1.    #1  
    I recently (7 days ago haha) bought the palm pre plus on verizon and just absolutely love it!! I had 2 blackberry devices before, a pearl and tour, and neither compare to the palm pre in my opinion!! I just got hooked on webos as soon as a tried it out, even more so than the droid software. Anyways I'm still figuring everything out, however I can seem to figure out what the circle next to the persons name above either left or rigt arrow in messaging means. And only a couple of my contacts have this. An someone explain why it's there? I tried searching the forum but found nothing, so sorry if it was already posted. Thank you!
    Welcome! Is it green or red? If so, it tells you when they are available or away on aim or google talk.
    It's the IM status notifyer for these contacts and means that you can have IM conversations with them; you probably entered their GTalk or Y!M info or had it all sync from your GMail or Y!Mail account(s).

If you call up your Messaging app, you have two tabs - Conversations and Buddies. In Buddies, you can set your own IM status - offline, idle, or online. Once you're online, well, that means you're signed into whatever IM systems you are using, and will see your online buddies. The little circles will then assume a color according to your friends' statuses - green if they're online, and I forget what else there is because I barely use IMs these days

Being online for IMs all the time is a major battery drain for some while others don't notice much of a difference. Mileages vary. You'll have to find yours out for yourself.
    yeah what he said lol. welcome to webos though! glad you like it