Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I believe that I am going to have my Pre swapped out. My earpiece stopped working and I've done every fix imaginable and it's still not working.

I've searched and haven't really found anything similar so thought I'd ask.

That being said, is there anything I need to do to the Pre before I take it in to Sprint? Uninstall UberKernel? Preware? Homebrew? Doctor the phone? Format USB partition? Any other suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks!

--Jay
    I have replaced my phone twice, did a full secure erase and a doctor each time. Doctoring will get rid of any patches, overclocking, home-brew. The tech asked why the phone wasn't activated, I told them i wiped the phone so my personal data was gone.

Pre #1- borked USB port
    Pre #2- Cracked screen

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    If I'm having problems with the phone I usually doctor it as a last resort. If the problem persists then that's when I consider swapping it. I don't think think I'd ever consider swapping a Pre without doctoring first unless it was a physical issue.
    1)sync with palm
    2)backup all photos
    3) write down important memos. They are saved in palm profile but best to be safe.
    4) make a list of all patches and applications including the ones from the app cat.
    5)doctor the phone.
    6) go to store for exchange

Part 2
    1)sync with Palm and reboot
    2) check all memos and contacts.
    3)reload photos
    4) install apps for App cat
    5) reinstall patches.
    And 3 weeks later your done
    Got to love Palm and HP. Where is the cloud? Does it look like white fluffy a bear or angel?
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    If you use Preware, it can be made to retain a list of installed packages and tweaks, in conjunction with the WebOS-Internals "Save-Restore" app.

Within Preware, go to the "saved package list" and press update to save the list.

Then use the Save-Restore App to save your program data form any of your on-board apps that it supports, including Preware.

Keep a copy of your Pre file structure using the USB connection to your computer, being sure to copy the "saverestore" folder.

Swap out your phone, login with your Palm profile on the new phone (accept all updates) ... and install Preware on your new one.

Restore your App data from Save-Restore. You should now be able to access your original save package list, from which you can individually re-install your favorite homebrew apps and patches.

and ... wallah!
    Quote Originally Posted by dhkeller View Post
    If you use Preware, it can be made to retain a list of installed packages and tweaks, in conjunction with the WebOS-Internals "Save-Restore" app.

Within Preware, go to the "saved package list" and press update to save the list.

Then use the Save-Restore App to save your program data form any of your on-board apps that it supports, including Preware.

Keep a copy of your Pre file structure using the USB connection to your computer, being sure to copy the "saverestore" folder.

Swap out your phone, login with your Palm profile on the new phone (accept all updates) ... and install Preware on your new one.

Restore your App data from Save-Restore. You should now be able to access your original save package list, from which you can individually re-install your favorite homebrew apps and patches.

and ... wallah!
    I couldn't have said it better. Although most Sprint technicians are unaware of homebrew, it wouldn't hurt to Doctor your phone.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.

and ... wallah!
    Misspelled French notwithstanding, I can attest this works, even to swap from Sprint to Verizon as I did last week. One caveat, though: before yo restore your patches, ensure you have updated webOS to the very latest version. Not all replacement or even new devices come updated. If you don't, there can be some minor patch issues to clean up. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    One caveat, though: before yo restore your patches, ensure you have updated webOS to the very latest version. Not all replacement or even new devices come updated. If you don't, there can be some minor patch issues to clean up. {Jonathan}
    I can confirm this. The last three phones I got from Sprint all required webos updates right off the bat.

By the way, I was kind of lazy with my exchange. I didn't even think to wipe it and I wasn't too worried because I figure the worst someone would get was my contacts. I actually hadn't intended on an exchange that day. I was picking up another phone when I mentioned the problems I was having with my release day Pre. The salesman said they'd replace it under warranty and I walked out with a new phone.

There are a couple things that didn't restore. 1. All homebrew apps and patches. 2. Contact merging...some was done by default...but I'll have to go back in and merge a bunch more.

One thing I have noticed was the Sprint Navigation has been wayyy more reliable with the new phone. Before I'd get errors with the phone getting the GPS all the time. I would have to reboot and sometimes that didn't fix it. So far, knock on wood, I haven't got a single GPS error with the new phone. It is nice to have a GPS navigation system that is as reliable as my Garmin.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    This worked like a champ. FANTASTIC plan and I'm glad I asked. Thanks everyone!

and ... wallah!
    Well, voilá or not, none of my patches show up on the saved packages list, in Preware. All that's listed are the apps (and some of the apps listed are already installed, since those were downloaded from the App Catalog).

Is the save/restore app supposed to also keep track of patches or just apps?

BTW, just got my trusty launch-date Pre replaced by factory. It held up quite well, but a "new" one was in order.
    just got mine swapped too, the power button died twice in one day. had a USB port crack too, but they would not replace it (tho, the tech said he could if the screen didn't work, heh).

mine was up to date off the bat. nice new refurb, heh. now I need a new screen protector.
    My volume down button has a short so I will be exchanging it. Does anyone know if sprint/palm will send a new device for a swap, like palm used to in the old tree days? I really don't want to wait in line at the sprint store then have them tell me to come back in 48hrs when they get a refurb in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Well, voilá or not, none of my patches show up on the saved packages list, in Preware. All that's listed are the apps (and some of the apps listed are already installed, since those were downloaded from the App Catalog).

Is the save/restore app supposed to also keep track of patches or just apps?

BTW, just got my trusty launch-date Pre replaced by factory. It held up quite well, but a "new" one was in order.
    It has worked for me twice ;-)

Save-Restore backs up the app *data* not the actual application itself.

You do need to restore the data by choosing the "restore application data" from the Save-Restore screen, and making sure the preware option is slid to "on" .... maybe also be certain that you have the latest version.

... if it didn't work, I'm not sure the data was actually saved off of the original device. Sorry.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    dhkeller's method worked like a champ for me. In fact, I REALLY dug it because it let me choose to leave apps and patches out that I really didn't need installed anymore.
    I'm in the process of replacing my phone through Bell. The funny part is that the reason they are sending me a replacement instead of repairing my old phone isn't even the reason I went to Bell in the first place. A couple of months ago my power button stopped working but I learned to live with it by just opening the slider and using patches to reboot easier via the screen. Then last week the microphone died on me. So yesterday I went into Bell and the tech told me they would most likely send my phone for repairs and give me a loaner. He then took my phone to verify the problems and noticed the oreo. It didn't seem that bad to me and I had gotten quite used to it...it wasn't a big deal for me. He told me that the loose slider was a known problem to Palm and that they would likely replace my phone. So I now have a replacement (likely a refurb) on the way, the Pre is in short stock through Bell so I'm looking at probably a couple of weeks. This will be my second phone since I bought new last September. In answer to the OP, I removed my patches via Preware, deleted all homebrew programs, backed up all my videos and pictures onto my PC and turned off Dev Mode. I'm pretty confident there are no "outward" signs of homebrew left on my phone without doctoring it. I did have to run the repair tool because I had manually changed a png when I installed the glass effect and I had to restore it. I also replaced my USB door which I ripped out several months ago. I was lucky when I took it out, the little plastic ball on the end didn't break off, so I just shoved it back in with a jeweller screwdriver. Good as new.
    Then I received an email from Palm this morning with a link to a customer service questionnaire. The email was entirely in french and I couldn't understand it. I guess Palm figured that since I lived in Canada, I must be able to parlez vous francais.
    well got off phone with sprint about volume buttom problem and they are sending me out a free replacement i just need to send old one back. pretty cool avoid waiting at store forever
    I had to send my Pre back to palm for repair/replacement last Wednesday. Before I sent it in, I copied all the pictures and such off in USB mode and then removed all the patches I had installed. Sprint didn't offer to do anything for me except offer to charge me $170 to fix the headphone jack... so I declined and sent it into Palm with 54 days left on my 1-year warranty.

I just got my new Pre today at 3:00 PM and am just about done getting everything back to normal on it. It came with WebOS 1.4.1.1. I noticed the build on this unit is far and away better than my original Sprint Pre.

The keyboard is "more clicky" as opposed to "mushy" of the original. Also the slide is more crisp and seems much more rigid.

Glad to have it back... a week and a few days without a smart phone has been somewhat challenging! But, I did get more stuff done around the house! haha