Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1.    #1  
    Okay my phone shuts off around 6 times a day. Mostly for no apparent reason. It can be sitting on my desk and the next time I look at it, OFF!

    Its favorite time to shut off is when I close the slider. Some have said this is a battery contact issue and theres some DIY fix for this? I couldnt find any instructions on how. Maybe someone whos done it can explain and Ill give it a try.

    Yes, I can take it back for a referb. FYI Ive worked for AT&T and Verizon, I know all about the "quality referbs"!

    referb=new junk same as the old junk!

    Im sad about it. I truly loved the Pre when I first got it. I went and got my wife one too. Now its a thorn in my side. Palm died for a reason and it wasnt just weak commercials people. When your "flagship" hardware is junk your stock will be junk too!

    Thanks for the help with this, sorry about the rant.
  2. #2  
    Best Method is to get a piece of insulation foam or 2 sided foam tape and cut it to down to size so it can wedge between the top of the batter and the compartment that it sits in. I would put it behind the Pull tab that you use to yank the battery.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseQ View Post
    Its favorite time to shut off is when I close the slider. Some have said this is a battery contact issue and theres some DIY fix for this? I couldnt find any instructions on how. Maybe someone whos done it can explain and Ill give it a try.
    Had this problem too. I initially solved it by making a paper spacer, but that made my Pre creaky when I typed on it, so I took it out again; I suppose that any type of spacers, even foam ones, will eventually give you the creak.

    My ultimate solution that fixed it once and for all was to power down my Pre, take out the battery, and with a needle, ever so cautiously pull out the three springy contacts for the battery.

    Do NOT full-on rip them out, obviously; just eke them out a tiny bit, a millimeter or even less is going to suffice entirely. I know that it works flawlessly for me.

    I think that this is very often at the heart of the problem; especially if you change batteries often (like me), there's a chance that the contacts get 'pushed in' after a while and lose some of their springiness. Pulling them out a tiny bit will offset this effect. It's a fix that doesn't cost anything, and takes about 30 seconds to complete.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Had this problem too. I initially solved it by making a paper spacer, but that made my Pre creaky when I typed on it, so I took it out again; I suppose that any type of spacers, even foam ones, will eventually give you the creak.

    My ultimate solution that fixed it once and for all was to power down my Pre, take out the battery, and with a needle, ever so cautiously pull out the three springy contacts for the battery.

    Do NOT full-on rip them out, obviously; just eke them out a tiny bit, a millimeter or even less is going to suffice entirely. I know that it works flawlessly for me.

    I think that this is very often at the heart of the problem; especially if you change batteries often (like me), there's a chance that the contacts get 'pushed in' after a while and lose some of their springiness. Pulling them out a tiny bit will offset this effect. It's a fix that doesn't cost anything, and takes about 30 seconds to complete.
    I like this! Im a modding nerd, this is easy and I can see how it would help!

    Thanks!
  5. #5  
    You're welcome.

    And by the by, if the biggest IT company on earth buys a smaller company for 1.2bn, it can hardly be said that the smaller company "died"...
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    And by the by, if the biggest IT company on earth buys a smaller company for 1.2bn, it can hardly be said that the smaller company "died"...
    True. In this case it means the bigger company bought the smaller company for a steal just before the smaller company died. Huge difference.

Posting Permissions