Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    go to the dialer, punch in "##3836#" and then select edge or whatever pops up in the drop down menu. for example, my phone lists:
    -1xRTT only
    -EVDO rev 0 only
    -Hybrid rev 0
    -EVDO only
    -Hybrid rev A

the list may be different for your at&t pre plus, because its GSM, and EVDO(3G) is only on CDMA phones. there might be an EDGE (2.75G) option, but I'm not sure, seeing that my Pixi is akin to Sprint.
    after selecting your data type, the phone must restart. but luckily its a shorter restart than the normal ones. hope this helps!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    go to the dialer, punch in "##3836#" and then select edge or whatever pops up in the drop down menu. for example, my phone lists:
    -1xRTT only
    -EVDO rev 0 only
    -Hybrid rev 0
    -EVDO only
    -Hybrid rev A

the list may be different for your at&t pre plus, because its GSM, and EVDO(3G) is only on CDMA phones. there might be an EDGE (2.75G) option, but I'm not sure, seeing that my Pixi is akin to Sprint.
    after selecting your data type, the phone must restart. but luckily its a shorter restart than the normal ones. hope this helps!
    This.

If you want to turn data off, go to your phone app --> preferences --> Data switch off.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    This.

If you want to turn data off, go to your phone app --> preferences --> Data switch off.
    Thanks all! I forgot about the 'Preferences' choices in the phone app.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    <<merged>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    It's most definitely doable, here's a screenshot proving so.
    There is no such choice on my AT&T Pre. You can turn off 3G, but it does not switch to EDGE.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dukel View Post
    Yes it will automatically fall back to edge. Yes some phones have greater 3G signal capture and some fall back to edge when it is not necessary. Hopefully the pre plus will have strong 3G reception and network management.
    I turned off my 3G on my AT&T Pre and could not access the Web because it gave me a message that there was no data connection available.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    I turned off my 3G on my AT&T Pre and could not access the Web because it gave me a message that there was no data connection available.
    Download the homebrew app Quick System Tasks, as previously recommended. It has a switch for 2G only, you will still get data but slower.
    If it's not frozen, don't try and thaw it.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    The patch is called "Toggle 3G in Device Menu" iirc.
    I've tried 3 times to install this patch. I keep receiving the "1 out of 5 hunks..." error message.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Install Preware, and the patch you want is 'Toggle 3G in Menu English Only'. That will let you tap at the top of the screen to select the network mode in addition to the already present ability to turn on/off WiFi and Bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    Try the app "Quick System Tasks" as this could override the not-availability in the menu of att Pre.
    I downloaded that app. It's great.
    Edge sounds like a good idea during peak hours here 11am-7pm 3g usually pulls in no faster than 70kbps. Uploads are usually faster 99% of the time. Edge will probably also pull faster speeds during peak hours. I will try the patch.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdgenius View Post
    Edge sounds like a good idea during peak hours here 11am-7pm 3g usually pulls in no faster than 70kbps. Uploads are usually faster 99% of the time. Edge will probably also pull faster speeds during peak hours. I will try the patch.
    You can get more than half a day (15 hours) of browsing done on an iPhone 3GS.
    3G is a KILLER. But, you can have a real conference and have like up to TEN-way call. But if your just using data, use EDGE. If your at home, and your reading, still, stick to EDGE. Use Wi-Fi if your gonna browse Youtube vid's and the like.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    I downloaded that app. It's great.
    Glad QST was able to help you out.

For everyone else that is not sure what QST has to offer on this subject...

Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    Glad QST was able to help you out.

For everyone else that is not sure what QST has to offer on this subject...

WOW, I need it! But I have so many failures trying to install webos quick install & Preware ... (I will not discuss it here because there is another where I'm trying to do it...). Just saying it seems to be Great!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123