do they. When it becomes such an issue that you have to pull battery several times a day and resting software will not clear it up, and device is under warranty backed up by the insurance plan one should not have to match technical knowledge with idiots !

    If they try to charge me for insurance @ 119.00 I will change carriers ( my phone is 10 months old ) . 25 application limit ..my **** !!!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Don't use any throttling like Govnah as this causes the CPU to heat up more then using a straight kernel or a straight 800MHz Patch. Also, this is my experience but I have removed black paper over the aluminum CPU cover, I scraped off all the silver plastic wrap from the silver covers as well. I have poked the holes open in the aluminum box to allow the CPU better airflow and I have noticed a slight decrease in average CPU temperature.

    My knowledge of computers tells me that the paper cover and extra "supposed thermal material" is overkill and not at all necessary. Also, lack of airflow through the aluminum cover allows for stale air to heat up more quickly in the CPU cover.



    I know people may disagree but this is my opinion and experience.
    The aluminium cover in your picture is the RF shielding over the cellular radio microprocessor on the comms board, not the OMAP CPU.

    The OMAP SoC is behind the "mirror".

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. #33  
    yeah I had my pre plugged into my car charging, while using sprint navigation around a fairly big city yesterday, I got the too hot warning, and just held it up to one of the ac vents, it cooled quickly.
    Twitter: adamcarter
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The aluminium cover in your picture is the RF shielding over the cellular radio microprocessor on the comms board, not the OMAP CPU.

    The OMAP SoC is behind the "mirror".

    -- Rod
    Then obviously it's not the OMAP that is the source of the heating issue as cooling the RF shield causes the most heated area to cool and the CPU temp to show as dropped. All that tells me is that either the OMAP CPU temp is being pulled from the wrong place, the Govnah monitor is labeled incorrectly or the CPU thermal monitor is in the wrong place.

    This:
    http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...leID=217702193
    States that both the front and back TI & Qualcomm are both applications processors. So the Qualcomm on the back being the one that is heating up the most seems to be doing the heavy lifting. Therefore that CPU needs to be vented and cooled.
    Last edited by demetry14; 06/09/2010 at 01:06 AM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    yeah I had my pre plugged into my car charging, while using sprint navigation around a fairly big city yesterday, I got the too hot warning, and just held it up to one of the ac vents, it cooled quickly.
    A vent mounted Phone holder is a good idea if this is happening.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Then obviously it's not the OMAP that is the source of the heating issue as cooling the RF shield causes the most heated area to cool and the CPU temp to show as dropped. All that tells me is that either the OMAP CPU temp is being pulled from the wrong place, the Govnah monitor is labeled incorrectly or the CPU thermal monitor is in the wrong place.
    Do you have the ability to do a controlled experiment where you log the CPU utilisation and temperature, and are able to keep the cooling insulated from the front-half of the device (e.g. slider extended, and only cooling just behind the keyboard) ? Perhaps with a video of the experiment, and with something running which keeps the CPU fully utilised at 100% for the duration of the experiment?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #37  
    <<quote deleted by mod>>

    Wow, why the reaction? It was a genuine question. You're obviously observing some sort of interaction between cooling the RF shield and the reported temperature in Govnah, so it would be good to isolate and characterise it. I was simply asking if you're able to do that and report the results.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/09/2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: delete quote
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    <<quote deleted by mod>>

    Wow, why the reaction? It was a genuine question. You're obviously observing some sort of interaction between cooling the RF shield and the reported temperature in Govnah, so it would be good to isolate and characterise it. I was simply asking if you're able to do that and report the results.

    -- Rod
    Its the text... There is no emotion in it until you say something dumb "which I did", so it can be interpreted incorrectly "as I did so".

    I didn't feel a need to isolate the different sections of the PCB as the cooling is almost instant as soon as something cold is applied to the RF shield. I applied an ice cube "in a baggy" to the RF shield and it withing a few seconds started cooling the device with CPU temps being shown as lowering in Govnah. It was a direct cool on a device that is in constant heat "kind of like a peltier effect".
    Last edited by demetry14; 06/09/2010 at 10:41 AM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

    The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Motorola T505 here.

    -- Rod
    Yup, but still can't voice dial with the Pre. Wonder when this will be possible.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_V View Post
    Nope that is the communication board getting hot from all that data being transffered
    So you're saying all those bits and bytes are working up a sweat because there's so many of them running back and forth?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions