Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello, if there are any AT&T PPP users out there that can demonstrate how to force your phone to 2G like you can on the iPhone 3G(S)

I really want to buy one, but if I can't force it onto 2G, i'll be forced to get the iPhone 2010.
    On a GSM Pre, you go to the phone app, tap the menu, preferences, and set Network Type to 2G only.

That's all
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSPARTAN003 View Post
    Hello, if there are any AT&T PPP users out there that can demonstrate how to force your phone to 2G like you can on the iPhone 3G(S)

I really want to buy one, but if I can't force it onto 2G, i'll be forced to get the iPhone 2010.
    That assumes that the new iPhone will also allow you to force it into 2G...
    Well the 3g and 3gs allow you to, so one can assume the new one will too. As for the pre, according to dieter in the comments section of his review, you can't.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Just curious, why would you not want 3g?
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    EDGE is often more reliable in urban areas because of the lesser demand on that part of the network, also it is more mature so there are less holes in that part of the network.
    Exposing my tech ignorance here, but shouldn't the phone automatically fall back to an EDGE connection when 3G is not available? I assume if so, then some phones might do a better job of that than others. We won't really know how well the PrePlus does that until we get valid user reports after they get into users hands starting tomorrow.

Is this a big problem for iPhones?
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TexZenFool View Post
    Exposing my tech ignorance here, but shouldn't the phone automatically fall back to an EDGE connection when 3G is not available? I assume if so, then some phones might do a better job of that than others. We won't really know how well the PrePlus does that until we get valid user reports after they get into users hands starting tomorrow.

Is this a big problem for iPhones?
    Yes it will automatically fall back to edge. Yes some phones have greater 3G signal capture and some fall back to edge when it is not necessary. Hopefully the pre plus will have strong 3G reception and network management.
    Edge gives longer battery life.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Edge gives longer battery life.
    True but withsuch a cool effortless way to charge who cares about battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    On a GSM Pre, you go to the phone app, tap the menu, preferences, and set Network Type to 2G only.

That's all
    Sorry, I can't find this setting..
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordielordie View Post
    Sorry, I can't find this setting..
    It's most definitely doable, here's a screenshot proving so.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Often, when I'm out and about, and I see my battery getting low, I'll switch to edge to slow the battery drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    I have an ATT Pre and this is not an option..
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordielordie View Post
    I have an ATT Pre and this is not an option..
    Well they probably blocked it. Won't be the first time.

WAit.. How'd you get one. Any stores selling early?
    Quote Originally Posted by dukel View Post
    Well they probably blocked it. Won't be the first time.

WAit.. How'd you get one. Any stores selling early?

is there any doubt that home brew wizards will make the 2G option appear again?

I have 1 reserved at an Orlando Florida store. I will have mine at 11:01am.

Sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post

Sweet.
    Lucky... My corp store doesnt open until 12
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post

Sweet.
    Yah I really have no use for the option I would never turn 3G off.
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    That screenshot appears to have been made from a european Pre. That same choice is also available from the phone preferences menu on my Telcel Pre that's been unlocked while connected to AT&T's 3G network.

There is no way to force 2G on the AT&T Palm Pre Plus that we know of yet.

Here's a reference for my information:
    Precentral review:
    http://www.precentral.net/att-palm-pre-plus-review
    From the review referenced:
    "Unfortunately, we could not find a setting to force the AT&T Pre Plus to use EDGE-only for data; that will require a homebrew patch."

From the posted comments to this Precentral review:

Dieter, On the Telcel GSM Pre which I've unlocked and am using on AT&T, from the Phone Preferences menu I have the ability to choose default data network. The choices are automatic, 2G and 3G. If I choose 2G, the device only connects at 2G (EDGE) data speeds. When you say there isn't a way to force the AT&T Pre Plus to use only EDGE data, are you saying the choice has been removed from the phone preferences menu?
    By TopTongueBarry on Thu, 13 May

Yep - I'm guessing that it's the first thing that appears under "Network," right? On the AT&T Pre the first thing is a grayed-out "AT&T" You can enable or disable Data Roaming, Data Usage, opt for Manual settings for things like APN and MMS gateways, and toggle TTY/TDD That's it :| By Dieter Bohn on Thu, 13 May
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I couldn't find info on gsm pres, but on cdma you can enter ##EVDO#(in the phone app) and it will allow you to change the setting to stay on 2G till you change it back. Is this the same code you enter to get in to gsm?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast