Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Then this would be the wrong phone for them. Even the internal Palm Profile "wants" to back itself up to the internet.

This is a phone that was designed, from the ground up, to have near-constant internet access.
    Hence the "web" in WebOS... Otherwise, the Treo/Centro is a great choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregoryj83 View Post
    I know that with iPhones on ATT, you do need to buy the data plan for at least the first month after buying the phone. But after the first month, you can remove the data service. I know that this can be done. It's more of a question of how much risk I'd be taking that the phone would incur serious charges.
    I would be surprised if that were true. Have you seen that documented anywhere?

On the older phones (like my Treo) you could turn off the data plan, but just checking email and getting a single message was about $5 worth of data charges. Since I'm on verizon, I just went in to myverizon and blocked all data access when I didn't need it. But when I needed to add data (tethering required a data plan) for work, I had to pay over $60 more.

With the new Pre+ plans, my data plan is only $29 and the tethering is free, so my monthly cost went down.

Since AT&T doesn't have a tethering option (at least not on iPhones - not sure about others) they are pretty strict about making sure people have a data plan...
    I am with Sprint and got my Pre from my cousin, who had to move to a Blackberry for business. When she had the phone canceled I could still run apps that use the Internet by using WiFi. I played with the phone for several weeks that way without making a call. I was just linking to my wireless router to surf the web and use the apps.

I went to Sprint and asked them if they would let me activate it just as a phone. I was thinking that I could use the Internet/Web Apps when I was in range of WiFi. They would not let me activate it for calling without their Minimum Data Plan. it is not like AT&T where you add the data to voice plans. The Data Plan is a completely separate plan and then you choose the number of minutes you want for it.

I must say for the price though, the "Unlimited Data Plan" beats most other carriers. It is $69 and includes unlimited text, MMS, and Web access. For that price it is 450minutes of talk, free nights, weekends, and mobile-mobile calls (even to other networks). I now call everybody on their cell phones. If you then use one of the discounts (credit union, your work, etc.) it is even cheaper.
    I have been eyeballing the Pre devices on ebay for a while. I'm kind of in the same boat. Everywhere I go has wifi so I really don't want/need a data plan. Or a phone line either. I'm quite happy with my pre-paid (emergencies only) phone.

SirRob94: Were there any apps that just plain didn't work? I can understand GPS not working but. . . facebook? Games? Callender etc? Did they all work in the weeks you were playing with it without any plan?
  5. gmk
    I bought a bad esn Palm Pre Plus on ebay about a month ago for $132. Everything works great when it is withing range of wifi which is most of the time. The functionality while it is offline is also pretty good. It is a 16GB mp3 player, you can watch movies, all of the game work. You have access to all of your emails and calendar infor which downloaded when you were connected to Wifi. It would great if there were some more news programs that downloaded their content to the pre. For example the NYT on the Ipod touch downloads all of the stories automatically when connected. On the Pre you have to manually save any article you want to read later. The LA Times app downloads all of the stories when you pick each category. This is also something all Pre users should want because every one has to use their phone sometimes when it is offline like on an airplane. I highly getting a Palm Pre and using it like an Ipod touch. I paid $132 plus I have a net10 prepaid phone that has 900 minutes and 4 months of service which cost $22. Compare that to what the $69.99 plan on sprint at $1680 for 24 months of service which is even higher on Verizon or AT&T. It is a no brainer I have almost all of the functionality of this great device for a fraction of the price.
    EXACTLY what I wanted to hear gmk. Thank you for your reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wegg_ View Post
    I have been eyeballing the Pre devices on ebay for a while. I'm kind of in the same boat. Everywhere I go has wifi so I really don't want/need a data plan. Or a phone line either. I'm quite happy with my pre-paid (emergencies only) phone.

SirRob94: Were there any apps that just plain didn't work? I can understand GPS not working but. . . facebook? Games? Callender etc? Did they all work in the weeks you were playing with it without any plan?
    Sorry, I just noticed your question.

I believe any application that uses the data will work with Wifi that way. That was my experience, but it can also be proven even with cell phone service by turning on airplane mode & Wifi on at the same time (No cell signal, just Wifi). I just went into Calendar and Facebook on my phone with no problems.
    I been with ATT for a long time and while I did get the unlimited data plan when I got the phone, during the conversation with the sales guy there was a brief mis-communication and he thought I didn't want the plan. During that brief moment, he did not mention anything about needing the plan to get the phone at the rebate price.

If I was a brand new customer it may have been different, but as an upgrader I think you'll be ok. You can probably have them activate the phone at the store without the data plan. As for normal operation, the phone works fine without the data plan. I was in Japan recently, where I had absolutely no phone service and the phone worked as normal as long as I was on wifi.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Quote Originally Posted by Wegg_ View Post

I was off account and onto a month-to-month with AT&T, was ready to switch from my Treo 680 to a Pre. So I told them I'd re-up for 2 years provided they'd waive the data plan requirement. They gulped, then went for it (getting them to unlock the phone - as promised - was entirely another story).

Why no data plan? They want far too much $$/month for it. And wifi works quite well enough for web access, thank you very much. True, a data plan would be a whole lot more convenient, but at the prices AT&T charges? No thank you.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12