Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Try the app "Quick System Tasks" as this could override the not-availability in the menu of att Pre.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    This may be a repeat question, but is there a way to disable 3G on the AT&T version of the Palm Pre Plus? It doesn't seem to be under any of the normal menus, and the German link, even with translation doesn't seem to help.

I really wish Palm made a nice simple control that wasn't hidden...

Thanks in advance.
    There should be a switch in the Phone App Preferences to turn off data.
    there's a patch for that. You need to get preware for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    there's a patch for that. You need to get preware for that.
    The patch is called "Toggle 3G in Device Menu" iirc.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Thank you for the responses. I am installing the WebOS Quick Install v3.12 as I type this.
    If you need any help just post.
    Out of curiosity though did you find the data toggle in the phone preferences?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I installed the WebOS Quick Install 3.12 program, and it runs, but I am not seeing Preware listed on any of the feeds or lists. I had downloaded the patch, but still don't have Preware...I'll see if it works, but I did get an error on installing Toggle 3G device in Menu.

Ok, the moment I typed this it showed up....I was looking in the right place, but it just wasn't there.
    Last edited by Targon; 05/20/2010 at 05:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    If you need any help just post.
    Out of curiosity though did you find the data toggle in the phone preferences?
    I saw the data toggle, but I don't want to disable data, just deal with poor 3G service in my area(which affects call quality).
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    So, for others that run into problems(since they will need Preware), one thing that really helps is to make sure you have your WiFi turned on. My 3G service was really bad this morning, and Preware wasn't populating the packages list.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Well, I had to go to WiFi to get the package updates because of the service issues here, and of course, once I installed the update I found I couldn't use any data via my cellular coverage, even though WiFi was working. So, back to factory settings until later when I try this again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    This may be a repeat question, but is there a way to disable 3G on the AT&T version of the Palm Pre Plus? It doesn't seem to be under any of the normal menus, and the German link, even with translation doesn't seem to help.

I really wish Palm made a nice simple control that wasn't hidden...

Thanks in advance.
    You might take a look at QST - http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...k-system-tasks. It has toggles for 3G only and 2G only modes. I know it works on the German GSM Pre but I have no clue if it works on the AT&T Pre.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    After I did my restore this morning, it looks like the patch for Toggle 3G in device menu stayed, even though the rest of the stuff was cleared out, and now it is working perfectly. Odd that I had so many problems, but it is working well right now, no Preware or anything else installed.
  14.    #34  
    Thanks everyone.

My Developer GSM Palm Pre Plus is on its way! Which will replace my Moto RAZR 2, as my World Phone.

And, HELLO EVO!
    I can't believe you guys. The AT&T phone has not been out a month and here you are tweaking it already. You know how AT&T hates user tweaks. They want you to be locked down.

Business model is: A happy user is a user who can't change features on his phone unless they buy the apps from AT&T only. j/k only.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Hey guys. Just stopped by the AT&T store and picked up a Pre for my main number But for some reason it is only accessing EDGE and won't go on 3G. Am I missing a setting?

Thanks!
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Tap on the Phone Menu (upper left) : /Settings/Network - default is automatic meaning you should be getting 3G if there is 3G coverage. Otherwise 2G (Edge) or G.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    Try the app "Quick System Tasks" as this could override the not-availability in the menu of att Pre.
    That was just what I needed! I installed it today and I am using the 2G Only toggle in tray mode and it works great! It took me a moment to realize when alter the tray order and content you need to use the App Menu and choose Full App Shutdown and restart (the App not the Phone). This will reflect your new settings.

I am going to run my full work day in 2G and hope that this saves my battery. I use my phone primarily for work which is #1 calls and #2 email when I am out of the office.

Coming from the Treo Pro with extended battery (not fat battery) and running in 2g mode I would always get about 12 hours which is the length of my work days on weekends.

I will be heart broken if I can not get to the end of a day with the Pre. I have been following the Pre since 6 months before the Sprint release and I purchased my wife the Sprint Pre when it first came out. I have suffered during international releases, Verizon and now I have it for AT&T.

Well I come this far, lets see where the journey takes me.

And by the way the home brew community just ROCKS! Nuff said!

Regards
    graylion
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to do this? I'm not talking Airplane mode, it's EDGE. Thanks.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    do you have Preware installed? There are a bunch of patches to add various options to the phone menu to turn data on and off...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast