Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This doesn't apply to the Pre specifically, but help me with this situation, if you can.

This deals with Google Calendar online, not the sync or mobile app...

I have 2 email addresses. I have 2 calendars. I have separate groups of people I want to share for each calendar.

Is it possible to have a different email address for each calendar, and still view it in one account?

Here is what I have tried:

1. I tried having 2 separate google accounts, with separate email addresses and separate calendars. I shared the 2 calendars between accounts, giving full rights to each account. However, I was only able to view the shared calendars of the primary account, not the shared calendar of the shared calendar.

2. I combined the 2 accounts, adding one email address into the other account and deleting the extra account. This didn't change anything.

3. After I had both email addresses on the same account, I created a new calendar, hoping it would give me the option of associated a specific email account with the new calendar. It didn't. It defaulted to the primary email.

So, what I am asking, is if there is a way to either view the shared calendars of a shared calendar, or chose a different email address for a secondary calendar. And is there a way to do all that without having to sign out and back in of different google accounts?

Sorry if this is confusing. I can answer any questions anyone has.
    I think this is what you are looking for, Share your calendar with specific users - Google Calendar Help

I used Google calendars, and share it with my 5 other family members and vise-versa. All viewed at once from my Gmail log-in. It also shows on my Pre just the same...

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    i have 3 google calanders and 3 gmail address -
    1 business
    2 personal
    3 family events

open the calender that is your "primary" on the left you should have a box that says my calender and below it one that has a box that says add a friends calander. -- enter your second calender / email address here -- it will send you an email that when you respond will allow you to display this calander in a different color along side the primary -- repeat for mult address -- if you repeat this at all of the address you will be able t o see all calendars from all locations --
    1 problem if you enter all of these calanders into the pre each one will display all the shared calendars and you will have many multiple entries -- the solution is to go into preferences and turn off the ones yu do not need

hope this makes sense

rob
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    or you could just follow the other posters lnk
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    I think this is what you are looking for, Share your calendar with specific users - Google Calendar Help

I used Google calendars, and share it with my 5 other family members and vise-versa. All viewed at once from my Gmail log-in. It also shows on my Pre just the same...
    Thanks for the reply, but that is not what I am asking. I know how to share with specific users, I want to know how to share with myself, so-to-speak. I have more than one email address and I want to be able to see both calendars from both email addresses in one view, and view the shared calendars of each email address.

Here is the deal...
    I have a personal calendar and a work calendar. I want only my wife to see my personal calendar, and I want my wife and my co-workers to see my work calendar. I have a personal email address and a work email address. I want to be able to see both calendars and view each calendar's shared calendars in one view.

It seems like I can do this if I just use one email address, but not for multiple email addresses (I can't use my work email address for my work calendar).
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i have 3 google calanders and 3 gmail address -
    1 business
    2 personal
    3 family events

open the calender that is your "primary" on the left you should have a box that says my calender and below it one that has a box that says add a friends calander. -- enter your second calender / email address here -- it will send you an email that when you respond will allow you to display this calander in a different color along side the primary -- repeat for mult address -- if you repeat this at all of the address you will be able t o see all calendars from all locations --
    1 problem if you enter all of these calanders into the pre each one will display all the shared calendars and you will have many multiple entries -- the solution is to go into preferences and turn off the ones yu do not need

hope this makes sense

rob
    I understand this, but I am unable to view the shared calendars of each account.

For instance, I log in as my personal account. I am able to see my shared calendar for work, but I am not able to view my work calendar's shared calendars (other co-workers).
    I have this set up, but it requires you to share the specific calendars you want across to the account where you want to view them all in one spot.

Google apps account:
    - Work Calendar

Personal gmail account:
    - Personal Calendar
    - Shared calendar between my wife and I

I have shared both of the personal gmail account calendars across to my google apps account, so I can view all 3 in one place. If one of the shared calendars you have, you do not own, the owner would need to either give you rights to share it or set up sharing access to the account that can't currently see that calendar.

Make sense?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    I understand this, but I am unable to view the shared calendars of each account.

For instance, I log in as my personal account. I am able to see my shared calendar for work, but I am not able to view my work calendar's shared calendars (other co-workers).
    ohh -- do you think that might be because they have only given your business account rights to look at the calender
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    I have this set up, but it requires you to share the specific calendars you want across to the account where you want to view them all in one spot.

Google apps account:
    - Work Calendar

Personal gmail account:
    - Personal Calendar
    - Shared calendar between my wife and I

I have shared both of the personal gmail account calendars across to my google apps account, so I can view all 3 in one place. If one of the shared calendars you have, you do not own, the owner would need to either give you rights to share it or set up sharing access to the account that can't currently see that calendar.

Make sense?
    Yes, thanks. I was hoping there was a work around that didn't require paying for Google Apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    Yes, thanks. I was hoping there was a work around that didn't require paying for Google Apps.
    Google apps is free, unless your number of users exceeds a set amount (I don't recall the number, but I think it's 25)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Google apps is free, unless your number of users exceeds a set amount (I don't recall the number, but I think it's 25)
    Where do you see this? I see that google calendar is free, but google apps is $50 per year.
    Whitenack,

Just to clarify what problem we are troubleshooting, since I am able to do what I think you are looking for:

Forgetting the Pre for a moment, are you able to see the shared calendar info properly on the web? So when you are in your primary email account and go to that calendar, you see the shared info from the other calendar(s) you want to see?

If you can see the shared calendars properly in gcal, then it is likely a setting within the Pre cal.

If you can't see the shares properly online, then it may be a permission issue or a setting. If you have permission (you or they shared it with this email address) then make sure you have it "selected" in the calendar settings. The small calendar listing on the left side of the main gmail calendar settings allows you to basically turn off or hide any calendar at any given time. If everything else is set correctly and the calendar is not selected, you won't be able to see the entries in gcal or on the Pre.

There are two sections where you can tweak cal settings. One is where you share it with others, show it in the list, etc - the primary settings. The other is the small listing in the left column in gcal, that allows you to click on each shared calendar. Clicking on them shows/hides the entries.

Let us know if this fits anything you see.
    Last edited by retirecom; 05/13/2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Adding more detail.
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    I use google apps for my domain, including email. Free. All I paid was the domain registration free. The email, cal and web site, all free. Details mined for data by google, no doubt, but free.
    Quote Originally Posted by retirecom View Post
    Whitenack,

Just to clarify what problem we are troubleshooting, since I am able to do what I think you are looking for:

Forgetting the Pre for a moment, are you able to see the shared calendar info properly on the web? So when you are in your primary email account and go to that calendar, you see the shared info from the other calendar(s) you want to see?

If you can see the shared calendars properly in gcal, then it is likely a setting within the Pre cal.

If you can't see the shares properly online, then it may be a permission issue or a setting. If you have permission (you or they shared it with this email address) then make sure you have it "selected" in the calendar settings. The small calendar listing on the left side of the main gmail calendar settings allows you to basically turn off or hide any calendar at any given time. If everything else is set correctly and the calendar is not selected, you won't be able to see the entries in gcal or on the Pre.

There are two sections where you can tweak cal settings. One is where you share it with others, show it in the list, etc - the primary settings. The other is the small listing in the left column in gcal, that allows you to click on each shared calendar. Clicking on them shows/hides the entries.

i think his issue in a nutshell is that he has shared 2 of his calendars and his co workers have shared with one of these 2 calendars -- he wants to see all of his and his co-workers events from the personal account but i do not think this is possible with out getting the coworkers to give him rights to their calendars -- if they give him rights he could share all of the shared calanders from 1 account to the other

have you tried to share the co-workers calanders by clicking on the arrow to the right of the title bar for their calendar in your work calander?
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by retirecom View Post
    Whitenack,

Thanks for the reply. The issue is not with the Pre (I don't have one yet), the issue is with Google Calendar. So, to answer the question, the trouble is with how I see it online.

Here is what I have and what I am seeing...

I have a personal email address and a personal calendar. I have another email for work related stuff and a work related calendar. I share each calendar with various people. Even if I share the personal calendar and work calendar between my two email addresses, I am only able to see those two calendars, and only the shared calendars of the primary email address I am in. In other words, if I am in my personal account, I am only able to view my work calendar and the other calendars I am sharing with on my personal account. I am unable to view the calendars I am sharing on my other account. When I log into my other account, the roles are reversed. I am able to see the personal calendar, and all the calendars I am sharing on the work-related account, but I am unable to view the calendars that are sharing with my personal account.

The only thing I have gotten to work is to ditch the work account and put it all in my personal account. The problem with this is that it isn't using my work-related email address.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i think his issue in a nutshell is that he has shared 2 of his calendars and his co workers have shared with one of these 2 calendars -- he wants to see all of his and his co-workers events from the personal account but i do not think this is possible with out getting the coworkers to give him rights to their calendars -- if they give him rights he could share all of the shared calanders from 1 account to the other
    yes, this is it in a nutshell. I don't want my co-workers to share to my personal account, I'd prefer them to share with my work account.

have you tried to share the co-workers calanders by clicking on the arrow to the right of the title bar for their calendar in your work calander?
    Yes, all the sharing is (I believe) correct. When I am in my work account, I see all of their calendars fine. However, when I go to my personal account, I am only able to see my work calendar. This makes since, because when you share something you are only sharing with that person, not everyone that person shares with. However, in this case, that other person is also me, hahah.

I see now that there is a Google Apps Standard Edition, which seems to be free. I didn't see that before. I'll try that out and see what I can find.
    Agreed, mespiff's solution is the solution - ask them share the calendar to your non-work email address, if possible.

However, the good news is that even if they choose not to share it with your non-work email, once you get your Pre, you will be able to see all the calendars in the same view!
    At a fundamental level Google's system doesn't (and shouldn't) know that both of the accounts in question belong to the same person (you) and there is no way for you to tell Google's system that you in fact are responsible for both accounts.

Keeping that in mind it should be simple to understand why Google can not let an account "re-share" a calendar to another account. "Re-sharing" that calendar would be robbing the owner of that calendar of the right of controlling to whom their calendar is shared.

The proper way of addressing this situation is to have you colleagues share their calendars with your personal account as well as your business account. While I understand why you think you want to not involve having to ask them to go to the effort to do this I HOPE you understand why, fundamentally, most of us would be appalled if Google's system allowed what you are contemplating. If Google's system let you re-share a calendar with your other account, it would naturally let you re-share that calendar with ANY Google account. How would you feel if it were possible for your colleague to share your calender with me without you having control over that?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    At a fundamental level Google's system doesn't (and shouldn't) know that both of the accounts in question belong to the same person (you) and there is no way for you to tell Google's system that you in fact are responsible for both accounts.

Keeping that in mind it should be simple to understand why Google can not let an account "re-share" a calendar to another account. "Re-sharing" that calendar would be robbing the owner of that calendar of the right of controlling to whom their calendar is shared.

The proper way of addressing this situation is to have you colleagues share their calendars with your personal account as well as your business account. While I understand why you think you want to not involve having to ask them to go to the effort to do this I HOPE you understand why, fundamentally, most of us would be appalled if Google's system allowed what you are contemplating. If Google's system let you re-share a calendar with your other account, it would naturally let you re-share that calendar with ANY Google account. How would you feel if it were possible for your colleague to share your calender with me without you having control over that?
    Yes, I understand what you are saying, and I completely agree. However, Google DOES know that I am the same person. If you go into your Google account, and click on My Account, you can actually add a secondary email address, which I have done. So, both my email addresses are a part of my google account. At first I had it set up as 2 separate google accounts, but when that didn't work I deleted my 2nd google account and combined the emails on one.

I guess I was hoping Google could recognize both emails on my account and let me set up calendars using either one.
    havin a google apps account isn't required, that's just my situation. you could have two gmail accounts and accompliah the same thing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast