Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi there, I'm a long time Palm OS user; I had a Treo 600, 650, and 680 all without a data plan.

With the Pre and Pixi having Wifi, I'm hoping to use either one without a data plan as well. How does the WebOS deal with fetching new data? Can I turn all data fetching on manual mode, and only fetch data when I'm on a Wifi connection? Emails, Facebook app, MMS, Voicemail, etc??

I'm with AT&T now and probably going to need to stick with them and get either the Pixi or Pre once they come out in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the help!
    As far as I've ever heard, you have to sign up for a data plan when you purchase a Pre, Pixi, or really any smartphone on any of the carriers. I could be wrong, though.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    need a data plan
    data plan required. But, they restructured their plans so it might not be as much as you think. My bill actually went down from my centro data plan to my Pre data plan...
  5.    #5  
    I know that with iPhones on ATT, you do need to buy the data plan for at least the first month after buying the phone. But after the first month, you can remove the data service. I know that this can be done. It's more of a question of how much risk I'd be taking that the phone would incur serious charges.
    that is iphone,not palm pre,,good luck with that
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    It probably doesn't cost as much as you think.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I used to be in the same boat as you, I was upset that they were going to 'force' people into data plans... The Centro was the LAST phone on VZW that did not require it. But here's the deal, the Pre/Pixi would be USELESS without it. The day has come that certain devices are BUILT for connectivity, these are 2 examples.

What I can say is that you will NOT regret it...and you WILL end up using it (and RELYING on it!!! haha) Just jump in baby. DO IT!
    I had a similar trick for my last phone, a blackjack II on ATT. I was able to run it with unlimited data until the rebate cleared, then switch to voice only.

You can always go into a store and ask. Just ask a salesguy not in front of the manager who are always pressuring the upsale.

btw...I was paying $55 for voice and some texts on att, and now I pay 60 (after work discount) for voice, unlimited data and texts.
    I cant imagine not having a data plan!!! I checked my net usage for the last couple months and it was outrageous!
    I don't even think these phones work correctly if you dont have data. So many of the features rely on it. Why wouldnt you want it?
    You can't even start the phone without it connecting on the data network and syncing the Palm profile. Sprint has the cheapest all inclusive plans of anyone and I can't imagine trying to get a smart phone without data. By the way, Sprint's partner, Virgin Mobile, just announced they will be having a $25 phone plan that includes unlimited data and text, but you have to buy the phone (no subsidies.) Not sure if a WebOS device will work on that network, now or ever.
    What if someone wants a smartphone for the calendar, tasks, contacts, memos, etc., but doesn't care about internet and email? What if it is mostly used as a "palm pilot" with a phone, but doesn't care about internet?
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    I don't even think these phones work correctly if you dont have data. So many of the features rely on it. Why wouldnt you want it?
    Yep, it's like having a PC with a dial-up connection. You wouldn't have much luck getting OTA updates, chasing embedded links, etc. Everything assumes a broadband connection in how they design products.

Starting to see that in cameras, cars, etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    What if someone wants a smartphone for the calendar, tasks, contacts, memos, etc., but doesn't care about internet and email? What if it is mostly used as a "palm pilot" with a phone, but doesn't care about internet?
    That's how I used my Treo and Centro. The early generation "smart phones" could work with no data plan. If you don't need internet access, that might be the best route for you. I only moved from my Centro to the Pre because I wanted a 3G connection because tethering is very important to my work.

VZ changed the way their data plans work for next-gen smartphones, so my monthly cost even went down a bit (once they stopped charging for hot spot).

You should price out some plans and see if it's more than what you are paying now. THe plans keep changing but you have to look for that info and assume there are new plans that are different (and usually better) than what you have now. It never hurts to ask...
    Then buy a bunch of Treos and Centros on eBay.
    It isn't 2005 anymore, smartphones have to use the web to work. Think about the Treo 700p when they did their OS fix, you had to connect to a computer to do it.
    Now, tap the update the button and whammo, you're set.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    That is how I operate, too (came from a 700p). However, the Pre is set up to sync with the "cloud." This means using the internet. I still sync with my Palm Desktop using Chapura Echo, and it works great for me. But, my boss (who also has a Pre) has been using Google Calendar, so I have to keep it synced up all of the time.

Most everyone is right, though. It's not as bad as you think to have a data plan. I did a detailed review of my account and was able to make enough changes that I am paying the same amount now as when I didn't have a data plan.
    Nicky
    i don't understand why a data service is required i really don't see the point. So many more people would get smartphones if it wasn't for the data service. Wifi is alot more accessible through library restaurants hotel schools university campus homes even some wifi cities like phili. I right now i put my account on hold cause i lost my job so i don't use my pre as a phone however i do use it as a pda and it works great. I would always get the data service but people still like options.
    Then this would be the wrong phone for them. Even the internal Palm Profile "wants" to back itself up to the internet.

This is a phone that was designed, from the ground up, to have near-constant internet access.
    You can't activate the phone itself without data, no?

(minus using Meta-Doctor)
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast