1.    #1  
    I've been trying to connect my ds to the pre plus hoyspot to no avail. The pre plus will show that the ds conencts for a few seconds then I get a notification on the pre that says nintendo ds disconnected. Has anyone been successful in connecting the ds to the internet via the mobile hotspot and if so how did you get it to wor. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!
    nope same goes with the ps3 and the xbox 360 I'm not sure about the Wii
    do you use wpa2 on your hotspot, the ds can't use wpa only wep (that's why i never bought one). so you could try to connect without any security, because the hotspot can't use wep (and rightly so, a student at my university wrote the programm to crack wep in less than 2 minutes).

but doing so would be a high security risk in my eyes.

/edit, ok the new DSi can use wpa/wpa2 but most games won't work,because they still use wep in there proprietary wlan moduls
    DSI worked fine with Hotspot for me the other day, as did a PSP, with security turned off. I haven't tried them with security on. {Jonathan}
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Should work with security disabled. The decision to do this should be based on the environment you are in but the Pre radio is not so strong that you have to worry substantially about inadvertent access.
    Dan
    Can this work for XBox 360 also?
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I was able to connect my Wii to my hotspot, just did it as a test tho, but I was able to use net functions.
    I also did a test on my PC, I played a whole game (about 45 minutes) of Heroes of Newearth, a couple of times I had some lag, but the rest of the game played fine. When the game was over my battery went from 80% to 18%.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    For sure be aware this will EAT your battery. You are loading up both the WIFI and the 3G radios.

I think hotspot, when used to support a gaming platform, must be on a phone that is "plugged in". The battery just will not last.

A good example of it's use. In the car with the kids so they can connect online to play their portable games. Kids' ipod touch when not home, etc. Now, if i was using it to provide wifi to my laptop I would also ensure the phone had a power source other than battery.

Enjoy
    Dan
  9.    #9  
    I tried with the security off an the DS connects then disconnects, I'm not sure what's going on.
    Bumping instead of making a new thread.

The hotspot app will show the DS connects for a few seconds and then it disconects. Likewise on the DS it will show 3 bars as the wireless signal for a few seconds, and then it drops to 0 bars.

The entire reason I got the mobile hotsot was for my DS :/

In some commercial don't they show 5 Nintendo DS connected to some kind of mobile hotspot? At the very least that shows it's not a problem with the network rejecting the connection to the Nintendo servers. If that was a Pre commercial for the mobile hotspot, then I feel outright scammed.
  11.    #11  
    I FOUND A WORK AROUND!

In order to connect the DS to the Pre's mobile hot spot you must immediately plug the phone into the charger as you press the button to connect your DS to the network. Don't ask me why this work but for whatever odd reason it does.
  12.    #12  
    I FOUND A WORK AROUND!

In order to connect the DS to the Pre's mobile hot spot you must immediately plug the phone into the charger as you press the button to connect your DS to the network. Don't ask me why this work but for whatever odd reason it does.

I wanted to reply to you directly so you would get the notification.
    no go for my PS3
    don't know why
    I will test this with my PS3 once I get my new pre plus on monday.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    no go for my PS3
    don't know why
    Try plugging your charger in just a half second or so after you direct your PS3 to connect to the network. Sometimes it takes a few tries initially but eventually it will connect. I've also determined that if you have your Pre connected to a local wifi, then open up the mobile hotspot app, then turn the hotstpot on and let it turn off wifi and load, then press connect to network on your PS3 (or DS), then connect your charger immediately after clicking connect to network on your handheld gaming device, you will have a better chance of connecting. I know it seems like a pain in the ***, but it's worked after a few tries with my DS everytime. Then for whatever reason after the initial connection it has no problem connecting again after I disconnect it.
  16.    #16  
    Try plugging your charger in just a half second or so after you direct your PS3 to connect to the network. Sometimes it takes a few tries initially but eventually it will connect. I've also determined that if you have your Pre connected to a local wifi, then open up the mobile hotspot app, then turn the hotstpot on and let it turn off wifi and load, then press connect to network on your PS3 (or DS), then connect your charger immediately after clicking connect to network on your handheld gaming device, you will have a better chance of connecting. I know it seems like a pain in the ***, but it's worked after a few tries with my DS everytime. Then for whatever reason after the initial connection it has no problem connecting again after I disconnect it.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    no go for my PS3
    don't know why
    Try plugging your charger in just a half second or so after you direct your PS3 to connect to the network. Sometimes it takes a few tries initially but eventually it will connect. I've also determined that if you have your Pre connected to a local wifi connection and follow the succession of steps by: opening up the mobile hotspot app, then turn the hotstpot on and let the pre disconnect from the wifi connection and load, then press connect to network on your PS3 (or DS), then plug in your charger to the Pre immediately after clicking connect to network on your handheld gaming device, you will have a better chance of connecting. I know it seems like a pain in the ***, but it's worked after a few tries with my DS everytime. Because the DS won't connect to a WPA/WPA2 I am using an open connection setting on my Pre.
    I know how to get this to work.

The issue with the DS disconnecting right away has to do with how your Palm Pre switches its 3G connection once a device connects. Because Verizon keeps track of the data you use on a hotspot versus your normal 3G connection, the Pre needs to switch its 3G credentials. The problem is that the Pre doesn't do this when you turn on the hotspot; it does it when you connect a device TO the hotspot. When the DS connects to the Pre, the DS sees no internet connection because the Pre is still switching credentials, so it drops the connection to the Pre almost immediately.

What you need to do is get a device that's smarter about connecting to a wireless hotspot and connect that first and leave it connected, and then connect your DS. In my case, I used my iPod Touch to connect to my Pre's hotspot and I left it on. After the iPod had a steady connection to the Pre, I connected my DS to the Pre and didn't have any issues.

Keep in mind that you have to do this every time, and it's best if you leave your second device on while connecting to the net with your DS.