Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56
  1.    #1  
    So I went to sprint today and the manager had a pre. I showed him mine with the uber k-govnah, and they all went crazy. I helped him and a few others download and they were still showing people who worked there and even new customers when I left. They were saying they had a new(to them) palm pre..They said there new pre was now faster and better than this phone and that phone. I was pretty happy with myself.
  2. jurias's Avatar
    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #2  
    sweeet...so they know about our great homebrew community...lets spread the word we have great people working on our phones...lets just not forget them when its time to donate
  3. #3  
    I showed the guys at the Encinitas, CA store my iPhone theme and 4x4 patch, and they were not impressed. "Oh, we've seen that before". I didn't show them the overclocking, because if my phone ever does fry, I need plausible deniability.
  4.    #4  
    I see your point on the warranty, but those guys think I am the king for showing them how to make there phone better, I should be ok. If we all did this pre might make a little comback.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I didn't show them the overclocking, because if my phone ever does fry, I need plausible deniability.
    Quote Originally Posted by sincityk9 View Post
    I see your point on the warranty
    I don't. Everyone that overclocks their phone should know that it voids the warranty. If you fry your phone because of overclocking, man up and accept the consequences instead of sticking it to Palm.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I don't. Everyone that overclocks their phone should know that it voids the warranty. If you fry your phone because of overclocking, man up and accept the consequences instead of sticking it to Palm.
    webos doctor should help the warranty unvoid
  7. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    webos doctor should help the warranty unvoid
    The only catch on that is if Palm wants to look into things when it concerns the warranty. Palm knows what apps are on your phone every day you have it. Anyone who has had Govnah or Uber-kernel pretty much has told Palm they replaced the kernel.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I don't. Everyone that overclocks their phone should know that it voids the warranty. If you fry your phone because of overclocking, man up and accept the consequences instead of sticking it to Palm.
    The key here is highlighted. Any other hardware failure that is unrelated should still be covered.
  9. #9  
    I told a verizon tech, who had a pre plus as well, about preware and patching after he saw and liked the theme and patches I had on the phone. A higher up tech knew about preware and was impressed that I did as well
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    The key here is highlighted. Any other hardware failure that is unrelated should still be covered.
    Yep, works just like a car's Warranty.

    If your car is useless because the electrical system malfunctions, they can't void your warranty because you have a high performance exhaust system.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I don't. Everyone that overclocks their phone should know that it voids the warranty. If you fry your phone because of overclocking, man up and accept the consequences instead of sticking it to Palm.
    I wouldn't be sticking it to Palm, I have the insurance. Stop girling up.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    webos doctor should help the warranty unvoid
    webOS Doctor won't help a phone that's electrically fried.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    The only catch on that is if Palm wants to look into things when it concerns the warranty. Palm knows what apps are on your phone every day you have it. Anyone who has had Govnah or Uber-kernel pretty much has told Palm they replaced the kernel.
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    The key here is highlighted. Any other hardware failure that is unrelated should still be covered.
    If Palm determines that you've overclocked, your warranty is voided period. I guess we'll have to wait for a test case to see if they enforce it.

    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I wouldn't be sticking it to Palm, I have the insurance.
    So you'll be sticking it to the insurance company instead? Otherwise why use the phrase "plausible deniability?" Sounds to me like you know you are doing something wrong and don't want to take responsibility for it. I'm pretty sure that insurance does not cover fried phones due to overclocking, or do you just plan on committing insurance fraud by claiming you "lost" the phone?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    So you'll be sticking it to the insurance company instead? Otherwise why use the phrase "plausible deniability?" Sounds to me like you know you are doing something wrong and don't want to take responsibility for it. I'm pretty sure that insurance does not cover fried phones due to overclocking, or do you just plan on committing insurance fraud by claiming you "lost" the phone?
    As far as I am aware, if you have the equipment replacement insurance plan (and I speak only of Sprint, for that is all i know), for which one pays extra every month (this business model more than covers the costs of replaced devices, no?), you can effectively take a hammer to your phone and go get a replacement one if you like.

    I have this plan, and I walked in and told them first thing that I had overclocked my phone and fried it. I didn't feel like beating around the bush. They replaced it without even asking me any questions once it was confirmed as actually having a hardware problem.

    Maybe this is just how they spin it at the store... it does seem like there must be legalese that basically says "if you deliberately break your phone, we will not replace it" ... but I've had Sprint reps openly suggest that I pretend to lose my phone in the past (before the Pre era), rather than go through the whole process of proving that there was a problem with the phone, etc.
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

    If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
  14. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #14  
    To some guy earlier... Why would you show people an Iphone theme... You're trying to show them what a Pre can do, and it could come off as an iphone-wannabe.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenoc View Post
    As far as I am aware, if you have the equipment replacement insurance plan (and I speak only of Sprint, for that is all i know), for which one pays extra every month (this business model more than covers the costs of replaced devices, no?), you can effectively take a hammer to your phone and go get a replacement one if you like.
    Here is a link to a PDF copy of Sprint's Equipment Replacement Program.

    While it does say that it covers "Loss, Theft, Physical or Liquid damage" if you check under Section II - Exclusions, it says this:

    "We will not pay for Loss caused directly or indirectly or resulting from events, conditions or cause of Loss identified in this Section II. Such Losses are excluded regardless of any other cause or event that contributes concurrently or in any sequence to the Loss.

    G. Loss caused by or resulting from use of the Covered Property in a manner for which it was not designed or intended by the manufacturer."

    In my opinion, overclocking violates section G listed above but I suppose someone could call Asurion and ask them directly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenoc View Post
    I have this plan, and I walked in and told them first thing that I had overclocked my phone and fried it. I didn't feel like beating around the bush. They replaced it without even asking me any questions once it was confirmed as actually having a hardware problem.
    I'd say you got lucky...maybe because you were honest about it or more likely the Sprint reps were clueless.


    Quote Originally Posted by Xenoc View Post
    I've had Sprint reps openly suggest that I pretend to lose my phone in the past (before the Pre era), rather than go through the whole process of proving that there was a problem with the phone
    Pretty sad that Sprint reps promote insurance fraud. People may think it's ok but we all pay higher prices for insurance because of people like that.
    Last edited by Trekker; 05/16/2010 at 12:38 PM.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    webOS Doctor won't help a phone that's electrically fried.



    Exactly.



    If Palm determines that you've overclocked, your warranty is voided period. I guess we'll have to wait for a test case to see if they enforce it.



    So you'll be sticking it to the insurance company instead? Otherwise why use the phrase "plausible deniability?" Sounds to me like you know you are doing something wrong and don't want to take responsibility for it. I'm pretty sure that insurance does not cover fried phones due to overclocking, or do you just plan on committing insurance fraud by claiming you "lost" the phone?
    Listen, my fine, emo friend, if my phone fries, I want to walk in, show them the phone and walk out without dealing with 2 hours of BS. The chance of frying my phone with OC is very very low, which is why we all are doing it. But if it does happen, it's why I pay the $7/month, and I don't want to deal with hassles about it. I would show them the phone, say it doesn't work, please get me another, and they would need to do that.

    The portions of the policy that you cite do not exclude installing OC kernals. I am using it in a manner intended by the manufacturer, as a smart phone. They exclude using it as a doorstop or a hockey puck. It may void the warranty, as does water damage, but it doesn't preclude insurance coverage.

    <<edited by moderator>>
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/16/2010 at 04:57 PM.
  17. #17  
    Most "instore" techs at sprint will not check ur kernel if u carry ur phone for any crashing errors. Most likely a replacement without questions. Plus if u kno how to patch ur phone, u should be able to doctor it.
  18. dan000's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    So you'll be sticking it to the insurance company instead? Otherwise why use the phrase "plausible deniability?" Sounds to me like you know you are doing something wrong and don't want to take responsibility for it. I'm pretty sure that insurance does not cover fried phones due to overclocking, or do you just plan on committing insurance fraud by claiming you "lost" the phone?
    Whats the difference between him and someone that speeds in their car at 120mph, crashes, and breaks their phone in the process? Should their phone not be replaced because "they knew they were doing something wrong"? Or do they just tell the insurance "my phone broke in a car crash"?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Listen, my fine, emo friend, if my phone fries, I want to walk in, show them the phone and walk out without dealing with 2 hours of BS. The chance of frying my phone with OC is very very low, which is why we all are doing it. But if it does happen, it's why I pay the $7/month, and I don't want to deal with hassles about it. I would show them the phone, say it doesn't work, please get me another, and they would need to do that.

    The portions of the policy that you cite do not exclude installing OC kernals. I am using it in a manner intended by the manufacturer, as a smart phone. They exclude using it as a doorstop or a hockey puck. It may void the warranty, as does water damage, but it doesn't preclude insurance coverage.

    <<edited by moderator>>
    Too bad your rationale is flawed.

    Palm ships out their phone at 500 mhz and that's what they intended as the manufacturer.

    You use a modified kernel to make it run beyond the manufacturer's intended (set) value. Not only you surpass what Palm set the CPU, you exceeded that techincal specs from the CPU maker.

    And you really think you can argue this act is not subject to the exclusion?

    Really?

    Yes, you paid for insurance. However, that doesn't mean you can abuse the system with some idiotic rationale.

    People like you are the reason why the insurance industry suffers so many claim losses.

    It's amazing.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/16/2010 at 04:59 PM.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan000 View Post
    Whats the difference between him and someone that speeds in their car at 120mph, crashes, and breaks their phone in the process? Should their phone not be replaced because "they knew they were doing something wrong"? Or do they just tell the insurance "my phone broke in a car crash"?
    If the insurance company covering Sprint with the TEP plan would spend the money to investigate the claim, they would deny the claim for a phone replacement.

    And yes, there are exclusions within policies for "intentional acts".
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions