Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok sorry for the misleading title but I'm locked into another year on my iphone 3GS but what chances are there of picking up a new AT&T pre this weekend or soon without a contract and moving my iphone sim into it? I know it's probably a pipe dream but I have been watching the pre scene since day one and I would love to try it.

Or is my only option to check ebay and craigs list and buy use AT&T pre when they start showing up?

Thanks for any info. Doug D
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug D View Post
    Ok sorry for the misleading title but I'm locked into another year on my iphone 3GS but what chances are there of picking up a new AT&T pre this weekend or soon without a contract and moving my iphone sim into it? I know it's probably a pipe dream but I have been watching the pre scene since day one and I would love to try it.

Or is my only option to check ebay and craigs list and buy use AT&T pre when they start showing up?

Thanks for any info. Doug D
    My honest opinion as a pre owner would be to wait it out. The 3gs is a solid phone, and it's getting alot more features in the summer. Web-os is amazing, but time will only make it better. The pre is decent, but hardware next year will be alot better.

If you where up for a renewal then i'd say go for it, but since you still have a year left, and already have a 3gs, i recommend waiting.
    AT&T will probably gladly sell you a no-contract Palm Pre... For a few hundred $. And if they don't, it won't be long until you can buy a developer phone.

(If you need some justification, I say you sell some cross-line testing for CDMA developers, like me. I'd trade a free copy of Scratch for someone to test it on AT&T.)
    $399.99
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I usually wait for a phone on Craig's because:

Corporate stores seem to be the worst IMO. I get my phone number recorded even for small purchases so they definitely watch your account like hawks. If you do get one from a corporate store, they may try activate your account over but you may be able to just tell them you're trying it out for 30 days. Every store could be different. I went to one corporate store where they weren't so inquisitive or insistent. Calling around may help.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I will wait it out for a while.
    I have high hopes that HP will invest some time and money into webos and
    at least refresh the hardware sooner than later. I can imagine a snapdragon equipped pre being on equal footing with anything that apple or the android camp can throw at them.
    well, alot of people are getting there upgrade dates moved up because of the iphone 4g, but i dont know if thats only if you get an iphone or if you can use that for the pre.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    Why not buy yourself out of you contract, then go to sprint and save massive ammts of money per month.

I mean whats the max buy out from att? 200.00 + 149.00 for a 2 yr w/ sprint has got to be cheaper than a off contract pre from att.

Im betting its going to be 599+ off contract.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

after the first year they will probably give you a discount, although not as much as two years. THat's what vz does. ask, they want the sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Why not buy yourself out of you contract, then go to sprint and save massive ammts of money per month.

I mean whats the max buy out from att? 200.00 + 149.00 for a 2 yr w/ sprint has got to be cheaper than a off contract pre from att.

It was quoted as $400 no contract, not bad if true.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    WAIT
    There are those that will move on after 1 year.
    Then there are those that will wait for a new Palm which may be soon.
    Myself, I am hoping that the C-40 is real.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Why not buy yourself out of you contract, then go to Sprint and save massive amounts of money per month.

Why Sprint with a Pre and not a Pre Plus--if you are going to buy yourself out of a contract I would think Verizon for $39, free mobile hot spot and of course twice the memory would be a better route--unless of course Sprint is way cheaper.

As for me I have been happy with ATT and would feel a major step backward to lose my simultaneous voice and data. I send and receive emails while on the phone all the time and losing that feature after over 2 years would really be a bummer.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    what chances are there of picking up a new AT&T pre this weekend or soon without a contract and moving my iphone sim into it?
    Pretty good IMHO. You can try and see if they'll give you an early upgrade, if they don't you can just get the Pre+ full price and resell your iphone on ebay. The resell value on those is pretty good if you've taken care of it.

Why would he want to move from AT&T to Sprint? Sprint blows (at least here in Arizona).
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Helpful comment. How does Sprint "blow". It would be more helpful to indicate if it is coverage, speed, customer service, etc.....
    Dan
    saving money on sprint would depend on what you need. If he doesn't use alot of data or anytime minutes, the lowest price you could get on at&t is $39.99 + $15 = $54.99, compared to sprint which is $69.99. Sure he gets less minutes and a data cap of 200 mb, but if that's all he needs then why pay for more?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  17.    #17  
    So I walked into my local AT&T store this morning (Bristol , CT) with the intention on purchasing a new no commitment palm pre plus and use my existing iphone sim in it. Well all the sales guys were happy to tell me it would not work and I would need to move to a separate data plan than the one I currently have on my iphone. I have the existing unlimited $30 a month plan.
    Oh and by moving to a new phone my $30 a month plan would have to switch to one of the new ones ..

Yeah.

Once I got home I called AT&T tech support and spoke to a helpful person who said my existing dataplan and iphone 3gs sim would indeed work in a new no commitment palm pre plus.

So it looks like if I now drive a little farther to another AT&T store in my area I may be able to get that new palm pre plus that will work with my existing contract. I guess my local AT&T store has special phones that don't work on existing dataplans .. yes this is a little sarcastic .. ;>

Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug D View Post
    Ok sorry for the misleading title but I'm locked into another year on my iphone 3GS but what chances are there of picking up a new AT&T pre this weekend or soon without a contract and moving my iphone sim into it?
    I don't know your chances of picking up a new Pre, but your sim should work fine.
    I know it's probably a pipe dream but I have been watching the pre scene since day one and I would love to try it.
    Well, speaking as someone with a 3Gs (work) and a Pre Plus (personal), I'd probably ride out your current contract if I were you. I love my Pre but I don't know if it's that much better than the 3Gs to justify dumping one and paying the penalty for a non-contract purchase. The iPhone has a bigger development community at the moment (although like the classic PalmOS there are a lot of useless and redundant apps in there as well). As a contract purchase, though, the Pre was cheaper than the comparable 3Gs by $50, and with the HP purchase, I was willing to gamble that the development community would grow significantly. Also, most of the apps that I have on my 3Gs have webOS equivalents. The ones that don't weren't important enough for me to disqualify it (the free InHouse app and Skype to name two).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for your input toby. It's killing me since I'm a gadget nerd but I believe I will wait at this point. My gut is telling me palm will release something by end of summer. With Apple announcing a new iphone this coming monday plus with the new droid evo phone now on sprints network one would think that palm would have to at the very least talk about something before fall.

Hey maybe someone from Palm will leave a new in development pre in a bar somewhere, or hell why not just mail it with no return address right to gizmodo's offices .. ;>

Thanks. doug
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    You can use a SIM attached to an iPhone data plan in a Pre (or any other phone) just fine. And with the iPhone data plan you can still access the internet on your Palm.

HOWEVER, you should be aware that the iPhone visual voicemail system on AT&T is completely separate from their main voicemail system, and you will not be able to access voicemail messages on the Pre while you have the iPhone data plan active.

If you switch away from the iPhone data plan to the "regular" smartphone data plan, you may have issues accessing the internet on your iPhone should you choose to go back to it, but you can do it without changing your contract/commitment.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast