Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am about to switch over to the Palm Pre. I am an android user and I am not crazy about the way Sprint is handling that particular device at this time. I have read a lot of reviews and played with the phone and I really like what I have experienced so far.

What I would like to know is what you all think about it (do not be biased) since you actively use it on a regular basis. Is it worth switching from Android?

My biggest concern are the apps that are available as well as battery life.
    You mad about the 2.1 rollout?

If you have the ability to give webOS a shot (without too much financial investment), you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying it.

I'm really happy with the apps. Esp having all the homebrew ones. The only app that I currently really want is one from my bank, and that's only out for the Iphone. Their website works fine though.

I don't find the battery life too bad, but I have 2 touchstones one in my house and one in my car, so it's on and off a charger all day. I have no trouble going all day at work either.
    well, sprint has a EVO 4G out in a month, that one is pretty attractive with front camera and 4G video conferencing.

You just have to play with it for yourself to decide, there are few people who are knowledgeable about both android and Pre.
    Welcome..and remember every phone as their faults. you have made a good decision. Feel free to ask question when their seem to be a problem.
    Also give us your situation, have you already used your upgrade on the andriod phone? Or is it within the first 30 days? That makes all the difference.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    You mad about the 2.1 rollout?

If you have the ability to give webOS a shot (without too much financial investment), you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying it.

I'm really happy with the apps. Esp having all the homebrew ones. The only app that I currently really want is one from my bank, and that's only out for the Iphone. Their website works fine though.

I don't find the battery life too bad, but I have 2 touchstones one in my house and one in my car, so it's on and off a charger all day. I have no trouble going all day at work either.
    Not mad about 2.1....i could care less. I rooted my Android and loaded a custom 2.1 ROM. I am all about the multitasking.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I used an Moment on Sprint for about 3 weeks before switching to the Pre. My driving reason was the need to sync all Outlook programs--calendar, tasks, and notes (not exchange) on my phone, and I didn't want all my contacts, etc. on google. If you want all three apps and you use Outlook (non-exchange), you might want to reconsider the Android.

The only app I miss is Shop Savvy, and my husband has a Moment, so he tracks whatever I want.

I'm an old Palm user from way back, and I sincerely hope they stay alive. I think WebOS has great unrecognized potential, and Palm has really always been ahead of the curve (maybe too far out!!).

The Palm is lightweight and fits in my pocket, and I have not had any hardware problems so far.

If you decide, be sure to stop by RadioShack to get a Keystone charger on sale!!
  8.    #8  
    Also give us your situation, have you already used your upgrade on the andriod phone? Or is it within the first 30 days? That makes all the difference.

I actually started service 3 months ago and am about to add a 2nd line to my account which I would use to purchase a device. Since the Nexus One is no longer an option and the EVO is way to big for my taste I imagine the Pre is the next best thing.

It just seems like Palm is going to take off with 3 carriers selling the Pre/Pixi
    In that case I'd buy a EVO, ebay it, then buy a Pre pocketing the profits. With the Pre selling for 100-150 on a 2 year contract, and one selling new or slightly used for under 200 (off contract) on Craigs or Ebay, it seems like you're not getting much of a subsidy.
  10.    #10  
    In that case I'd buy a EVO, ebay it, then buy a Pre pocketing the profits. With the Pre selling for 100-150 on a 2 year contract, and one selling new or slightly used for under 200 (off contract) on Craigs or Ebay, it seems like you're not getting much of a subsidy.
    Your right about that. The only issue is that I do not plan to sell the Hero...I am doing a phone shuffle and giving it to the wife. I am going to get something else which is why I am researching the Pre.
    I've never had an Android, but if you're all about the multitasking as you say. You should give the Pre a good look.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  12.    #12  
    How about battery life? It seems one of the most important questions I have is going unanswered.
    get the 1400 battery and the external charger so you cn swap them. Especially at first when you lay with it 24 hours a day...
    Quote Originally Posted by epylejr View Post
    How about battery life? It seems one of the most important questions I have is going unanswered.
    the battery life isnt great. i've never owned a hero, so i can't compare to that, but with the Pre you're lucky to get through the day. If you're like me and you can't keep your hands off of your pre, u'll drain it in a few hours. In school, i've resorted to bringing my charger to class..
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Got youtube? Hit up 'pre' or 'iphone vs pre' or 'android vs pre' or 'pre multi tasking'

And ask yourself somethings can you live with the keyboard?
    Would you be angry if two months later a pre+ hit sprint?(or new device)
    Do you need voice commands?
    Do you need your phone to stop a bullet?
    i traded my droid for a palm pre.

things i love.

the touchstone. whats not to love about this. so easy. better than the dock for the droid.

webos is nice. the ui is easier. and that makes the browser way easier to use, you can open up multiple cards of the browser. though i wish it would reformat the text like it does on android. when you zoomed in on the droid it would resize the text column to fit the width of the screen. that way you dont have to scroll left and scroll right to read it.

hardware - i like the keyboard and the neat keyboard shortcuts on the pre. and i really don't miss the droid software keyboard, and i definately don't miss the droid's flat keyboard. the pre looks cooler than the droid, rounded and smooth and well put together.

there are better games on webos, the games for android is pretty lame.

it's getting flash like android is, and from all accounts it runs smoother on palm.

things i don't like.

it's missing a few apps i liked from android. namely waze, shazam.

hardware - the screen is plastic. it worries me that it will get scratched. i haven't scratched it yet though.

eats more battery than the droid. though even on a really long day i'll still have at least 50% power or so.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The stock bat is a bit weak when using the pre to it's full abilities, but if you don't mind fat pre without touchstone abilities you have options up to 3800mah. FYI stock bat is 1150mah.
    Last edited by bdog421; 05/12/2010 at 11:34 PM.
    The Pre has 5 hours of talk time and the Hero has 7.

5 hours is on par with most Blackberries if you wanted a comparison.
    Twitter: @Eddie255
    more on battery life.

i am a light user of the phone. i take it off charge at about 6 am and don't get back to a charger till around 5-8 pm

usually with my droid i would end up with 90-80% battery for the end of the day not hardly even using it. just during lunch a bit. and with the pre it's usually on 70-60% at the end of a similar day.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I am about to switch over to the Palm Pre. I am an android user and I am not crazy about the way Sprint is handling that particular device at this time. I have read a lot of reviews and played with the phone and I really like what I have experienced so far.
    I am a relatively new and extremely satisfied Pre User - also on Sprint - so I don't have as much to offer as other longer-term Pre-ites but here is my .02.

Like you, I read a lot of reviews and what sold me ultimately was going into local stores and playing with it. The OS and user interface is so simple, elegant and just plain fun that it was literally light-years more enjoyable than the stodgy but relatively faithful old Blackberries I used for years.

Incidentally, I've also played around quite a bit with iPhones - which my friends have - and different models of Android phones. iPhones are fun to play around with. The big problem for me is AT&T - I was a long-term AT&T user and their consistently high prices, gouging, extra charges and relatively abysmal customer service made me jump ship some time ago - and everyone I know who still has AT&T service - including a lot of iPhone users - regularly complain about the shortcomings of AT&T, both pricewise, service-wise and coverage-wise.

What I would like to know is what you all think about it (do not be biased) since you actively use it on a regular basis. Is it worth switching from Android?
    The operating system - the OS - WebOS - is what it's all about. It's fun, efficient, productive, elegant and intuitive. Android phones aren't really any of those things. I'm a fairly technically-minded person - aka a geek and almost a nerd - so technology and apps and learning curves don't scare me - but in the time I spent playing around with different Android phones, I wound up feeling that most of the operation of Apps was hit and miss, all over the place. Not so with WebOS and Pre Apps - almost everything I've tried has been easy and intuitive.

In a way and it's not a bad metaphor - though the Windows and Vista OS's are much more user-friendly than they used to be - years ago the earlier Windows OS's were clunky and complicated and frustrating - when you compared them to the early Mac OS's which, in spite of some problems, were always easier to use, more integrated, and in a word...more fun.

Most of my friends who use and like Android phones are hard core techies or geeks who really enjoy the challenge of mastering complex stuff. If you're willing to put in the time and master a learning curve, Android can be very customizable.

But Pre's and powerful easy intuitive productive and fun right out of the box....in ways that no Android phone comes close to.

iPhones are good in this respect too BTW....but not anywhere near as cool, elegant, integrated or functional as the Pre/WebOS experience.

And Blackberries....well....you have to work at them. You get rewarded by relatively consistent operations - reliability - and suberb email/messaging Apps - but apart from that, their OS feels dated, clunky and almost as antiquated as the equally reliable but clunky Symbian OS for Nokia phones.

It's all about the OS - and Pre's are fun and productive because a lot of smart people put a lot of thought and creative design into the OS

My biggest concern are the apps that are available as well as battery life.
    I've heard this too. So far, in my first week of use, I've definitely noticed that the batteries wear out more than on my first and oldest Blackberry. But on the other hand....I'm doing a LOT more with the phone - and using it a LOT more, in many more processor-intensive ways, than I ever used my BB (mainly for just email management and messaging, very little web stuff since the blackberry browsers were so antiquated).

So I'm buying another battery to have on hand as a backup. That's my personal solution to the "problem".

And to put the battery question in perspective, I was in a large Verizon store the other day - to buy a superb Verizon-branded Pre hard-case - and I had an interesting conversation with an Agent/Rep who admitted that, on their current "hot" Android phone, the HTC Incredible.....the battery life pretty much sucks. I think the truth is if you have a media-capable smartphone - and you enjoy using it or playing around with it - you're going to wear your battery down a lot faster than if you just use it for calls, emails and the occasional text message.

So, yes, my Pre doesn't have the best battery life of any smartphone I've owned. But it charges quickly - and the one-piece Touchstone chargers (on sale for astoundingly cheap firesale prices at many Radio Shacks right now) make charging and recharging not only easy....but fun.

Bottom line: the best phone for you....or me.....is whichever phone is most productive for each of us as individuals. I can't say whether or not it's the right phone for you. All I can say is that....it's far and away the best 'smartphone' I've ever used or owned.

Miguel

Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    and occasionally Guadalajara
    FrankenPre PRE 2 on Sprint (in USA)
    Original PRE on Telcel (en Mexico)
    Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast