Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    when I plug the USB chord into my computer, it goes straight to charging without giving me the option to choose USB mode. This is a new problem.... it occurs on my PC at home and on my Mac at work. They both used to read the USB chord everytime. I even replaced my phone thinking the problem was with my old phone!
  2. ltlruss's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlef1963 View Post
    when I plug the USB chord into my computer, it goes straight to charging without giving me the option to choose USB mode. This is a new problem.... it occurs on my PC at home and on my Mac at work. They both used to read the USB chord everytime. I even replaced my phone thinking the problem was with my old phone!
    While charging, there should be an icon in the notification area. If you click on that, you should be given the option to switch to usb mode...
  3. #3  
    there should be a little icon in the lower right corner that lets you switch between various modes. If you have the patch that turns off music sync, and are not in dev mode, it may not give you any other options because there wouldn't be anything else you can do.

    Can you clarify what patches you are running, whether you are in dev mode, etc? Not enough info in your post to help much...
  4. #4  
    do you have the just charge patch installed, also try orange button + sym key + u key = usb mode

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  5.    #5  
    I'm clearly less experience with my phone... I have not manually installed "patches" and am not sure what they are and do not know how to tell if I am in dev mode... can you still help??
  6.    #6  
    there is no icon....
  7. #7  
    see my post above, orange (grey for plus models) button + sym key + u key = usb mode

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  8.    #8  
    orange button + sym key + u key = usb mode

    tried it... nothing happened
  9. #9  
    sometimes your computer wont recognize the pre if u disconnected it wrong before. if that happens usually rebooting your computer will work. and if that is the case make sure every time u disconnect your pre that u do it through: my computer > then right click on palm pre > the select "eject"
  10. #10  
    Does the battery show a lightening bolt when it is plugged in? Had to replace my first Pre because the USB port stopped working.

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  11.    #11  
    yes there is a lightning bolt - and I just replaced the phone last week because I thought the problem was the phone itself - but this new one is doing the same thing - it works occasionally but 9 out of 10 times it goes straight to charge.
  12. #12  
    I have had this issue with mine as well, seems to be a problem with Novacom and Windows, rebooting my computer usually solves the problem for me.

    I have narrowed mine down to a problem with Vista starting and stopping the Novacom Service.

    Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

    Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
  13. #13  
    Hi,

    just by chance, have You tried another cable? USB has 4 connectors, 2 for power, 2 for data. If the contacts for data are faulty, no Computer will recognise USB.

    I had this 2 times with different USB cables (once power contacts were faulty, once data cable) so this is a hint that it is not too uncommon.
    So try another cable (especially when You have tested on 2 computers with 2 Palms)

    Regards
    Ralf
  14.    #14  
    thanks!! that might do it
  15. #15  
    just chiming in but are you sure you are not plugged into the wall outlet?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keimix View Post
    Hi,

    just by chance, have You tried another cable? USB has 4 connectors, 2 for power, 2 for data. If the contacts for data are faulty, no Computer will recognise USB.

    I had this 2 times with different USB cables (once power contacts were faulty, once data cable) so this is a hint that it is not too uncommon.
    So try another cable (especially when You have tested on 2 computers with 2 Palms)

    Regards
    Ralf
    Also Make sure that you use the "silver button" one that came with the Palm phone. There are MANY after market USB cables that will NOT work with the Palm phones. They will charge the phone but will not allow a data connection.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

    HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Also Make sure that you use the "silver button" one that came with the Palm phone. There are MANY after market USB cables that will NOT work with the Palm phones. They will charge the phone but will not allow a data connection.
    Conversely, the nice long "white" cable that came with my Amazon Kindle works just fine.

    Anyhoo, I would suggest trying a different cable, but it would be advisable to first take both the phone and the computer down to cold iron, then reboot both - that "should" take care of the problem, if not it may be the phone and a trip to your nearest corporate store for your provider might be in order. There have been phones with bad USB connectors.

Posting Permissions