1.    #1  
    Help me with an issue I have here.

I have a Gmail email account that I have had for a long time and have tens of thousands of messages. Now that I am accessing Gmail on multiple clients (desktop, laptop, mobile), I want to change from accessing them via POP to accessing via IMAP.

The problem is the thousands of emails I have already received. I don't want duplicates on my email client, and I don't want to have to download all those emails again. Is there any easy way around this?

Would transferring my messages from my POP folders to my IMAP folders (before I enable IMAP in Gmail) keep this from happening, or would they download anyway? Would deleting all my emails online and then copying all the mail from the POP folders to the IMAP folders work?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    when you were using POP to access gmail, did u choose to delete downloaded emails from server?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    when you were using POP to access gmail, did u choose to delete downloaded emails from server?
    No, all the messages are still on Gmail.
    Delete the account off your Pre. Add it back as a GMAIL account. Set it to only display messages for a few days (I leave mine at 7). This will prevent the 10s of thousands, but will display the latest messages on your Pre. There won't be duplicates, since it's only showing what's on the server.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Delete the account off your Pre. Add it back as a GMAIL account. Set it to only display messages for a few days (I leave mine at 7). This will prevent the 10s of thousands, but will display the latest messages on your Pre. There won't be duplicates, since it's only showing what's on the server.
    Thanks. How is the best way to convert my Outlook version?