1.    #1  
    Can anyone else confirm if they were having issues with this patch. Had massive battery drain. As soon as I removed patch, went back to normal.
    I have the patch that removes that battery icon and replaces it with the battery percentage. The patch always reports the wrong percentage, so I guess I can say you're right about the battery drain issue.
    Is this **** true?
    If it is...Boy oh boy, that is the last thing I would have expected to be draining my battery.

I actually stopped using 800MHz because I thought it was that causing the massive battery drain. The battery still sucks away but not as bad as before.

I know WebOS isn't that great with battery life, but when I was stock 500MHz and no patches, the battery didn't suck this much, and that's with 3G and GPS on. Even at 500MHz now with patches, still sucks.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I don't know if these battery patches are actually draining the device quicker, or we just see it move down every % point so it seems faster.

I use the patch, and at night when I turn off Data I get <1% battery drain per hour. During the day my battery disappears quickly during use, but its due to all the data being transferred over EVDO
    I think I'm going to have to agree that this is a cause. One night I went to bed and it went from 98% down to 86% the next morning. I removed it and changed to a different patch after reading this forum and my battery went from 100% to 98% overnight. Huge difference.
    There are a couple of these patches, which particular one are you seeing drain with? I have the horizontal version...
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Can you guys install Battery Monitor (it's in Preware) and get some conclusive #s? Shooting from the hip and saying x is causing y can tick off developers of x especially when there is no hard evidence and lead to poor rumors. (This guy read this somewhere about that being crap kind of rumors.) You'd just need to post the drain per hour after letting it sit, no touching, for an hour or 2. (could try leaving it over night for 2 nights.)

Thanks in advanced!
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    Can you guys install Battery Monitor (it's in Preware) and get some conclusive #s? Shooting from the hip and saying x is causing y can tick off developers of x especially when there is no hard evidence and lead to poor rumors. (This guy read this somewhere about that being crap kind of rumors.) You'd just need to post the drain per hour after letting it sit, no touching, for an hour or 2. (could try leaving it over night for 2 nights.)

Thanks in advanced!
    That was kind of my point above, as I have been using Battery Monitor to get the best combination of settings to make my phone last the night while being off the charger. I've been using the jason's Battery Icon % patch for a long time now.

If I turn off Data and leave the phone alone all night, I lose maybe 2-3% over the entire night (<1% per hour). If there was a battery drain with this patch, i should still have a noticeable battery drain during these hours.
    I think in at least some cases, people are SEEING their loss where they didn't see it with the standard battery icon.

Unless there is extra code in the patch, the patch itself should not effect battery life very much, if at all. And I too have been running battery as percent for over 6 months now.... I can verify it is my other activity on the phone that drains the battery... not the patch. My phone has been off the charger for 6 hours now, and it's not the patch that has me down to 50%.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwing94 View Post
    I think I'm going to have to agree that this is a cause. One night I went to bed and it went from 98% down to 86% the next morning. I removed it and changed to a different patch after reading this forum and my battery went from 100% to 98% overnight. Huge difference.
    Why not actually share which patch you moved to?
    There is always room for improved battery life on any smartphone, Pre included. The bottom line is that Palm should have used a better battery other than the 1150maH Centro battery. Most other smartphones have batteries than the Pre, so for the Pre to last as long as it does already on a battery with all the capabilities it has, is amazing.

I am not upset that Palm used Centro batteries, since I have a Centro now and have three batteries ready to go for my Sunday arriving ATT Pre Plus.
    I don't see how such a patch can cause any sort of battery drain.

Isn't the battery indication icon is merely a graphical representation of the battery level reported to the OS? That is, it puts up a picture of a full battery for 100%-80% or a picture of a half battery for 40%-60%, for example.

So, all the patch does is replace those battery pictures with pictures of numbers to match the actual percentage, a process the UI is already doing. There's no additional code running in that situation, so where would a battery drain come from?

Can anyone confirm this or am I completely off?
  13.    #13  
    I will do as request using the battery monitor so I can give numbers for those who 'wont believe it without a pic'. There was more drain and no.....it wasn't because I could watch it go down versus a graphical representation. I hope the problem duplicates itself using the battery monitor. There is always a chance that it may not come back.

I just want to say this.....I am smart enough to know there was definately an issue with battery drain. Was it the patch or something else.....unsure. Thats why I asked if anyone else experienced so I didn't have to troubleshoot my self as I have been very busy. But to make the forum happy, I will
    If you really think it's the patch.... and you really are going to test this.... I would suggest next time you see what you think is unusual battery drain, to restart the phone.... you probably have something still running in the background....
    Don't forget that the percent is the GUI mapping of the battery, so it will always be four percent HIGHER than what is shown in battery monitor.
    The patch polls the current GUI percentage so it does require more battery since it increases the CPU workload. The only way to create a correlation is to remove all variables that are uncontrollable. This is a basic experiment that you do for science or any other research.

I'm interested in seeing the results though. Could help prove if this is a figment of the imagination or that the patch actually polls so much that it has a significant decrease in battery life.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.