1.    #1  
    I left my Pre on the TS *this morning with zcorder recording a program on RadioTime. I had Govnah open set to Performance at 600Mhz which has worked fine for me so far with the Uberkernel.*
    So after about 25 minutes I pick up the phone and it's very hot, so I glance at Govnah and it's reading 49C. Whoa!! So I shut everything down, turn it back down to 500Mhz and let it sit for a while to cool off. Whew! That was a scare. Has anyone overheated to the point of damage?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I've seen Govnah up to 53 degrees when on the TS.
    I don't know how long it was at that temp but I took it off when I noticed.
    Pre is still fine.
    yes, caj has fried a pre before.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I haven't heard of anyone overheating and causing damage. However i've heard many stories of the TS causing overheating issues.
  5.    #5  
    Well now I know not to have too many things running while on the TS.

Nothing fried. However there is a guy on You Tube that blended one...
    Quote Originally Posted by the.teejster View Post
    I've seen Govnah up to 53 degrees when on the TS.
    I don't know how long it was at that temp but I took it off when I noticed.
    Pre is still fine.
    That is supposedly too hot to be safe. I generally don't use the touchstone when I'm using the phone heavily. In the car I turn off the radios as much as I can. When the alarm patch tells me it's 45 deg, I take it off the touchstone and hold it up to the air conditioning vents... Someday we should all figure out how to mount the TS permanently in front of the vent...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That is supposedly too hot to be safe. I generally don't use the touchstone when I'm using the phone heavily. In the car I turn off the radios as much as I can. When the alarm patch tells me it's 45 deg, I take it off the touchstone and hold it up to the air conditioning vents... Someday we should all figure out how to mount the TS permanently in front of the vent...
    Agreed. I live in S. FL and now that the summer temps are closing in, I can barely use my TS in the car anymore. I prefer to drive with the windows down rather than using the AC all the time. Now I have to keep the windows up and the AC blasting for the TS. Especially if I'm on the phone with the BT. I would definitely buy a kit to mount it in front of a vent.
    I had my TS mounted above the ventd and I would often reach temps of 47 to 51 but now that I have it mounted on a vent I hardly get over 45.
  10.    #10  
    The PreII should have a micro fan ventilation system. Lol

seriously, one of the developers of the overclock kernal at one point suspended development because he took his pre to a trusted source who relayed that it had indeed been fried by the overclock. His conclusion was early processors could not take the abuse ones produced later could. There is a thread here somewhere...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    57 deg on the Touchstone and left in the car. Still alive and working fine. Now I almost had a heart attack.

Quick note to self. Never go into a store for a 1 min run with you mom.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    seriously, one of the developers of the overclock kernal at one point suspended development because he took his pre to a trusted source who relayed that it had indeed been fried by the overclock. His conclusion was early processors could not take the abuse ones produced later could. There is a thread here somewhere...
    I'll have to look, but, if I remember right, it fried without the O/C. He was reloading it and it fried because of the amount of aps he was downloading. I think that's where the warning that if you dr or get a new phone, you should put the phone in airplane mode every once in a while to let it cool down while downloading your aps...
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    57 deg on the Touchstone and left in the car. Still alive and working fine. Now I almost had a heart attack.

Quick note to self. Never go into a store for a 1 min run with you mom.
    Get the temp warning patch. I think it will automatically shut off the phone when it hits 50 deg.
    Quote Originally Posted by ltlruss View Post
    I'll have to look, but, if I remember right, it fried without the O/C. He was reloading it and it fried because of the amount of aps he was downloading. I think that's where the warning that if you dr or get a new phone, you should put the phone in airplane mode every once in a while to let it cool down while downloading your aps...
    Yep, it was probably because they were downloading a BUNCH of 3-D games which are huge and really heat up the radio. If someone just left a phone on the touchstone and let it download games for a really long time, I'd expect the paint to melt off the battery cover...

When I replaced my phone, I started by uninstalling the 3-D games from the old phone. That way they didn't automatically download - just for this very reason, even though the new phone wasn't yet running an overclocked kernel.

Since the palm profile remembers I bought the games, I was able to go into the app catalog and download them "for free" when I was prepared to have a big download and I could watch things like temperature... and I definitely didn't have it on the Touchstone when I was doing that...

I recommend that people uninstall (orange+tap) 3-D games or other large programs before doctoring to keep control of when they are re-installed. This is also true for anyone that has purchased a bunch of apps, because 50 small apps will work the radio as much as a big 3-D game...

I hope this helps!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Yep, it was probably because they were downloading a BUNCH of 3-D games which are huge and really heat up the radio. If someone just left a phone on the touchstone and let it download games for a really long time, I'd expect the paint to melt off the battery cover...

When I replaced my phone, I started by uninstalling the 3-D games from the old phone. That way they didn't automatically download - just for this very reason, even though the new phone wasn't yet running an overclocked kernel.

Since the palm profile remembers I bought the games, I was able to go into the app catalog and download them "for free" when I was prepared to have a big download and I could watch things like temperature... and I definitely didn't have it on the Touchstone when I was doing that...

I recommend that people uninstall (orange+tap) 3-D games or other large programs before doctoring to keep control of when they are re-installed. This is also true for anyone that has purchased a bunch of apps, because 50 small apps will work the radio as much as a big 3-D game...

I hope this helps!
    Good advice!

I havent even come close to fryin my pre. but it does get kinda toasty when i take it off the TS
    My Pre hits 45 all the time when I'm using it for Pandora and other data-based apps while connected to the wall charger. I've had it running at 50 for a few hours with mobile hotspot on and connected to the wall.

I used to get worried, but now I feel like this is just normal because I'm not using any overclocking or other performance tweaks that Palm doesn't approve of.
    Does TI have a thermal threshold rating for these chips? To me, 50C at load sounds like an icicle. When I got my first laptop, I ran folding@home almost nonstop for about six months and the processor stayed at 100C +/- 5 the entire time. Never got any errors.
    Sprint FrankenPre 2
    webOS 2.2.4
    Verizon donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Assimilator87 View Post
    Does TI have a thermal threshold rating for these chips? To me, 50C at load sounds like an icicle. When I got my first laptop, I ran folding@home almost nonstop for about six months and the processor stayed at 100C +/- 5 the entire time. Never got any errors.
    I agree, 50C at load is nothing for a typical mobile or desktop CPU. The core 2 duo in my desktop is rated to 72C. Having said that, I have reached temps of 51C at 500 Mhz, while running GPS Nav, Pandora, and Trapster at the same time, in addition to all of the background email downloading, etc. Because of this, I'll always clock it back down to 500 Mhz when I am using the radio heavily. The 800 Mhz OC is great for very light use, but I think it's dangerous for heavy use.