1.    #1  
    Or cancel my account. If I were to upgrade to a certain HTC phone this summer what happens to my pre?

I read that Sprint will give credit for devices when making a new phone purchase, but what if I want to hang on to it, what will it do?

Obviously no data or voice, but could i still play all the games I have or use it it as a wifi based MID? A camera? a GPS?

Possibly a VOIP handset or a remove for VLC....

Or is it going to become a brick once its no longer linked to an active account?
    Anything you can do over wifi now. Just don't erase it, because you need phone service to activate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Anything you can do over wifi now. Just don't erase it, because you need phone service to activate it.
    so, basically if I leave my phone alone, and just have the number ported to another phone, the Pre will essentially function like a PDA? Nifty.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    If you ever have to doctor though, use Meta Doctor to bypass the activation. Basically the Pre turns into a Wifi PDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    so, basically if I leave my phone alone, and just have the number ported to another phone, the Pre will essentially function like a PDA? Nifty.
    Yes. You can do everything besides calling, sms, MMS, and certain carrier-specific apps (like Sprint TV).

You can even still buy apps from the official catalog
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    More like PDA+iPod Touch + NintendoDS, etc...
    I don't really get why you would even still use the Pre if you decide you're better off going with a "certain HTC device". What specifically would YOU want to use the Pre for? I guess maybe the 3D gaming is better on the Pre, but overall its not like you're gonna switch over to your wifi only Pre to use synergy or cards view multitasking throughout your day. If I end up switching (which I'm not planning to right now), its because I truly think another phone is better than the Pre and that will be my one and only phone/pda/etc.
    be sure to use the patch that disables radio. I switched activation from my sister's pixi to a different phone(so I could get the contacts off of it) and every 3 seconds a popup appeared saying that the phone could not establish a data connection. you can always log on to sprint.com/activate, and switch activation of your phones within 30 seconds, for free. just put in the ESN of the old and new phone, and viola, instantly switched. this would allow you to get a different phone, like that certain htc phone, and just before the phone dies because of its certain spotlight feature's tendancy to kill the battery, you can open the web browser and switch activation back to your pre for the rest of the day
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
    I'm not sure I would believe that "certain HTC phone" would have worse battery life than the Pre, though that huge screen may cause that to be true, but thanks for the info on switching activation between phones! Seems like that could be useful if I went somewhere that could be potentially risky to my Pre!
    Worst case scenario: it would make a handy paperweight.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    You can make an illustrious youtube video of yourself doing something bizarre to it.
    My Palm Pre Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    How much can you sell it to Sprint for?
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Worst case scenario: it would make a handy paperweight.
    Too light and slick for a paperweight, that's what the Samsung Moment is for. We have two Pixis, two Pres and a Moment which is now referred to in our house as "The Brick".
  14.    #14  
    schnoid makes a good point which I have been considering. I have my Pre on my all the time, I can't imagine I'd bother keeping it charged up and need it for anything if I replace it with something comparable or better in the future.

I had thought I could hang on to it as a backup but I was talking to the guy in the Sprint store today about trade in value. He didn't know the figure but told me it would probably me in the $80-120 range.

If you normally upgrade every 2 years at a cost of ~200 this opens some interesting probabilities now that Sprint has their new preferred customer program + the trade in program could mean you spend about $100 a year and stay current.

.....if only Palm had something new out.
    so what will they give you for the pre? Let me guess EVO CRAZY, me too. Its not that I hate my pre its just because I love gadgets more.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I plan to hold on to mine too so I can still follow the evolution of webOS.