Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I move my Touchstone around more than I should. And now the pads aren't sticking, I've tried getting them wet but it doesn't do much. I just want to leave it one spot now but it won't hold. Is there anywhere I can get a replacement pad of the same stickiness? I don't want to rig anything up, I just want what I had before.
    Just use some double sided tape and that works perfect. I use M3 double sided tape it's made more toward cars but works fantastic.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    A couple of days ago @palm on twitter said that if you use tape on the bottom it removes the micro-crud from the pad. I used masking tape and works great. Not as sticky as when I first got it but it still takes alot of effort to remove it from my desk.

Edit: put the tape on the bottom and remove the tape. Not as a replacement but a cleaner.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    did the pad ever have an adhesive on it? or was it just a super tacky rubber?

if it was just really tacky, you might give it some life by cleaning it really well with some cleaner that doesn't leave residue and a rag that doesnt leave lots of lint particles. I used to do this with my ping pong paddles that had a rubbery surface and it worked pretty nice.

in my car i used some no residue easy remove pads from 3m, because in the winter time the rubber lost its tack because of the cold. But they remove easily without leaving residue.

Amazon.com: 3M Command 17024 Poster Strips: Home Improvement
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    What to do to fix is with hand soap, lather your hands with it then slightly clean the bottom of touchstone with soapy hands and then splash a bit of water without getting water inside the cable port. Pat dry with towel, full stickyness will return after a couple of hours.Works for me every time.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Oh my, I love these forums. I wasn't expecting any responses when I refreshed and there are 4 already. Thanks guys, I'll try both the tape as a cleaner and the soapy water.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppeye View Post
    It's actually a nanotube adhesive, which is one of the most geeky-awesome things ever.
    It's sticky not through chemistry but by physics; it's got very many very tiny tubes pointing downwards. Pressing the touchstone against a flat surface will compress these tubes, and since they're only open on one side, the suction created by the compression will pull the touchstone to the surface you put it on.

That's why it can be cleaned by putting tape on and pulling it off: over time, dust enters the nanotubes which then won't be able to effect their suction anymore. The tape pulls out some of the dust.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 05/14/2010 at 10:34 AM.
    From what I remember from the original Touchstone demo a year ago, the "sticky" part on the bottom is actually made up of micro-suction-cups, not an adhesive. You should be able to clean it off with a damp cloth or with the tape suggestion to pull the crud out of the little holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    It's actually a nanotube adhesive, which is one of the most geeky-awesome things ever.
    It's sticky not through chemistry but by physics; it's got very many very tiny tubes pointing downwards. Pressing the touchstone against a flat surface will compress these tubes, and since they're only open on one side, the suction created by the compression will pull the touchstone to the surface you put it on.
    Geeky-Awesome. My new favorite word.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppeye View Post
    They said the pad was technology based on gekko hand pads. ::shrug::
    I actually got some of my stickiness back by cleaning it with warm water and dish detergent. Seemed to help a little but not as strong as it was new.
    PreDoodle - http://www.predoodle.com
    Palm Pre Comics and WebOS Humor all served up in a digital doodle fashion!
    I just cleaned mine with tape. Not like brand new but will not slide without some effort. Thanks!
    dabbing it with a wet washcloth should return the sticky, just like those dashboard pads. if it doesn't, then run over to Pep Boys Auto and get one of those dashboard pads and glue a piece to the touchstone...
    FYI I had fantastic results, meaning that my touchstone which was no longer sticky at all (from near launch), was restored to full-sticky goodness (adhering nicely to vertical surfaces like a glass window) using Windex and a lint-free cloth. High-quality paper towels seem to work, too.

I'm thinking that any mild solvent is the best way to clean the touchstone micro-suction pad, as a mild solvent should work into the micro-pads and clear out the debris. Windex, some citrus-based furniture polishes, maybe a plastic laminate cleaner. I'd be careful, though, as some stronger solvents would probably destroy the pad altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    A couple of days ago @palm on twitter said that if you use tape on the bottom it removes the micro-crud from the pad. I used masking tape and works great. Not as sticky as when I first got it but it still takes alot of effort to remove it from my desk.

Edit: put the tape on the bottom and remove the tape. Not as a replacement but a cleaner.
    +1 to this. I just cleaned my touchstone with scotch tape. Very fast and worked like a charm.

3 inches of tape saved my touchstone. It's like new.
    Is it possible to clean with compressed air? My touchstone is still new so i don't need to clean it yet, but when I do, i'm wondering if it will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    Is it possible to clean with compressed air? My touchstone is still new so i don't need to clean it yet, but when I do, i'm wondering if it will work.
    I would not try on my touchstones. I don't want to risk further embedding dust and debris into the gecko-nanotube-magic base of the Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I use a lil soap and water, just be careful not to get it inside. Works fine. Done it 3 times so far.
    Sticky tape worked perfectly. No need for anything else.
    Use scocth tape, it cleans it does a pretty well job.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast