Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I am very familiar with linux systems, and I'm sad that I've nearly bricked my phone.

My phone is currently in a state where a cold boot seems to fail sometime before the palm logo begins to glow. In that state, webOS Doctor doesn't pick up the device (from my laptop, novaterm -l returns no devices.) I got into this predicament when trying to put my phone into USB mode, and copy over some music. I rarely use the feature, so I'm not sure if this is a common problem. During the copy, the USB device disappeared, but my palm still showed the USB logo. After waiting a few minutes for it to return, I finally decided to unplug the phone, which sent the phone to the glowing palm logo. When I got back into the GUI, I had a message that notified me that I broke something, but no worries, the phone fixed it. It then warned me to make sure I unmount the USB device before unplugging. After a second attempt to do the exact same thing, when I unplugged the phone, it went to the non-glowing palm logo, and got stuck. Been that way ever since. In this sort of scenario, it seems like I need a filesystem check. I'm not sure if it's even possible, and I'd really rather not Doctor the device if possible. I am not very good at doing backups....

If I power the unit on while holding the volume up button, novaterm lets me connect to a limited little OS that doesn't do much. Not sure if it's the boot loader menu or what. Looks like this;

Code:
    ] help
    command list:
    	nduid           : get the device id
    	usb             : usb transfer commands
    	lboot           : boot linux image
    	klog            : klog commands
    	printenv        : print all of the environment variables
    	getenv          : read an environment variable
    	setenv          : set an environment variable
    	reset           : reset the device
    	script          : run a script at specified address
    	run             : run a script at from an environment variable
    	return          : return from current script
    	help            : this list
    	version         : get bootie version
    	battery         : battery status
    	charging        : commands to set charging states
    	fsboot          : boot current image based on environment
    	chainboot       : boot another bootloader image based on environment
    	go              : Jump to a given address with the given arguments
    	diag            : perform diag operations: write, boot, verify
    	poweroff        : power off completely
    Are there some tricks I can pull off from this menu? I'm not getting anywhere by trying to poke around blindly,and my googling isn't turning up any documentation.

P.S. Sorry for the bleep in the tile, aparently the short hand for 'filesystem check' has 3 out of 4 letters in common and order as a very popular vulgar word starting with the letter F. 's/u/s/'

P.S.S. Found some more information:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Bootie

So I'm in what's called 'bootie' mode. got more googling to do...
    Last edited by Kaihmeyer; 05/13/2010 at 07:18 PM.
    I don't know much about linux. help info pasted from another post should help:

1) Turn your Pre completely off. If you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.
    2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.
    3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.
    4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.
    5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.
    6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor.

That's it. The repair utility, even if you use the wrong one, CAN NOT brick your Pre.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Ya, my only problem is with step 6. I'm willing to invest somewhere around 5 hours or so of work to get my data back if it's at all possible.
    I'm currently giving this one a try:

Palm Pre: Jan 2010 - ? - freesmartphone.org

Building a kernel with a limited initramfs. If I can get my file system mounted (or checked) and possibly SCP the data off, it would be totally worth my time. I hate to Doctor away some of the pictures I've snapped of my kids over the last few months
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    firefox double-posted with the quick-post. Been having that problem on Vbulliten boards all over the place. Keep forgetting to "go advanced"
    Last edited by Kaihmeyer; 05/13/2010 at 08:19 PM.
    Fixed your title, but I don't think I know enough help with your post.
    More than likely you will have to doctor which isn't that bad of a process.

How To Recover - WebOS Internals

The last step is a last resort.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Awesome, this is (nearly) exactly what I wanted, Abyssul. Now... how to initialize the network so I can SCP the files off

Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals

Is there a way to use novaterm to copy files?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaihmeyer View Post
    Awesome, this is (nearly) exactly what I wanted, Abyssul. Now... how to initialize the network so I can SCP the files off

Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals

Is there a way to use novaterm to copy files?
    If you are just looking for the data on the USB portion of your phone, it will remain intact through a webos doctor. That includes your pictures.
    Truthfully, when you doctor your phone you only look a few settings. If you didn't use Save/Restore, then you will lose your patches and homebrew.

Glad you found my post helpful.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Doh! last time I doctored wiped everything.

However, I think I found my problem, which Doctor probably won't fix right.

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device:/# mount /dev/mapper/store-root /mnt/root/
    root@palm-webos-device:/# cat /mnt/root/etc/fstab 
    # <filesystem>	<mount point>	<type>	<options>	<dump>	<pass>
    rootfs	/	ext3	ro,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime	1	1
    /dev/mapper/store-var	/var	ext3	noatime,data=writeback	0	0
    /dev/mapper/store-log	/var/log	ext3	noatime	0	0
    /dev/mapper/store-update	/var/lib/update	ext3	noauto,noatime	0	0
    proc	/proc	proc	defaults	0	0
    devpts	/dev/pts	devpts	mode=0620,gid=5	0	0
    tmpfs	/tmp	tmpfs	size=64M,mode=1777	0	0
    tmpfs	/var/run	tmpfs	size=16M,mode=1777	0	0
    tmpfs	/media/ram	tmpfs	defaults	0	0
    /dev/mapper/store-media	/media/internal	vfat	utf8,shortname=mixed	0	0
    root@palm-webos-device:/# mount -o utf8,shortname=mixed /dev/mapper/store-media /mnt/root/media/internal/ 
    root@palm-webos-device:/# rm -fr /mnt/root/media/internal/Music/
    rm: cannot remove '/mnt/root/media/internal/Music/Coldplay/Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends/07 - Viva La Vida.mp3': Read-only file system
    rm: cannot remove '/mnt/root/media/internal/Music/Coldplay/Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends': Read-only file system
    rm: cannot remove '/mnt/root/media/internal/Music/Coldplay': Read-only file system
    rm: cannot remove '/mnt/root/media/internal/Music': Read-only file system
    root@palm-webos-device:/# mount -o remount,rw /mnt/root/media/internal/
    root@palm-webos-device:/# rm -fr /mnt/root/media/internal/Music/
    rm: cannot remove '/mnt/root/media/internal/Music/Coldplay/Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends': Read-only file system
    rm: cannot remove '/mnt/root/media/internal/Music/Coldplay': Read-only file system
    rm: cannot remove '/mnt/root/media/internal/Music': Read-only file system
    If my vfat filesystem is corrupted, would it prevent my phone from booting? And would the Dr fix it, or re-format it? I'm really close to being certain that my problem is with the vfat filesystem on /dev/mapper/store-media .

This has become a problem that I'm not as worried about getting it fixed, as much as how I fix it. I'd like to see if I could fix it was a file system check, but when I run it, it behaves sort of funny:
    Code:
    root@palm-webos-device:/# ****.vfat /dev/mapper/store-media 
    dosfsck 3.0.2, 28 Feb 2009, FAT32, LFN
    There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
    Differences: (offset:original/backup)
      71:50/20, 72:41/20, 73:4c/20, 74:4d/20, 76:50/20, 77:52/20, 78:45/20
    1) Copy original to backup
    2) Copy backup to original
    3) No action
    ? 3
    /iTunes_Control
     Start does point to root directory. Deleting dir. 
    /Photos
    /Hymns
    /Children's Songbook
    /files
    /.app-storage
    /home
    /lds_pdfs
    /.myapp
    /Duke3D
    /.developer
    /Messaging
    /.palm
    /DCIM/100PALM
    /.Trash-500/files
    Reclaimed 48797 unused clusters (1598980096 bytes).
    Free cluster summary wrong (155804 vs. really 214101)
    1) Correct
    2) Don't correct
    ? 1
    Leaving file system unchanged.
    /dev/mapper/store-media: 600 files, 5007/219108 clusters
    root@palm-webos-device:/#
    I'm not sure what I should do with the boot sector, since I'm pretty sure it's not involved in actually booting anything. But when I tell it to correct the free cluster summary issue, it exits with out modifying the filesystem
    Personally, I would just doctor your phone before you dig a ditch you can't crawl out of.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    haha, Abyssul, I appreciate the warning. I feel more comfortable on the commandline than I do with the GUI. Worst case scenario is a WebOS Doctor. I want to play a little more before I do it.

So, from /var/log/messages, I'm finding that the store-log volume at least gets mounted, and I get this sort of log entry:
    Code:
    2010-05-13T17:19:22.079406Z [378466] palm-webos-device syslog.info pmsyslogd: {com.palm.wifi}: ------ Flushing ring buffer for user.err message ------
    2010-05-13T17:19:22.079254Z [378466] palm-webos-device user.err PmWiFiService: {com.palm.wifi}: Profile not selected, cannot change state to disassoci
    2010-05-13T17:19:22.152587Z [378466] palm-webos-device syslog.info pmsyslogd: {com.palm.wifi}: ------ Done flushing ------  
    2010-05-13T17:19:23.605590Z [378467] palm-webos-device kern.alert kernel: [378467.650000] sdio_readb returned error =0x0 for register 0x34
    2010-05-13T17:19:56.302581Z [378500] palm-webos-device user.notice powerd: {powerd}: sawmill_logger_update: raw_coulomb: 1011.250000 coulomb: 995.2000
    It repeats over and over again, I'm assuming for each time I pulled the battery. The one that worries me is the sdio_readb error. I don't know if it's a filesystem or block device error.

But the last boot sequence seems to have gotten through a whole lot more. I noticed that it runs:
    Code:
    **** -y /dev/mapper/store-media
    Ofcourse what's bleeped out is the linux command for checking filesystems, not a mispelled swear word. Going off my gut instinct that the problem is with the store-media volume, I decided to run it. Turns out this is probably my problem. It's been about 3 minutes. Connecting a second novaterm session, top shows that the filesystem check proccess is running 100% cpu. Now I'm convinced I know exactly what the problem is. The automated filesystem check on the store-media volume hangs.

I don't have much experience dealing with vfat filesystem issues. I started playing with Linux after ext3 was a standard.

If I can get the filesystem check to pass, I'm sure the phone would return to normal operation.

P.S.
    I found at least one of my issues. The ****.vfat manual says: "If -a and -r are absent, the file system is only checked, but not repaired."

So now I'm scared. Every file in the root of the filesystem is printed with the error "Start does not point to root directory. Deleting dir".

If I let the filesystem check delete those directories, I fear I am risking the deletion of the files I'm trying to save.

Because I can mount the filesystem, I want to see if I can disable the automatic filesystem check on that volume so I can copy the data off the device. If I could get networking working from the mini-OS I extracted from the webOS Doctor, and then copied off, I'd do it, and then Doctor the phone.

P.S.S. Sad news. It looks like the Photos I've been trying to save did get removed by the filesystem check. I must have really hosed the filesystem to put it in a state where the OS thinks the filesystem is completely destroyed. *sigh*

Now that the filesystem check passes, the phone boots properly, no issues. However, all my Photos, videos, and Preware apps are gone. Only a handful of files on my media volume escaped the mayham. I may Doctor it just to put it into a "known" good state, instead of a "Hey, it boots!" state.

Thanks for entertaining my insanity.
    Last edited by Kaihmeyer; 05/13/2010 at 11:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Shame you lost your photos. I used an application called FileSalvage on my Mac to recover a video that disappeared during the "disappearing video" fiasco. This sort of software is not cheap though.