1.    #1  
    So steam recently came out for mac users. and it is on the table to be released for linux as well. Is there any possibility that it could be ported to use on the palm pre? Cuz i could go for some HL2 on the move
    Steam is just a distribution mechanism. There isn't any such thing as "Steam" games, rather just games that are distributed via the Steam network. Any individual game would have to be ported to webOS to run on the Pre--an unlikely proposition for most desktop games.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  3.    #3  
    well my idea was is that steam isntalls the game depending on what os its running on. so i assume the install files/process would be different going from windows/mac/linux. so in theory it would install linux files on the linux machine.
    While Valve certainly could make games specifically for mobile devices, it is highly unlikely, and perhaps even impossible for them to port their existing (modern) games to a device like the Pre. The hardware used by today's mobile devices is simply not powerful enough to run source engine games. Even if they could, the game play experience would have to be stripped down so much that the game would hardly be recognizable. A touchscreen just isn't a good way to control a shooter. Porting a game like the original Half Life and its mods however, would be within the realm of possibility, because it was based off of the Quake engine (I think), which has already been made to run on the Pre.

Edit: It occurred to me that you may have been talking about porting steam itself to the Pre and using it as another method of distributing apps. If that's the case, I'm sure it could be done in some capacity, but I doubt Palm would let them release it through the official channels.
    Last edited by Armchair Commando; 05/13/2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: another thought
    I would imagine it to be possible, but I wouldn't expect it to ever appear in the App Catalog.

It would have to use a mechanism to install ipks, like what Preware does, which is a very large security hazard.

It also would simply copy the purposes of the App Store and the Palm Profile, so it's really not necessary in any degree.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    While Valve certainly could make games specifically for mobile devices, it is highly unlikely, and perhaps even impossible for them to port their existing (modern) games to a device like the Pre. The hardware used by today's mobile devices is simply not powerful enough to run source engine games. Even if they could, the game play experience would have to be stripped down so much that the game would hardly be recognizable. A touchscreen just isn't a good way to control a shooter. Porting a game like the original Half Life and its mods however, would be within the realm of possibility, because it was based off of the Quake engine (I think), which has already been made to run on the Pre.

Edit: It occurred to me that you may have been talking about porting steam itself to the Pre and using it as another method of distributing apps. If that's the case, I'm sure it could be done in some capacity, but I doubt Palm would let them release it through the official channels.
    this is more what i was going for. i could care less about steam on a whole. but getting good ole half-life to run on the pre would be awesome.
    haha this topic is funny. must be a joke.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    haha this topic is funny. must be a joke.
    sir?